Random Resets :(
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
Piotrek
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Random Resets :(

I've been expecting random resets of Gothic 2 and its as i say purely random.
I've played it 5 days without any crashes when at some day when i was running away from bandits my comp just reseted. And similar reset happened twice when my hdd didint manage loading textures and game ended with reset.

I've tried all. Graphic minimum, no sound, standing and doing nothing. To no effect. Sooner or later i have system reset.

And it happens only in gothic so i dont know what to do

And i wanted to become mage so much.

Please help guys cuz i tried all things
Post Wed Apr 30, 2003 3:41 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Due to the experience with the German version I´m pretty sure the problem is caused by your machine. I had something similar, it turned out to be heat problems.
Gothioc 2 is a real stress test for your PC. Sometimes problems only surface when you´re running at 100% load.

You could try to set your system swap file to a large fixed value, for example MIn=Max=1.5GB.
The AGP aperture (sp?) size also shouldn´t be seet to a too small value.
You should watch your system and CPU temperature. Random reboots can indeed be caused by heat. (either watch the temperature in your BIOS after a reboot or install for example Motherboard Monitor). If your CPU temperature is over 60°C you should try to play with an open case. Then the problem should be gone.

Plus the usual things: run a new virus scanner (once), run AdAware to remove Spyware (once), close every program running in the background (always before you start G2), defrag your HDD. All this just in case some unwanted program causes trouble.
Post Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:09 pm
Piotrek
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath

Gothioc 2 is a real stress test for your PC. Sometimes problems only surface when you´re running at 100% load.

Its possible cus as i said earlier:
"I've played it 5 days without any crashes when at some day when i was running away from bandits my comp just reseted. And similar reset happened twice when my hdd didint manage loading textures and game ended with reset."
but im pretty sure that ghotic shold have had plenty ocasions to stress my comp and reset it cuz this resets started to happen after 5 days of playing.

That is great riddle for me
Post Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:31 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Another idea would be to borrow another 256 MB from a friend. G2 works better with lots of memory.
Post Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:05 pm
Piotrek
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

BTW for those of you who have similar problems my comp specs are:

I got SB Live, 1.8 Athlon, 256 Ram DDr, Gf4 4200 TI. WIN XP

I got Polish wersion and its 1.30 so any patches like 1.8h, j or k wont help i think. Unless im mistaken.

But im going into woods for my free 4 days time so i wont se Gothic by then. Too bad im not gonna be mage before i go
Post Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:24 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Well, 256 MB RAM is the absolute minimum for GII, you should borrow another 256 just as Gorath said. Then again, I had similar problems with Gothic I and those turned out to be power-source related.
Post Wed Apr 30, 2003 10:28 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

The thing with resets is that they are not random...
Critical heat of cpu would result in instant shutdown, not reset, and the gpu overheat would force your driver in an, so called, infinite loop...
Just thought I should mention it, though I'm not sure how exactly to help you.
Post Mon May 12, 2003 1:11 pm