Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion - First 360 Official Mod @ 1 Up
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Kalia
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion - First 360 Official Mod @ 1 Up

1 Up is reporting that the first modification for Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion for the XBox 360 has surfaced. The mod makes it possible to put armor on horses. The cost of the mod runs anywhere from $1.99 to $2.50 depending on where it is downloaded. <blockquote><em>f you're interested in outfitting your horse with a spiffy armor pack, it'll set you back 200 Microsoft Points (roughly $2.50). PC owners aren't out of luck, though, as Bethseda confirmed to 1UP the same content will be available on their website later today or tomorrow morning for exactly 51 cents cheaper at $1.99.</em></blockquote>Find the download links and read the rest of the short article <a href="http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3149261" target="_blank">here</a>.
Post Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:30 am

ikbenrichard

right, charging money for a plugin?. dont think so.
Post Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:41 am

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Man, $2.50 for such a simple mod? Isn't this something like 7% of actual game price (or even more, not sure about dolar prices of this game). Is this mod suppose to give you 7% more content?
Post Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:42 am

A developer charging money for a small, somewhat insignificant update that by all accounts should be free?

Is this Bethesda or is it Dreamcatcher?
Post Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:26 am

Raldor
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

So will players be allowed to create a horse armor mod for free now or will that be considered cutting into their profits?
Post Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:15 am
doctor_kaz
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

This is why I'm so sick of hearing about how great digital downloading is going to be. $2.00 for horse armor? That's positively ridiculous. Instead of producing good quality and good value expansion packs, digital downloading means that companies will sell microscopic little bits of content and rely on people who are too stupid to do math to buy them. All of the major gaming news sources like Gamespot are pimping this nonstop like it's some kind of major breakthrough.

This also means that companies are going to start withholding content from games and selling it like this. I'd be willing to bet that Bethesda had horse armor available at retail, but held it back for this. It's their game and their prerogative to do this, but don't expect me to be interested as a consumer.

They should be patching the PC version of the game with a better interface instead of trying to rip people off with this crap.

We're seeing this with Half-Life 2 Episodes now too. $20 for a few hours of gameplay (at the most) is going to be the price. The story won't be complete, so we'll have to wait 12 more months to get another few hours of gameplay for $20. And I'm supposed to get excited about this?

Last edited by doctor_kaz on Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:13 pm
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Yup you are supposed to be excited about it.

But its so lame it hurts. BTW, this is NOT just for the 360 - its a PC offering too at $1.99.

For the record, Bethesda has crippled the mod community for the PC by excluding 3D model imports. So - there is NO WAY the mod community could develop horse armor on their own unless they hacked and retextured an existing model. This is NOT Morrowind folks!
Post Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:34 pm
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

I don't know what all the fussy whining is about. It seems like all gamers do, when they're not playing a game, is whine on internet forums.

If you don't like the prices of the add-on content, then don't buy them.

It costs 12 dollars to buy a single movie ticket where I live and then you have to watch 20 minutes of commercials before the movie starts. So for the last 5 years I've gone to the movies maybe twice.

That's how it's done. You don't need to moan. You don't need to whine. Just vote with your wallet. That's it.
Post Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:46 pm
doctor_kaz
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by TheMadGamer
I don't know what all the fussy whining is about. It seems like all gamers do, when they're not playing a game, is whine on internet forums.

If you don't like the prices of the add-on content, then don't buy them.

It costs 12 dollars to buy a single movie ticket where I live and then you have to watch 20 minutes of commercials before the movie starts. So for the last 5 years I've gone to the movies maybe twice.

That's how it's done. You don't need to moan. You don't need to whine. Just vote with your wallet. That's it.

I'm sorry we're offering our opinions. You're right, we're just raging nerds have no right to do this.

If you don't like our opinions, don't read them. If people like us don't tell Bethesda that we think that their business model sucks, then who will?

P.S. I already don't plan on buying these downloads, but thanks for the advice anyways. Of course, if all future computer products end up like this, then I won't buy those either, and I'll have to find a new hobby, which is entirely my point. I'd rather not have to do that.
Post Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:57 pm