Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Pirahnna Bytes: you guys need to....
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread

You're hopeless. No point here. Have fun living your angry guy life.

Kevin
Post Sat Dec 08, 2001 10:00 pm

Umbrood
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hehe, lol, rofl, and so on and so forth

With some adjustments this thread could go into any other game forum on the entire net. Someone claims to be this or that to make their argument more valid, someone says, "you troll you lie, me know". And then an epic battle of wits and juvenile trashing of eachothers mothers and their supposed relationship with dogs, etc etc...

I have done this many times, taking the role of the fanboy or the dev or master hacker or whatever. This has 3 advantages:

1. I practice my roleplaying skills as well as my wits.

2. Being non english it also keeps my english language skills up to date.

3. It provides some amusement for me and supposedly for the "foe" as well as the rest of the community, (fanboy vs troll posts always have massive views and replys)

It does NOT however do any of the following:

1. Contribute to the game in any way at all.

2. Boost my credibility, Everyone knows there is no way for me to prove I am who I say. Saying I am über will likely make ppl believe less in me, its a balance.

3. Make my claims more or less valid, allthough this is what I try to achieve, all claims should be read objectively with no regard what so ever to the poster. Saying "This game is M00T and I am a dev so I should know" Hold no more truth then "This game is M00T"

Most ppl do this and we all know it and still we engage in battle, why? Well, all for different reasons I believe, I have stated mine.

Whats yours?

Your Friend
Umbrood
Post Tue Dec 18, 2001 12:30 pm
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Tue Dec 18, 2001 4:47 pm
Umbrood
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

No idea if that was directed at me or someone else Jemy, if it was pls clarify?

Umbrood
Post Tue Dec 18, 2001 5:36 pm

Wow. What started off as a discussion on the games has turned into a flame war. I was really interested in discussing some further points about the first post. I see merit in it and have my own contributions to make to those points initially provided, but now I know if I post I will simply be ignored or flamed by the infestation of fanbois in this thread. Can a new thread be started on the topic of possible contructive suggestions to Gothic? I just got the game 2 days ago and have played it for over 18 hours since, and it has been a lot of fun. But I would like to provide PB a good suggestion list for their next attempt. Can anyone start one and could the fanbois jsut leave the people who want serious discusion alone?

- J. Kane
Post Tue Dec 18, 2001 6:21 pm

JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Umbrood
-------
Just a joke... A real adventurer should know what that meant

- You better stop waving it like a feather-duster!

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Tue Dec 18, 2001 8:45 pm

Most of the replies to the original post have been in response to the control issue and the various attacks upon personalities. I would think, however, that the more controversial question would be platform. There is no doubt that console games garner many more sales. "Smart" companies would go with that approach. When done right, PC Games can far exceed a console though. The problem is they rarely, if ever, live up to their potential. PC games have unique controllers. The keyboard/mouse combo is THE most versatile controller. Who actually owns one for a console and where do you place the mouse sitting in front of your couch? Gothic's controls were difficult but the potential was there. PC have storable hard drives. The X-box has this as well but, so far, no games actually demand it. EVERY PC Gamer has one which should enable smoother frame-rates, data access, etc. The biggest difference though, is content. How many epic western style RPG's are there for consoles? I love the Final Fantasy series, and am buying a PS2 for that one reason. But, how many games are there like Baldur's Gate (the newest one for PS2 just isn't an RPG, folks), Daggerfall (or the upcoming Morrowind), and Planescape. None. PC Gamers expect deeper themes in there games (ie. the deep spirituality of Planescape) then console gamers. Gothic was an enjoyable, if shallow and frustrating, ride. It was a step in the right direction. It will never go mainstream. But, we pc gamers appreciate the attempt and look forward to the game that will meet the expectations of these, the most demanding of audiences.
Post Wed Dec 19, 2001 12:31 am

DABhand
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I think one word sums this all up

HUH?

Post Wed Dec 19, 2001 1:10 am

ALL I GOT TO SAY TO PB IS, PATCHES PATCHES,AND MORE PATCHES
Post Wed Dec 19, 2001 6:13 am

JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Funny, since it doesnt need any.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Wed Dec 19, 2001 11:11 am
Apalos
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

stfu and play the game
Post Fri Dec 21, 2001 9:11 am

I haven't gone through the trouble of registering here yet... was just poking about the posts. Searching for others who were having the same kinds of 'issues' with the control system in this game, that I am having.
Needless to say, there are more than a few of us who exist.

Fact is, PB DID go a long way out of their way, to not only do it 'differently', but to do it 'inconsistently' as well.

For example. Try using the enter key on the keypad to initiate binding of a key. You can't. Why? Because it's treated as a different 'enter' key from that on the keyboard proper, as it should be. Now, try binding that same 'enter key' (the one on the keypad) to any in game function. You can't. Why? Beats me. It seems at the point of binding the key, it is then determined to be the 'enter' key, and cannot be bound. This is just one of the myriad, and seemingly deliberate, annoyances that this game offers.

No ability to bind mouse buttons to the various functions in the game in a customizable way, is another MAJOR annoyance. All of which could have been avoided.

The control scheme does not, in the end, achieve some kind of higher degree of world manipulation than other, more audience friendly control systems do. The awkwardness of combat does not somehow glean you the ability to fight better. It seems it was simply created this way because someone decided that a 'totally different' control system would make the game 'unique'...
Unique, does not imply 'good'.

