Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
G2DNdR ETM v1.0
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Should I release the files for ETM or not?!!
Yes, do it now!
44%
 44%  [ 4 ]
No way! Never ever!
55%
 55%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 9

Author Thread
cothyso
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

G2DNdR ETM v1.0

Hello!

I didn't got any new recently from the Kiwi_Boy and the rest of the team regarding thestatus of the v1.1 corrections to G2DNdR ETM v1.0. I've also checked the thread, and it seems that the last post lasta from the beginning of this month, so almost a month old.

I've got many requests from ppl willing to do all sort of mods for it, smaller ones or big ones. Also, I've got some requests regarding complete translations for italian, spanish, hungarian and czech languages.

As you might know, I always was a busy man (as I am the lead designer, community laison manager and public relations manager for an upcoming MMORPG game), but things got really nuts in the latest time, and I don't really have time to support everyone wanting to use the ETm to make other mods/translations. Also, there's stilll no official word from PB and JoWood regarding an eventually official english addon for G2.

Because all of the above, I am really thinking about releasing all the files and tools for this mod on internet. If i'll make this, some things WILL happen:

1) the probabilty of an official english and other language comercial addon might be forever borowwed, as everyone will have free access to those files, and free translations will probably pop up all over the place.

2) also, a lot of mods will also pop up instantly, small or big ones, good and bad alike... and the result will be a huge mess, as there's no way the quality ofthese mods can be forced to stay up with the quality of ETM one.

3) I don't have time to make a comprehensive and complete readme files regarding how those files must be used, you'll have to have VERY good knowledge of programming (!!!), G2 modkit tools and UltraEdit scripting language to understand, make them work and use them properly

So, what do you think i should do?!!
Post Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:14 am
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I have never seen the ability to create mods for a game to actualy damage it, regardless of how many crappy mods come out. So I dont think thats a valid reason *not* to release it.

I personaly dont care if it prevents a retail DNDR being released in English since I am already playing the German modded version. But I know there are still quite a few poeple on this site waiting for a retail release, so you'll definately want to take them into consideration.

Its kind of 50/50 realy. Do you help the modding community while possibly damaging the English addon release, or do you wait for the addon (Which still might never be released) and ignore the community?

Tough one...
Post Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:01 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

Please don't release them, the risk of crappy translations and mods would only damage the very thin reputation the G2 has now.
Post Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:37 pm
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

I still hope to get the time to review the latest files and then get them sent to you Cothyso, so that the final and best translation could be released I don't know when, but I will try to find that time. I think that at least until that, what you know is better if it remains with you, so that no-one could mess something up or claim something what's not theirs. I know that you're very busy too, and hopefully when we've done the review, you'll have the time to "pack it all together" and release the final
Post Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:49 pm