if you were to design a RPG....
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
raspewtin
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

...how would yours be different/better?

I would eliminate the getting treasure from every creature you killed, make mine purely skill based experience (no levels of any kind), and mine would be in a totally aquatic underwater environment, and you'd choose between what kind of fish/invertebrae/etc you were. six degrees of freedom :smile:

[ This Message was edited by: raspewtin on 2002-02-15 12:27 ]
Post Fri Feb 15, 2002 6:26 pm
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

my perfect rpg is discribed here:

http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=47&forum=5&10

Hx
Post Fri Feb 15, 2002 8:52 pm
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

Something very few games have, Character Development. And I don't mean leveling up or getting new skills I mean the characters actually having character (in a literary sense). The ONLY game I can think of off-hand that had enough character development to really make me care out them is Torment esp. Annah.
Post Sat Feb 16, 2002 10:35 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I liked Morte. For all his wisecracking he's your most loyal friend... and loyalty is a precious commodity in Sigil.

All of the characters were well done...Vhailor didn't have much character growth... but then again he had Keith David (voice of Goliath from Gargoyles and Spawn from the HB0 cartoon series) as a voice actor and some REALLY cool lines.

Yes... I agree. We definately need more of THAT in CRPGS.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sat Feb 16, 2002 4:44 pm
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

I never used Vhailor; I liked the rest of my party to much to get rid of any of them. Except Ignus, but he was the only mage, other than Darkon, that I had. I liked my party so much that after my first time through I had to immediately play again, so I could find a way to save my companions from death at the hands of the Transcendent One, and I found two ways . I kind of liked Morte to, he annoyed me at first, but after a while he grew on me. I loved the conversations between him, Grace, and Annah. Especially Annah! Is it just me or does that Tierfling tail of her's get kind of sexy after a while. That and, if you choose the right chat options, she is far more loyal than Morte. I was however very sad that there wasn't a way to save The Nameless One from Baator, or wherever it was he went. Now that's a good character, when you not only feel sorry for his unfortunate end, but feel bad for one of the characters (Annah of course) that follows you.
Post Sat Feb 16, 2002 5:00 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Right, Torment was very nice in ways of character development, PC and NPCs alike. Wanted to be an evil guy? Alright, so I was one. Wanted to be the usual nice Jaz? Okay, so I was nice.

I didn't like Annah too much, though, she was even more of a whiner than I usually am . But I liked Vhailor, dumped Ignus (whom I outrightly hated) for him... even though from time to time I had to park him someplace where he couldn't do any serious damage to my reputation.

And yes, I wished I could have saved my poor Nameless alter ego from going to hell, that was so sad .

Post Sun Feb 17, 2002 2:00 pm
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

I was neutral good too. I think to truly appreciate Annah you just have to be a guy. She was hot, dangerous, and vulnerable all at once. If she were real, I'd want to both protect her, and, well I want to keep this clean so I'll just say, you know what else I wanted, or would have wanted were she real. I not quite to the point where I start actively having those kinds of thoughts about a fictional videogame character.
Have you every noticed how almost every thread ends up talking about something(s) compleately different from what it started as.
Post Sun Feb 17, 2002 2:18 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

quote:

On 2002-02-17 08:18, Suicidal Cockroach wrote:
I think to truly appreciate Annah you just have to be a guy.

I guess so. Yeah, right, that must be it.

quote:
Have you ever noticed how almost every thread ends up talking about something(s) compleately different from what it started as.

Yes... people get talkative nowadays.
Post Sun Feb 17, 2002 2:36 pm
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

I liked Annah too, eventhough the thief class is not really well implemented in Torment (there is not a lot to do for a thief).
I especially like her in the leprechaun-mod they made for her
Check that out here.

[ This Message was edited by: Myrthos on 2002-02-18 05:15 ]
Post Mon Feb 18, 2002 9:36 am

Annah is really cool, too bad you can't marry her or something like that. And Morte is very funny, his comments are really cool, especially when you let him talk to people without interfering yourself.
Vhailor was actually one of my favourite characters, big man in shiny armor with huge axe.
Post Mon Feb 18, 2002 10:40 am

EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Ok, to try and get back on track and away from "Why Torment won RPG of the year" (which it did)...

If I were to make a perfect RPG... I'd ensure that every character option had a way to win the game, and make it different (even slightly). The Quest for Glory series did that (one of its stronger points). The Paladin won the game different than the thief, etc.

If I was going to involve a talking skill of some sort, I'd make sure that a character could talk his way out of most fights, even random encounters -- if I had them -- and get experience for it. Comparable to a person who bashed their skulls in. I'd just make it as hard to beat them by conversation as they would be by magic/weapons/whatever.

I'd make thieves work. Not dominate, but work. Like the speaking option, I'd award experience and make it as difficult to sneak by as beat them.

Balance. Balance is good.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Mon Feb 18, 2002 1:39 pm
Logan
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I'd make mine a MMOLG - much higher revenue potential.

Mine is described here:

http://www.geocities.com/logan9a/DreamFAQ.htm
Post Tue Feb 19, 2002 3:53 am
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

A few things I'd add to a game, and I do like the 'swords and magic' type of game, is I'd add certain abilities, like if you come to a closed door, I like the idea of having a skill to put your ear to the door to try and identify monsters, and if you do it right, you get an advantage when you bust down the door.

I also would try and take advantage of directional sound effects more, the speakers we use have gotten better, but the game makers don't seem to take advantage of it all that much. Sound is one thing I'd emphasize if I ever made a CRPG.

One of the things the new Wizardry game did well was if you use a skill, say casting 'Armormelt' even though you're not great in that spell discipline, you still have a chance to improve that skill.

I like the idea that if you obtain a skill, and actually use it, you improve in it and improvements not just coming from gaining levels, but rather successfully using the skills....
Post Tue Feb 19, 2002 4:31 am
The Hulk
Avenger, Defender
Avenger, Defender

EverythingXen, I really liked Morte' too. Especially when he got a critical hit on someone and then said "Did you see that?"

My idea though for a game would be a game that allowed more room for non-violent solutions to problems. I know, some people may think this is stupid or gay, but think about it...It's more realistic, especially in an rpg. I think this could really get more women interested in these types of games. Of course there would be times where violence was unavoidable(you're trapped in a dead-end cave and 10 skeletons are rushing in towards you and are hell-bent on killing you).
To give an example, perhaps you meet a wild animal in the woods. Perhaps you can choose to feed it and befriend it instead of killing it and maybe over time you can tame it to some degree? Or instead of having to kill some guy, perhaps you can try to talk to him and let him see your point of view and end up with a new friend instead of the game forcing you to try to kill each other. Of course maybe he doesn't want to hear what you have to say, or maybe you say the wrong thing and mess up your chance, but it would still be nice to see an option like that.
Post Thu Feb 21, 2002 2:28 am

i would like a real rpg based on the nordic myths and vikings!
Post Sun Feb 24, 2002 4:04 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next