Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
(winXP issue)Game works fine, patch does not....????
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Sparhawk
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I pulled it out of the box, loaded it up, created my character, even save a same to load later.

Went to go load the latest patch, and got a BUNCH of error messages.

That stupid patch screwd up my current install SO BADLY I had to un-install, then re-install, just to make the game load to be able to play.

The message in the box, and on the Wizard 8 offical website was "it is imperative you load this patch....BLAH, BLAH, BLAH"

Anyone know what happned? Is it something I did?
Post Sun Mar 31, 2002 12:54 am
Motoki
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Hmm it worked fine for on XP and patched too. What version of the game do you have? I know the version they are shipping now is already patched to the latest so you wouldn't need to patch it. Other than that, the only thing I could suggest is try playing with the setup and changing some of the audio options or even no audio to rule that out as the problem. Try opengl if you had been using direct3d or vice versa. Make sure the resolution and color depth of your regular windows desktop is the same as the game settings (ie if you are running the game at 1024x768 32bit color set your desktop to that first before you launcht he game).

-MO
Post Sun Mar 31, 2002 2:12 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

The latest version will show on the title screen as 1.2.4, so check that before doing any patching. If it turns out you need the patch, you might need to do a little dance. For some reason, the patch will not overwrite the wiz8.exe file directly out of the zip program (it says it's read only). To get around that, unzip the patch in a temp folder, and then move it. Windows will ask for confirmation on the overwrite, say yes to all.

If things are really screwy on the item-id screen, you need the workaround.

Oh, also, make sure when you do the unzip that you have "create folders" selected. A new subdirectory is set up during the unzip.

Hope this helps!
Post Sun Mar 31, 2002 3:23 am

I think this was with WinME, but perhaps WinXP is affected to, WinME came with an internal Microsoft written ZIP file handler, which is buggy (surprise!).

Use WinZip and all is well.

Wolfie
Post Sun Mar 31, 2002 4:44 am

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

If you will play not patched version, pay attention to this bug that can prevent you from finishing game:

- in Arnika is building of Mooks delegation, there is locked door and hologram witch appears when you approach. Do not save while this hologram is on or it never appears again and you will not be able to finish game.

I played not patched versiona and it was without problems, I know only about this important bug.
Post Sun Mar 31, 2002 6:48 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Danicek,

There's a bug that you won't hit until the very end of the game. I don't know the exact details, but you won't be able to enter the second-to-final zone. They fixed that in the very first patch, along with the Mook issue. Wouldn't want you to put all that time in and get stuck at the end...
Post Sun Mar 31, 2002 4:38 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Ok, I did not know about more bugs, but I did not say that there are not more bugs.

I played not patched version without problems. I am happy that I did not meet that bug at the end .
Post Sun Mar 31, 2002 5:25 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

You were able to get to Ascention Peak? I thought that was not possible without the patch...
Post Sun Mar 31, 2002 5:31 pm