Harbinger
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
sealight4
City Guard
City Guard

Harbinger

Don't listen to the nay sayers, Harbinger is a great 30 dollar game! I've only played 4 levels as a gladiator but It has soul. The spirit is there. I might change my mind but so far I'm impressed. No dungeons or Goblins! some sites really bash this game,Let the buyers decide.
Post Sat Mar 01, 2003 9:28 pm
Grifman
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I'll echo that comment. I don't understand the reviews I seen. Some seem to get stuff wrong, other seems petty or pedantic. The game is plain fun. It does not have the depth of Diablo (no special skills), but the story and writing are great, it really draws you in to a real mystery, no more of the same ol' save the world from evil so far. The special abilities - mines, cameras, and proper use of weapon mods requires some planning and thinking. I give the game a solid "8.0". It's definitely not the low 4.5 given out by Gamespot!

Grifman
Post Sun Mar 02, 2003 5:00 am
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hmm...

Not a rpg. Sort of more a platform shooting sort of game, like you would see on playstation.

Kind of interesting. Nowhere near as nice looking as Divine divinity.
Not a 4.5 out of 10. I will give it 6 out of 10. Not good enough for me to buy though.
Post Tue Mar 04, 2003 8:39 am
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

We will have a review of Harbinger up today or tomorrow. I really think the 4.5 at Gamespot was very harsh, and so was the very negative review at RPGCodex. I'll present my thoughts in my review then, for now I will shut up
Post Tue Mar 04, 2003 9:01 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

No kidding, Gamespot ripped it up big time. I was planning on trying it out, I hope they produce a demo pretty soon.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Tue Mar 04, 2003 8:41 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

The reasons given by gamespot' reviewer seem to be very reasonable, and reviews from other game sites are no very good either. I think it would be an average game, maybe above average, with some people really like it style.

It's hard to compete for gamer's money with several upcoming games this month like Splinter Cell, Freelancer, Devastation, etc. I would personally get these games rather than............
Post Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:45 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Our review is up now. Check our front page .
Post Wed Mar 05, 2003 10:32 pm
sealight4
City Guard
City Guard

A fair review, this game is not going to set the world on fire but is a pleasant diversion. I'm seeing dungeons in my sleep! Enclave is next I guess. good job.
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:18 am
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

The demo is released now! The game is pretty good actualy... download the demo, its worth it.

Mirrors:

http://download.games.tiscali.cz/game/demo3/HarbingerDemo.zip

http://www.fileshack.com/file.x?fid=2396
Post Fri Mar 07, 2003 11:45 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

sweet! Thanks Rawis ='.'=
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sat Mar 08, 2003 3:07 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I am starting my download. I really looked forward to RPG with different world than standart fantasy setting.
Post Mon Mar 10, 2003 10:48 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Youre in for a little bit of a disappointment then, Sir Danicek. Its more an action game with char advancement along the lines of Diablo, not a whole lot of rich RPG like Fallout or anything. If you are familiar with Diablo2 controls, youll slide right into the game no prob, they are almost identical. But its still quite fun, i played the demo all the way thru twice before I uninstalled it. Prolly buy the full version when I see it
Post Tue Mar 11, 2003 5:08 am
crpgnut
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I noticed a LOT of Harbinger news on the site for such a small, almost non-rpg game. I wonder if it's because they bought a lot of advertising space....
I'm sure I'm not at PC Gamer's website, am I? Although that disappoints me, I really like the coverage of player-made mods that RPGDot is putting up. I feel this type of thing is a perfect fit for the website. Of course Rendelius loves Morrowind
Post Tue Mar 18, 2003 3:36 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

quote:
I noticed a LOT of Harbinger news on the site for such a small, almost non-rpg game. I wonder if it's because they bought a lot of advertising space....
I'm sure I'm not at PC Gamer's website, am I? Although that disappoints me, I really like the coverage of player-made mods that RPGDot is putting up. I feel this type of thing is a perfect fit for the website. Of course Rendelius loves Morrowind

Of course it is not because they bought ads here. As you might be able to see on the "about Harbinger" page, we had a lot about the game from 2001 onwards. And we report a lot about it now, since a lot of other sites are putting up reviews and have put up previews. And we report about bad ones as well as about good ones.

It is just that when we find news, we post them. Look at other games that have been released recently - you will find a lot of coverage as well.

The thought that coverage can be bought here is absurd. Actually, i find it a little humiliating towards the staff.
Post Tue Mar 18, 2003 3:53 pm
crpgnut
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I understand that it's a slow time for crpg releases. It's just that there have been several Harbinger ads on the site and across from the ads were several news items about Harbinger. It seemed more than coincedental.
I'm glad that you can't be bought. Too many sites ARE bought and it is
obvious that the reviews on those sites can't be trusted. Pardon my paranoia. I mean no offense, but I feel I should speak my fears and let one of you correct me rather than just be silent and hope that you aren't being bought
Post Tue Mar 18, 2003 8:02 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next