I agree with DarkSharp... (in all respects, in this case, including the previous post regarding the Fanboi. *lol* All too true). They did not aim this product 'at the market'... In fact, they appeared not to have 'aimed' at all. They simply took a shotgun approach, hit on a few 'concepts' that seemed appealing, and set it loose on the community. A 'learning' experience such as this for any development house, can be costly... and it may well prove to have a very steep 'tuition' cost for PB.

They could redeem themselves, at least for many, by revamping (or at least permitting greater flexibility) in the control system set up. Permitting mouse button bindings, for example, would be a handy inclusion. (what a novel thought!)
Darksharp is right also, in stating that those who are 'on the edge' about whether to enter 'buyers remorse' about the purchase of this game based upon the controls, and simply return it, will spread the word to the community at large that the game isn't worth buying. Yes, I know it's just a single negative point (though there are many others)... but with Xicat as the publisher, 'word of mouth' is about the only other hope PB has of getting this game sold through. And that door is going to close on PB quickly, especially with less experienced gamers... who want to be able actually 'play' the game, rather than spend ages trying to assimilate a poorly designed control system. Word of mouth can, and will likely be the undoing of this games (and possibly PB's) future.
I played the demo, and attributed the poor controls to a game in development. I was sadly disappointed when I purchased the game, and discovered that the controls were actually intended to be this bad.

If anyone at PB is listening... now's the time to get a clue, guys. (Okay, actually, prior to release was the time to get the clue, but hey, maybe they're slow ) Pool of Radiance, Myth Drannor was released so full of bugs, that you couldn't even install it to any drive but the 'C' drive (even if you tried... I mean c'mon, what kind of Q/A is that?) So maybe, they can patch the holes, and seriously rethink the controls, and let this game be as much 'fun' as it has the potential for... Because controlling the game at present, is about as "intuitive" as driving a car with a shovel, and has all the grace of a flying forklift.

Post Wed Dec 26, 2001 6:39 am

Sorry to hear about those of you who have control issues. I like the controls.

Are the developers of Gothic more interested in making money, so they can be Darksharps hero, or are they more interested in making a game that someone will like enough that the player is considered a "fanboi"?

In my opinion the game is so fun because it does not "dumbdown" for the impatient person.

In the long run I hope PB sees that they will be happier making the games they like to make, rather than putting out console crap or trying to spoonfeed to crybabies. For those of you with legitimate bugs, my comments are not directed toward you.

yours truly,
Fanboi of Gothic
Post Wed Dec 26, 2001 9:25 am

Arms Of Dirt
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I know there are those of you that 'enjoy' the controls. My hats off to you. To me, playing this game is like sitting down at a restaurant that serves totally unique, and delicious food, that you really can't find anywhere else. The only caveat to getting to eat this food, is that the restaurant owners have decided to tie your hands tied behind your back, only permitting you to use your feet to hold your utensils, and eat and drink with. Sure, I can learn how to do that. I'm a human being, and can overcome lots of handicaps. I want to understand WHY I have to do that. The food does not taste any better as a result of my being forced to eat it with my feet. It does not enhance the food experience in any way, and I gain no additional insights into my food by being forced to eat it like this. I'm proud for those of you who can cling to (and seem to enjoy clinging to) the 'bragging rights' if you will, of having eaten such a delicious meal, entirely with your feet. I'm just one of those folks who wonders 'why' about such things as being forced to eat with your feet, when there are other, better, and more intuitive ways of eating.

Deliberately making a control system that seems hell bent on avoiding (where ever possible) the use of the convenient pointing device attached to your system (known as a Mouse ) is unnecessarily frustrating. Given a choice between being hampered or helped by a control system, most people would prefer to be helped by it, so they could focus on the more important aspects of the game. Just as in my restaurant analogy above, I CAN learn to control this game, just as I CAN learn to eat such good food, with my feet... it's just so awkward to do so, that I'm not sure I'll finish my meal, no matter how good it might be. What's more, I'd never eat at that restaurant again, even if I did finish the meal. And, though I'd joke about that 'experience' in retrospect, I'd truly have regretted stopping there to eat, having asked for a refund on my meal.

Much the same experience as I am having with this game.

Bottom line... The 'game' is good... the controls are needlessly preventing it from being 'great'. While I am sure it can succeed with such a handicap, it will be despite the awkwardness of the controls, rather than because of their intuitive elegance. And it simply did not have to be that way. For me, I'll forego the potential tastiness of the food, and find instead, restaurants that let me eat in a more intiutive way. I always prefer the better restaurants to the fast food places, as I love the ambiance and atmosphere they can create. But being needlessly forced to learn to eat with my feet in order to get at the food, is where I draw the line.
Post Wed Dec 26, 2001 4:58 pm

I would just like to add a few things. First is that I really love this game. Second, I definitely think it could use a patch. Aside from the various minor bugs, there is the issue which everyone keeps bringing up...

I'm one of those that ended up liking the control system in the end. Even so, I'm not so short-sighted to realise that other people may completely disagree and want the flexibility to customise the control to their liking, much like you can do with other games. I'm pretty sure WHY it did not get included, but that doesn't mean it's too late to enhance the game a little bit.

- Jon
Post Wed Dec 26, 2001 6:45 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next