Horsey
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Mullinator
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Horsey

If they do make a Gothic 3 and 4, do you think they will add rideable horses? I mean it would be so cool to race, battle and travel on horseback. The different guilds could give you a horse when you reach a high enough rank and you could dress it up in armour. When you arrive in a town it could stay in a stable.

Anyway... Yes or no for whether they will ever include horses, and if yes then what they could do and be used for.
Post Fri Jan 31, 2003 5:11 pm
Esrohnoil
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Cool idea...
You are too kind to me.

- Demons rules the body, but the soul never break within...

- "There's still hope..."
Post Fri Jan 31, 2003 5:17 pm
bigkabuto
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yep, a long while back i mentioned this too, but not everybody agreed...but horses like seen in Zelda on N64 would we amazing, battles on horses, faster traveling...

-Guru,Gang Starr |Skills|
Post Sat Feb 01, 2003 11:36 am
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

I personally like the idea, but how will it affect the exploring of the playable area..? Those who don't like doing side quests will not bother to explore the terrain..
Aw, the world should be considerably larger if the horse would be really neccessary. There's the factor of horse's armor as well; how will it act in combat, or in encounter with another animal..

Horse implementation would be great, but gothic series just doesn't seem as that kind of a game..
Post Sat Feb 01, 2003 1:27 pm
oE|Crusader
Village Leader
Village Leader

well you could join the mercinaries, then you could join the mercinaries on horseback, meaning you had to by a horse (expensive ones go faster) and you had to buy special armor and weapons because your fighting on a horse, then you could learn skills like fighting with 1h swords from a horse, or shooting bows from a horse, it would kick ass
Post Tue Feb 04, 2003 6:31 am
Esrohnoil
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

... the essenciality of the horse here not to make more difficulty the game, but adding some new nice experience to it.

- Demons rules the body, but the soul never break within...

- "There's still hope..."
Post Tue Feb 04, 2003 10:42 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

No, the idea of horses in the Gothic world would change too much of the "Gothic feeling" for me, so my vote is clearly "no".
Post Thu Feb 06, 2003 12:15 am
Iron Man
Dazed and Confused
Dazed and Confused

it would b cool if different guild could learn different horse type skills like archery and the like

This box secretly turns into a picture and laughs at YOU personally when you're not looking.
Post Mon Feb 10, 2003 6:52 pm
Mullinator
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Personally I think horses would be a good idea. The added gameplay elements would certainly be a good thing, and there is also not to many RPG's I have played that let you ride horses.

As for taking away the "Gothic Feeling" Im not so sure. To me the "Gothic Feeling" has always been about two things... Exploring and interacting with the world, and advancing and being part of a guild. Adding a horse would not take away those feelings. In fact it would expand on them, getting a horse from your guild would be way more amazing than getting that really good armour once you reach a certain rank. And it would allow the world to be much larger thereby expanding on the exploration part.

Then again this is just my opinion.
Post Tue Feb 11, 2003 12:15 am
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

quote:
Originally posted by Mullinator
As for taking away the "Gothic Feeling" Im not so sure. To me the "Gothic Feeling" has always been about two things... Exploring and interacting with the world, and advancing and being part of a guild.

Aren't you forgetting all the characters..?
I can't really think of Gothic without thinking of Diego or Gorn,.. or Gomez... Isn;t it true that Gothic wouldn't be the game we all cherish in our hearts (lol) if it weren't for those characters?
As for the other elements, you've got them right..
Post Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:43 am
Dybbuk
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

As for faster traveling, theres allready the speed potions for that, allthough I rather go with the horse in that case.

But like in Zelda for n64 like someone said, I think the horse was fun, but it also took away some challange from some parts of the game since you could pretty much outrun anything that came after you.
Post Tue Feb 11, 2003 1:07 pm
oE|Crusader
Village Leader
Village Leader

but what if the enemy can get on a horse??

ever seen a freaked out digger run? they can really run
Post Tue Feb 11, 2003 1:11 pm
Dybbuk
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Hehe, of course I have seen a freaked out digger run

And sure, humans, goblins and maybe even orcs could have mounts of their own, but what about snappers, wolfs and other animals/monsters?...obviously they could be made faster on their own, but then you would be toast without a horse if you arent able to kill them at your present level.
Post Tue Feb 11, 2003 6:00 pm
Mullinator
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by HWFanatiC
Aren't you forgetting all the characters..?
I can't really think of Gothic without thinking of Diego or Gorn,.. or Gomez... Isn;t it true that Gothic wouldn't be the game we all cherish in our hearts (lol) if it weren't for those characters?

Your absolutly right I did forget about the characters, they really are a VERY important part of the "Gothic Feeling". I guess I forgot since they are not really a part of this topic.

But thanks for reminding my pathetic memory.
Post Tue Feb 11, 2003 9:52 pm
TheCleric
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I'd have to agree that Gothic just wouldn't feel the same with horses. It would create too many balance issues.

Personally, and this is just my opinion, I'd rather see them add the option to play through as a "Free Agent", without joining any of the established guilds. There could be rogue trainers and merchants that would be willing to provide training and weapons/armor for the right price. You could have quests that you would have to complete to be recognized as a "Guild-Friend", before the guild leaders would take you into their confidence and give you the quests to advance the main story. It would add a new dimension to game-play, while still letting those who want to join one of the guilds and play through with that affiliation do so. There might be those who disagree, but I don't think that it would change the overall "feel" of the game if it was done right.

Shields, I think would also be a nice addition. In Midevil days they did recognize the value of a shield to ward off the blows of an attacker. It seems a little out of place that people in the Gothic world only know how to block blows with their weapons. Can't you just imagine hacking away at an opponent, with a good one handed sword and a MineCrawler Plate shield?

Sort of drifted off topic there, sorry.
Post Mon Feb 17, 2003 8:14 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next