For those with frame rate issues...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Startech
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

For those with frame rate issues...

I have not read anything about this, so i thought I would post. I am a new member but have been reading for about two weeks.

I've noticed that my BEST frame rates with my Athlon 1800+ XP Geforce 3 200ti, 728 ram..etc are when I set the res. to 1600x1200

This runs faster rates then even at 640x480. I've NEVER seen anything like this

Indoors anywhere from 35-100fps
Outdoors 15-30 fps

No shadows, view 1/3, and WITH pixel shading. Only bugs I've seen so far is getting stuck and the quick hangs that other XP users have. I have had NO crashes to destop.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 9:29 pm
Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Yah all this has been said a million times..thanks for the info though Im sure some people missed it and this might catch em up..
Post Fri May 10, 2002 1:50 am

Id also like to point that out i raised my 800x600 and the higher i go the faster my FPS goes NO SHITTING around this is a bit wierd ive jumpped from indoors 30 40 to indoors 60 70 and 10 20 outdoors to 25 35 outdoors.
Post Fri May 10, 2002 2:23 am

ZAM
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Wait I am confused

Your saying if i increase my resolution I will get better frame rates? Frankly I am sick of the choppy play thus far. I had to set my resolution to 800x600 because everytime i left the initial building with the dagger I would crash and I read in the documentation that if you put the game in a lower res you would not crash. Now I am having a very choppy game so is it safe to change the res back up? If I change it to the size your telling me isnt it going to be hard to see things in the game?

Someone told me that there was a file to fix all this choppy crap but I cannot seem to located this file to download. Does anyone know where I can find this file?
Post Fri May 10, 2002 3:34 am
Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Re: Wait I am confused

quote:
Originally posted by ZAM
Your saying if i increase my resolution I will get better frame rates? Frankly I am sick of the choppy play thus far. I had to set my resolution to 800x600 because everytime i left the initial building with the dagger I would crash and I read in the documentation that if you put the game in a lower res you would not crash. Now I am having a very choppy game so is it safe to change the res back up? If I change it to the size your telling me isnt it going to be hard to see things in the game?

Someone told me that there was a file to fix all this choppy crap but I cannot seem to located this file to download. Does anyone know where I can find this file?

The high res=faster only seems to work on newer gfx cards not old ones..the file can be found at:

http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/lig/j/_/j_daniel/Morrowind/Morrowind.exe

Backup your old file and put this on in it's place.
Post Fri May 10, 2002 3:43 am
ZAM
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Your link is not working and I appreciate you listing it. I will try the higher res again as i do have a newer card.
Post Fri May 10, 2002 3:46 am
Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

quote:
Originally posted by ZAM
Your link is not working and I appreciate you listing it. I will try the higher res again as i do have a newer card.

Ah someone removed the file, let me find the other link and I will post it..

Here you go:
http://www.templeofmondain.com/Morrowind.exe

Keep in mind this is not a No-CD patch you still need the CD to run it..It just removes the Safedisc from the original EXE file.
Post Fri May 10, 2002 3:47 am
dschrier
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

The reason why running at higher resolutions might be better is because the game is very CPU intensive, and by switching to a higher res you are adding more strain to the video card and taking some off of the CPU. For example, most of the strain is on the CPU at 640*480 but at 1600*1200 it's mostly all video card.
Post Fri May 10, 2002 4:36 am
ZAM
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Can the mods lock this thread?

I would like to see this locked at the top if it is possible. New people would love to see this information as I am sure most are having this problem.
Post Fri May 10, 2002 1:03 pm
p0rnflake
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by dschrier
The reason why running at higher resolutions might be better is because the game is very CPU intensive, and by switching to a higher res you are adding more strain to the video card and taking some off of the CPU. For example, most of the strain is on the CPU at 640*480 but at 1600*1200 it's mostly all video card.

LOL - no way !

When increasing the resolution the workload on the GPU rises acordingly - true. But it certainly doesnt lower the CPU load - rather the opposite
Post Fri May 10, 2002 5:45 pm