RPGDot Forums > Games Comments

Author Thread
hoyp

this game is BOUND to be overrated
Post Sun Dec 29, 2002 6:07 am

Bach & Baroque
Village Leader
Village Leader

It's getting rave reviews already (an extremely high 97% at a site I can't recall at the moment), and I can't wait to try it. The two Nintendo 64 Zeldas (Ocarina of Time & Majora's Mask) were ingenius.
Post Sun Mar 30, 2003 3:35 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Its very good, I have been playing it for about two weeks.

I wouldnt go as crazy as the reviewers are. I dont think its as good as Ocarina of time, but its definately better than Majora's Mask. (That 3 day repeating thing really sucked).

It has some real nice features, like people helping you now. Its not like you are saving the world on your own like all the other games.

I definately recommend it.
Post Fri Apr 04, 2003 2:20 pm
Dov
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Sucks. I don't understand how reviewers can give it a score of almost 10 and then describe its gameplay as "same old, same old." Also, every review I've read for it says that the last 1/4 of the game, the climax, the part that should be the most exciting and fun, is boring, tedious, and a serious reflection of bad development decisions. How does that justify near perfect scores?
Post Sat Apr 05, 2003 7:57 pm
Ariel
Harmonious Angel
Harmonious Angel

I thoroughly dislike the graphics. They have done to Zelda what Lucas Arts had done to Monkey Island in part 3.

Sure, the gameplay might have been good and all, but I could never accept the overzealous and whimsical cartoon graphics, which effectively prevented me from enjoying the game as I would have liked to. No nostalgia feeling, except for the title music, and the little atmosphere that was there, compared to MI1 & 2, was overshadowed by Guybrush's skinny ferret look - he seemed even younger than in MI1!

On a related matter, I also don't like several Disney movies too much, for the simple fact that the artists tried to be "too artistic" (Hercules, Mulan, and some others). Treasure Planet, however, was at least visually very pleasing, even though the story might have been just "good".

Now, I've always liked Zelda, but the new look is just cheesy.
Post Sat Apr 05, 2003 8:31 pm
Applebrown
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Hi there Arhu. Have you played it?

While I agree with you on the Monkey Island 3 front that Threepwood looked more like a wimp, I completely but respectfully disagree with you on the Zelda front.

After playing through the game, and, actually since last year's E3 where I couldn't stop playing the demo, I've been floored by the style. The animation is so fluid, all the enemies are brought back to life with more animation and character than ever before, and link's expressions are pretty unique to games. Did you know that if you move the analog stick a little one way, his eyes will move that same way, following your movements?

It's a different style to be sure, but I think they nailed the look, as opposed with Curse of Monkey Island where they went a little overboard, especially with the protagonist. There is nothing in this latest Zelda that speaks of overdoing it graphically. It's simply Zelda done in a cartoon style, but with animation that you wouldn't believe unless you experienced it first hand. Anyway... back to writing my Zelda review for another website.
Post Sat Apr 05, 2003 11:08 pm
Ariel
Harmonious Angel
Harmonious Angel

Hi Apple!

No, I haven't played it, I've only seen screenshots. I did read about the facial expressions though, and the new engine that allows for much livelier characters, which was one of the reasons why it looks like it looks. Still I'm not at all happy with that particular style. I've seen lots of animes, cartoons and some Console RPGs, and few of them looked as (sorry) silly to my eyes as this one. This may very well be unjustified prejudice, and I'm sure I'll be happier when I eventually play it, but otherwise this "plain" cartoon outfit is simply not my cup of tea. It just feels out of place...

Well, so much for my opinion regarding static images, as I can't comment on anything further.

€: For another website?
Post Sun Apr 06, 2003 2:43 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

It sure looks a bit strange, but if it's just half as good - gameplay-wise - as its predecessors it's a must-have for me.
Post Sun Apr 06, 2003 9:21 am
Applebrown
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Still I'm not at all happy with that particular style.

The exact echo of countless people before they bought and played the game. (This from IGN's forums) Nearly all of them, afterward:

"I was wrong! "Celda" rules. I can't imagine it being any different."
Post Sun Apr 06, 2003 2:19 pm
Dov
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

I guess I never got why people were so worked up about the facial animations. "Look! His eyes follow things on screen! WHEEEEEEE!" It's been done before in other games, and it doesn't improve the gameplay in any way. I still don't think this looks like an anime, but more like Scooby-Doo. I'm sorry, but I don't want to play a game in which my enemies vanish in clouds of pink puffy smoke or the main character's face is distorted like in a slapstick cartoon. It's not like I hate "kiddie" games, either: I've been playing Animal Crossing non-stop since the day it came out. They've betrayed the trust of many Zelda fan's by taking it in this direction, and I know many people wouldn't be so opposed to this game if they hadn't been so dishonest about it. They show off a highly detailed, bump-mapped demo of Link and Ganondorf fighting when the GameCube is first unveiled, then they show Celda at E3 and get all bent out of shape when IGN showed pictures of the game because they hadn't had time to soften up the American markets to be ready for the new look. Either tell us one way or the other, but don't dangle the carrot in front of our nose and then snatch it away, okay?
Post Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:56 pm
DarkWeaver
A Dark Prince
A Dark Prince

I dont like the new look but its a very good game!
Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:53 am