Obliviondownloads.com Opens
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Obliviondownloads.com Opens

As we all know, Bethesda has started offering their downloadable mods for Oblivion. News from <a href="www.shacknews.com" target="_blank">Shacknews</a> is that an official site called <a href="http://obliviondownloads.com/" target="_blank">http://obliviondownloads.com/</a> has opened with a couple of items listed as "coming soon", in addition to the current horse armour. Unfortunately, the site is currently either swamped or borked, so I can't relay anything firsthand.
Post Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:27 am
Sid Fynch
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Two bucks a pop.

"Nature uses as little as possible of anything.”
Johannes Kepler
Post Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:28 am
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

quote:
Originally posted by Sid Fynch
Two bucks a pop.

Did you mean two bucks for poop?

I got in. $1.99 per mod. The "coming soon" stuff looks equally useless. Add it all together - does it provide $6 bucks worth of additional content? Even if you paid $50, does it provide 12% additional value? LOL.

How quickly can we get to the average cost of an expansion with a fraction of the content normally provided by an expansion?
Post Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:38 pm
doctor_kaz
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by ToddMcF2002
quote:
Two bucks a pop.

I got in. $1.99 per mod. The "coming soon" stuff looks equally useless. Add it all together - does it provide $6 bucks worth of additional content? Even if you paid $50, does it provide 12% additional value? LOL.

How quickly can we get to the average cost of an expansion with a fraction of the content normally provided by an expansion?

The real question is, how quickly will the industry move to this ripoff model? Could it happen? I would love to think that there's no chance, but I don't always have a lot of faith in the math capabilities of the average consumer out there.
Post Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:22 pm
Father of Lies
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Wouldn't all the official mods and stuff be included in an expansion ?
Post Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:45 pm
Kalia
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

What is encouraging is that the toolset was released and that the community for PCs is churning out mod after mod to improve the gameplay and all for free. I am concerned, however, for the future: What will compel producers from releasing toolsets with their games if they can get away with charging for additional "modded" content via downloads the way they're sticking it to XB360 owners? It's a bit worrisome.
Post Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:25 am

Thanks to a poster on gfaqs (Yeah, I know) I managed to Download the horse armor mod for free. I won't say where because I don't need the axe falling down on rpgdot, but I will say that a clever google search can reveal three sites that still have it.
Post Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:43 am

xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

As I see it, everything on the internet was at one time way cheaper, or even free. Unfortunately, that's becoming a thing of the past as time marches on and more people either -
#1- are incurring more costs themselves to provide or
#2 - seeing that "hey we can make money on this!", or
#3 - "Hey that's OUR mat'l someone else is making money from!"

The internet honeymoon is over.

As with most things lately, where everyone else seems to be pitching an absolute fit, I'm pretty much ambivalent to the whole thing. There are far greater things to fret about, paying a few bucks here or there for optional game content between official expansions just doesnt seem to raise my hackles. It's a voluntary thing, you dont have to use it, and there is no multiplayer community this will affect in one way or another in a competitive sense. This is just one more thing that has suddenly sprouted a price tag, and people are obviously upset about it. I'm sorry, but I just cant share in your outrage over a few bucks, but then again I have both a credit card, and a few bucks means nothing to me when all I do is pay bills.

All I have to say is this - you had better get used to it, because this is the way of the future, baby.

edit- Recon Mission: I'll go buy this horse armor business right now just to see how much of an inconvenience it is, and if I encounter any probs.

***edit again - Well, goes without saying (but ill say it anyway) youd better have a credit card or youre SOL, and it doesnt look like they are Paypal-enabled. Of course, using a CC means you have to fill out all your personal info, and since it doesnt appear that you create an account of any type, youll have to do the info thing every time. Just as a game activation works, you must also activate the exe you dl over the net or phone, then run it and it installs the ESP.

While the two bucks doesnt bother me, I spend that on coffee every morning, the lack of Paypal and the no-account method of complete info entry per dl is bothersome. I can see how people without CC or debit card capability, primarily the younger members of the community, would be pretty bummed. Now they gotta bug parents for the thing. The activation of a friggen mod seems like a bit of overkill to me, but i guess if youre going to go thru the trouble to charge, youre gonna do what you can to prevent peeps gettin it for free. Besides all that, the dl was fast and install and use was fine, did what it advertised.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:27 am
Lens

quote:
Originally posted by xSamhainx
This is just one more thing that has suddenly sprouted a price tag, and people are obviously upset about it. I'm sorry, but I just cant share in your outrage over a few bucks.

