Usergroups
First impressions thread
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
ziBzi
Necromancer
Necromancer

I enjoyed the little i played of this game. It was some what fun. But the Rpg aspects in the game are very linear. The quests are boring, and lead to no real goal. The interaction with NPC's is very plain, and has no real meaning.
It was a good RTS game. And it was a good RTS/Rpg as it is if not the only but the best of its kind. But an Rpg stand alone it could never be.

I must also say that the Intro was out-standing! one of the best since Warcraft 3. It is good to see that blizzard is having an impact on the gaming world and the creators.

The following is not based on the whole game. Just a couple of hours playing as a Customer!

playability: 3/5
learning curve: 4/5
graphics: 3/5
sound: 5/5
bugs: Loads!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:17 pm
The wizard
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

THat day was my birthday. I enjoyed the game as well. It has action that a lot of other games just don't have.
Post Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:23 pm
Gothdick
Village Leader
Village Leader

the game is nice, thats all i can say

it seems to be devided into two distinc game modes... RTS and another, more nwn gamestyle. The RPG aspect is very linear, but its not the basis of the game and i believe its still a step up from the rest. All RPG quests are simply so you can get better weapons/armour/runes for use in both RTS and 'hero' game modes.

The RTS aspect is very nicely done, its not easy as some RTS games tend to be which is a godsend. If you ever tried to take stoneblade mountain with level 5 workers you see what i mean.

One thing i did think it needed was a 'battle-pause' so you could ponder/change your strategy. Not needed in the RTS aspect as it is needed when using only heroes though. The pause, as it is freezes the screen and doesnt let you issue orders to your heroes which sucks. IT makes spell casting redundant in my opinion. Another thing i was a little peeved about was that your avatar would not engage enemeis closeby to him. This is good in some situations, but there definately should be a battle script selection, and for that matter there should be for your heroes aswell, eg tell a mentalist to automatically use spells, and preists to heal freindlies when they need it (as units do in RTS mode)

you see my point.... it is hard to control 6 units who will do very little without your orders other than charge an enemy, they wont heal you unless you tell them to, they will melee attack an enemie even if they are armed with a pair of tweasers but have immense superdooper cosmic powers in magic. This would all be fine if there was a battle pause mode. It is very difficult to effectively (and individually) controll 6 units in real time, all that you can really do effectively is select all of them and click to attack an enemy.

infact, in RTS mode it is not uncommon that enemies will attack you from numerous different locations, and you find yourself shooting back and forth trying to quell such attacks, while trying to make your heroes cast spells and follow quests, at the same time building town and endlessly trying to get more resources.

In fact all of this makes the game very hard, which is either a good thing or a bad thing. I suppose a RTS should be RT, but as it merges two distinc styles of game some features get lost. I ended up filling my runeboard with warriors even when mages might have been more suitable, but i just dont have the lightening quick mousework to be able to individually controll them, the saving grace of this however is when you click and enemy (or freindly) and available spells for that target drop down from each character, definately a usefull feature, but as soon as you have several enemies again it becomes clumsy and fidelly.

all that aside its still a great game, just could use a pause mode
Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:59 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Itīs seems you donīt understand the interface. If you create a group with all magic units and order them to hold ground they go nowhere without another order. This prevents melee combat.

The attacks from many sides can be avoided if you destroy a few camps in RPG mode before you activate a monument. Can be done on most maps.
Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:09 am
Gothdick
Village Leader
Village Leader

ok you sussed me out im just shit at it

but its a damn nice game, even if you do seem to be a little detatched from it at times it allways seems to drag you back into the story. A lot going for it fantasywise, which is what an RPG should offer. Not so much in the way of side quests (eg they seem a little beneath your importance when you command great armies, but then again, a dwarf needs his eyeglasses) but they are a very nice distraction, its not so much being immersed in the life of the rune warrior, but more immersed in a world of war and fantasy, the rune warrior is just a part of this world. In which case its not so much 'role playing' maybe im getting to deep, but it really doesnt strike me as a traditional RPG at all, and not just because of the RTS aspect, and not that that is a bad thing at all
Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:19 am
Cryptor69
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

;)

zI just bought this game on the weekend, it was dirt cheap and looked like it could possibly keep me busy for a day. And, hey, this is a pretty good game ! Not too hard, not too much thinking involved, mix of rpg and rts, this is great. For the price that it currently is available for I highly recommend it.

PS: 6 races to play in rts multiplayer ! cool !
Post Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:48 am
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I concur ...it's a fairly decent little ( actually quite a big single player camapign ) game this one. Nice atmosphere, good graphics and not insanely difficult ....yet not something you will finish in a hurry. If you like the original then get the expansion ... The Breath of Winter. Spruces up what is already a very polished product.
Post Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:43 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

The 2nd add-on enters beta soon. Phenomic is looking for beta testers.
Post Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:46 pm
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Cool ...thanks for the heads-up. I'll pop over to the JoWood forums and have a look.
Post Fri Aug 06, 2004 6:33 pm
bigboy_
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Hi!

I installed the game yesterday and I`ve completed the prologue and the first level of the game. I really like it....it`s kind of a start of a new game type...I would call this an RPS(Role Playing Strategy) . I really enjoy how they combined the rpg and strategy elements...it is really fun. The strategy part of the game is outstanding from my opinion. The rpg part comes in second for me, but I really love to get expirience for my hero.
I`d rate this game 90%
Graphics:8/10
Gameplay:9/10
Sounds:10/10
Enjoyement lasting:8/10
I can`t wait to finish the game and play with the first addon.....breath of winter or what`s it`s name
Post Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:28 pm
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Yup ..it's called Breath of Winter.

If you like the game already, you may want to get the expansion now. It has a few enhancements that can be used in the original campaign ( spells, items, interface improvements etc ).

Also has a skirmish mode for single & multi player.

There's going to be another expansion circa December. Get playing !
Post Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:20 pm