Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
What kind of CRPG do you wish to play in next year?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
shai_aus
Village Leader
Village Leader

Hmmm, RPG settings.

Well, it's been a while since I played anything cyberpunky, so that's one wish for me. I have fond memories of Shadowrun, so maybe I'll fire that up again. Or Snatcher, even though it isn't really an RPG.

I dunno. What I'd really like to play is an imaginative game, something where I can just stare and marvel and wonder what drugs the programmers were on when they designed it. Don't get me wrong, I love my swords and sorcery fantasy RPGs, but they get a little samey after a while.

I guess what I'm asking for is a sequel to Planescape: Torment, or at least something like it.
Post Sat Dec 28, 2002 12:06 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

@Danicek- you asked what games we missed, so I thought you were asking about older titles that we intended to "finally get around to playing " this year. Sorry for the confusion.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sat Dec 28, 2002 4:09 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I wouldn't mind something different from a fantasy setting. A post-apocalyptic, futuristic or steampunk type setting would be a nice change of pace.
Post Sun Dec 29, 2002 5:14 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by dteowner
@Danicek- you asked what games we missed, so I thought you were asking about older titles that we intended to "finally get around to playing " this year. Sorry for the confusion.

There is no need to say sorry. I suppose that it is sometimes difficult to understand "what I want" :].
Post Sun Dec 29, 2002 12:48 pm
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

Danicek:

The game you are looking for is coming out next year. It is called 'Freelancer'. A Pirate/Space/Trading Simulation. I am waiting for some years for this one.

http://www.microsoft.com/games/PC/freelancer.asp
Post Sun Dec 29, 2002 4:43 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

HiddenX, that does look interesting. They show it as an action title, but I'm not certain I'd call it that from what I read. I didn't notice whether it's a single player game or MMORPG?
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sun Dec 29, 2002 5:51 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

Freelancer does look good (it's not a MMORPG). Like many people I think Elite was close to the best game ever and I've been waiting for a worthy successor that would take Elite and develop it with modern technology. I'm hoping Freelancer will be that title.
Post Sun Dec 29, 2002 11:49 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Bah! Freelancer has been resurrected? Again? That thing just won't die. I've been reading hyped up stuff about it like 3-4 years ago. Never went anywhere. Ah well. Hopefully MS gets it going.

But to get back on topic...

I'm sick and tired of classic RPGs. I know, I know: sacrilidge. But seriously. I found W3 disapointing (didn't finish it). Arx, I may finish, eventually, but I just feel too pointless in it. NWN I could never get into multiplayer and single player was mediocre at best (story and immersion wise). MW was cute, but I finished it only because I'd feel I wasted 30 hours of my life otherwise. It certainly fell flat.

So, what I'd like to see in my future RPGs is ... I dunno. That's the point! I want them to surprise me. Captivate me. Dazzle me. Make me yelp in wonder and excitement! Make me look at the clock and realize it's 5AM and I gotta get out of bed at 8. Make my friends mad at me for not shutting up about it. It's easy to say I don't want it to be set in fantasy setting, but I really don't care that much. I think that Tolkienesque world has been used to the point of being abused, but that doesn't mean you can't have a wonderful and surprising game set in it.

I'm looking forward to Lionheart (this one could be a big disappointment as my hopes are riding high), Deus Ex 2 and Gothic 2. All of them because their predecessors did manage to captivate me. I hope the sequels can possibly live up to my expectations. I hope I haven't become too jaded yet.
Post Mon Dec 30, 2002 4:19 pm
Dhruin

quote:
Originally posted by MoonDragon
So, what I'd like to see in my future RPGs is ... I dunno. That's the point! I want them to surprise me. Captivate me. Dazzle me..

Excellent point!

The games that surprise you are often the best. A good list you have there as well. I'm really looking forward to Lionheart; It's a bit of a gamble with so many variables like the RT combat - but if they can get the world right...if there really is a sense of warped history with some real details it could be great.

Deus Ex 2 & G2 go without saying!
Post Mon Dec 30, 2002 10:50 pm
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

All I want is a c h a l l e n g i n g rpg-game, new titles are often much too easy for rpg-veterans. Wizardry 8, Arx Fatalis and Gothic 2 were a step in the right direction.

A good surprise is Runaway an old style graphic adventure game.

http://www.gmxmedia.net/runaway/
It is a hit in Spain and Germany already.

I dream of Fallout 3, Jagged Alliance 3, Wizardry 9 and I wait for Gothic 3.
Post Tue Dec 31, 2002 8:33 am
Elco
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I want to play an RPG where I can have an evil character or party. And not just a pathetic few options for evil , I mean either a whole main plot, or whole entire alternate plot where I play the guy trying to destroy the world or whatever. I have yet to see this done.

It would be about twce as much work to wirite a game that realy let you be either good or evil. THere are ways I can think if that would save you from habving to write 2 different games. But After savbing countless worlds from the clutches of evil its time my gaming took a turn for the dark side.
Post Thu Jan 02, 2003 4:19 pm
Hexmaster
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I mentioned the kind of RPG that I would want in a previous thread and it was a kind of "Baldurs Gate In Space" game.

Get a ship (fully upgradeable) and select your crew (party of 6) and instead of Celrics, Rogues etc; you would have a Gunner, Navigator, Pilot, Scientist, Medic, Grunt etc; all with typical stats that would increase on level up.

Now that would be my game. Freelancer sounds good............but will it disappoint the RPG gamer ??

Regards,

Hex
Post Mon Jan 06, 2003 1:16 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Hexmaster - it could be reallly nice game, but I prefer not BG view, but first person view ala Morrowind.
Post Mon Jan 06, 2003 5:46 pm
GhanBuriGhan
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

from farmers boy to king

The game I would like to play would be one that slowly transcends the boundaries between single player roleplaying game to strategy game. A game in first person that starts as a normal adventure but lets you progress to become the leader of a small party, a squadron, an army and ultimately lets you decide the affairs of your newly won kingdom. That would be sweet. Real armies moving and clashing, sieges, but also adventure and character interaction. All of that in first person...
You may say not possible to have so many characters - but I would sacrifice a lot of polys to see such a game... something close to Gothic 1 graphics would be more than satisfactory, or a smart scene-sensitive LOD system.
Post Mon Jan 06, 2003 6:47 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Danicek
Hexmaster - it could be reallly nice game, but I prefer not BG view, but first person view ala Morrowind.

I don't know why, but I enjoyed playing Morrowind with the "behind-the-back" view. It's seemingly more of an "impractical" camera-angle... but I liked it!
Post Mon Jan 06, 2003 7:45 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2