The way it is done right now is fine, you pay 50$ to get a very good game and if you want some optional crap then you can have it for a couple of bucks. It's pretty much the same bioware does it, all fine fine fine.

What isn't fine however is that the executives of Microsoft, who came up with this thing in the first place, and other softwarehouses are looking at this very carefully. If it even partially succeeds then it will become a businessmodel and things will go bad from there on. Games will appear on the market for 50$ in a complete ripped state. All the content that would have been in the game in the old businessmodel is now held back to sell as addons. This actually happened with oblivion since they showed the horsearmour half a year ago already, so they ripped it out of the game and sold it now again. Do you really think this won't be abused to make you pay double the money for the same content?

Now it is fine but when this succeeds the next version will have crappy spells in it standard and better ones will be for sale in the mages university which of course will be available as addon for only 9.99$ Dungeons to dark? buy your extra shiny(tm) torches at the special dungeon delvers store available as an addon for only 3.99$. Of course they will make it to hard to fight anything with the standard spells and the dungeons to dark to see a damn thing without that torch. I guess that will be the time i will pick up playing chess in the park again, outdoor air is better for you anyway.

cheers,
Lens
Post Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:25 am

[quote="Lens"]
quote:
This actually happened with oblivion since they showed the horsearmour half a year ago already, so they ripped it out of the game and sold it now again. Do you really think this won't be abused to make you pay double the money for the same content?

You don´t know that. They might as well have hired someone half a year ago specifically for making pay-to-download mods, planning to pay his wages solely with the money they get from them.
In that case, the horse armor would simply never have been made if there was no pay-per-download system, and the system didn´t affect the retail game at all.

And no, I don´t see how this can be abused any more than expansion packs or even sequels.
Post Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:48 pm

Zakhal
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

quote:
Originally posted by ToddMcF2002
quote:
Two bucks a pop.

You forgot production and distribution that is like 50% of cost of each gamebox.

Bethsoft gets 25$ for each sold game.
Bethsoft gets 6$ for each three mods sold.

6/25 ~ 24% of additional value. That 24% includes two horsekins, one orrary room and one mage tower. They can call it plugin/mod or whatever. I call it the worst expansion pack ever. Totally not worth the money.
Post Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:19 pm
slak
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by Kalia
What is encouraging is that the toolset was released and that the community for PCs is churning out mod after mod to improve the gameplay and all for free. I am concerned, however, for the future: What will compel producers from releasing toolsets with their games if they can get away with charging for additional "modded" content via downloads the way they're sticking it to XB360 owners? It's a bit worrisome.

Except they didn't include the .NIF exporter so you can't edit or make new models for the game. I wonder why?
Post Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:22 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

[quote="Anonymous"]
quote:
This actually happened with oblivion since they showed the horsearmour half a year ago already, so they ripped it out of the game and sold it now again. Do you really think this won't be abused to make you pay double the money for the same content?

First of all that wasnt me who said that.

And for another thing, I think people may be jumping the gun a little too soon here. I can see and understand your discontent, when something you used to get for free now has both a cost, and a special bonus of added inconvenience to boot. However, in your mind Lens, you and others Ive read on message boards here and elsewhere have already got a company releasing crippled software, then selling the fixes. At that point, formerly dispassionate people such as myself who were not really troubled about the whole thing would be pissed off too.

Theyre going to risk people writing them off entirely as a company, and not purchasing their 50 dollar game altogether, just so they can nickle and dime people here and there for a couple bucks? We arent stupid and neither are they. I understand and can appreciate the "slippery slope" argument, but there are far too many "what if's" and "maybe's" at this point to start speculating that perhaps the end truly is nigh.

Look at the Starforce debacle for a glimpse of the gamer community reacting strongly to a percieved injustice. Many wont even touch software that they were totally looking forward to, simply because of the Starforce thing. Again, even formerly unconcerned people such as myself, who have had no problems with Starforce, are now thinking twice about whether we want to support a company who uses such questionable software in their games.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:49 am