Patch 1.21 = BAD
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
Greymane
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Patch 1.21 = BAD

I highly recommend playing without the 1.21 patch until Bioware comes up with a revert for it, or a new fix for the patch.
I went from zero issues to deadly conflicts between nwmain.exe and kernel32.dll which requires reboots or you'll lock up, which can cause file corruptions.
I only have the original CD, no copies. Nothing has changed on my computer since the original install. I routinely disable all othe software and drivers not essential to my computer 'prior' to downloading and running a patch.
Good luck!
Post Tue Jul 23, 2002 6:08 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Thanks for the warning. There have been a few issues with this patch that were leaked allready... Maybe I'll wait a few more days before I actually update. I have no major issue with the 1.19 version right now either.
Post Tue Jul 23, 2002 6:18 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Considering how many problems I had with 1.19 I figured it couldn't get much worse... and this patch is supposed to be worse? Hmm.

Why am I suddenly dreading the next time I hit the play button?

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Tue Jul 23, 2002 7:13 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Well, I know you said that you had lots of problems with 1.19, but I myself doesn't have a sinle problem with 1.19, other than the map issue in MP with DM. I think all these patch are dependant on hardware... There are too many disparities. In any case, I am trying to postpone patching my game until AFTER our weekly game session which is tonight.
Post Tue Jul 23, 2002 8:00 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

I don't understand, if its something wrong with the latest update, why would they even release it? It sounds like they don't test it, and why don't everyone get those problems?
Post Tue Jul 23, 2002 10:38 pm
Greymane
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Rawis
I don't understand, if its something wrong with the latest update, why would they even release it? It sounds like they don't test it, and why don't everyone get those problems?

Good questions, for which I have no answer, but possibly the patch does work for some clients like 2000 professional or XP or something. I have ME on my computer, because it came with it. Possibly people using similar OS versions and similar hardware as the developers at Bioware, won't see a problem. I have seen conversation about CD copy protection being updated in this patch also, which could be CD brand sensitive?
I don't know, but I love playing the game, hope they come up with something soon
Post Wed Jul 24, 2002 12:11 am
HeWhoHasNoName
Lord of Sorrows
Lord of Sorrows

They did include some module in it though. This would have been good if I had a cable modem.
=Member of The Sports Fan Club=
Post Wed Jul 24, 2002 7:46 am
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

The module that was included (contest of Champions) was allready available for download on its own since the second week of launch I think.

Oh, and by the way we had LOTS of problems with the patch installed in MP last night.... Incredible problems. More crashes to desktop server-side than we had before... Not good
Post Wed Jul 24, 2002 3:03 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Ekim is right - we had big problems.

I had really big lag problems in MP ... and they persisted in SP. So it has to be the patch. I thought I might have had a memory leak during MP so I rebooted and tried again ... still had lags in SP. So I cold booted. Still had lags - bad ones.

I just hope that a new patch is out by the time I get back from vacation!!
Post Wed Jul 24, 2002 3:08 pm
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

I unfortunately didn't get a chance to test it out, but I was having huge problems with 1.20. If 1.21 allows me to actually play MP games without losing the ability to interact with the game then it is a step in the right direction for me. I have had no problem with single player 1.21. Hopefully I will get a chance to check out multiplayer soon.

-vaticide
Post Wed Jul 24, 2002 3:43 pm
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

My XP system runs NWN very smoothly with patch version 1.21. I haven't encountered a single problem with it.
...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Wed Jul 24, 2002 5:37 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Myrthos, was it both in Single and multi player modes you tested it? And was the MP you played with or without DM? So far most problems I have encountered with the game (all patches included) were in MP games with DM. Otherwise everything was fine. I didn't encounter any issues with 1.21 either until I logged on as DM in an MP game... yikes!

I'm going back to 1.19 myself
Post Wed Jul 24, 2002 6:15 pm
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

I'm not DMing and I haven't connected to a server yet that was running 1.21. So it's SP only.
...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Wed Jul 24, 2002 6:49 pm
stealth
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I haven't been playing NWN since 1.19 since my gaming computer is still at a LAN party but perhaps it is not such a bad thing. NWN is the only game I can remember having experienced a game-stopping bug. I could not go the Helm's Hold at the end of chapter 1 with version 1.18 or 1.19. I had to reinstall, go to Helm's Hold and patch afterwards.

It is a little disappointing that Bioware seems to do a lot of wrong every time they try to do something right. I haven’t even tried playing online yet due to all the bug reports. I don’t want to go around crashing servers like Xen has experienced a couple of times.
Post Wed Jul 24, 2002 7:18 pm
KPeh
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I've had no problems with 1.21, unlike 1.19 which crashed constantly. And there are a lot of servers running 1.21, contary to what someone above said.
Post Wed Jul 24, 2002 7:37 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next