Horses... what's the problem?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Thorvar
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Horses... what's the problem?

Not sure if this is the right board for it, but this is a "general" CRPG topic. Horses and other mounts are a staple of the fantasy genre in books and traditional tapletop RPGs. Very few CRPGs have included mounts of any kind which were controllable by the player (I realize that there have been a couple of exceptions... but these are rare indeed). My question is.. Why? I see the topic come up on forums for many games. Mounts seem to be a feature many people want. In my opinion, a knight without his trusty steed is well... only half the package (that's just one example). My question to game devs and anyone else who might have an opinion is this... Why no mounts in the vast majority of CRPGs? With gaming technology progressing in leaps and bounds, why does this feature present such a large barrier?

(mods are fast... thanks!)

Last edited by Thorvar on Tue Jun 18, 2002 6:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 6:46 pm
Warmaster-Horus
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Game balance maybe?

=Leader of the Horus Heresy=
=Champion of Khorne=
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD SKULLS FOR THE THRONE
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 6:58 pm
Thorvar
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Elaborate please. I don't see how, if properly implemented, mounts would pose a "game balance" issue. Not sure what you mean.
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 7:03 pm
ButtOfMalmsey
Village Idiot
Village Idiot

Many RPGs are dungeon crawls. Horses are, generally speaking, going to be too big to deal with in dungeons. However, I don't see why they should not be generally available, and I like what the Dungeon Siege crew did with the mule. Battle Realms, although an RTS, had a neat feature where you could mount nearly every kind of unit on a horse. It was prolly my favorite feature of that pretty good game.

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to SPEED around a city, keeping its SPEED over fifty, and if its SPEED dropped, it would explode. I think it was called, "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."
-Homer Simpson

=Member of the Non-Flamers Guild=
=Member of The Sixth House=
::Captain of the Black Company::
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 7:13 pm
Thorvar
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I agree, no horses in dungeons of course (common sense there, but mules as in DS make sense), but most games nowadays also have huge outdoor areas to explore. In many cases the outdoor/wilderness areas are larger than the dungeons/caves/indoor areas.
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 7:30 pm
ButtOfMalmsey
Village Idiot
Village Idiot

This was the coolest thing about Ocarina of Time for the N64- you could ride a horse to get around.

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to SPEED around a city, keeping its SPEED over fifty, and if its SPEED dropped, it would explode. I think it was called, "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."
-Homer Simpson

Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 8:04 pm
Thorvar
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yes, and also in many of the Ultima games.
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 8:52 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Why a horse? You could ride a saurus in QG2!

I think the biggest problem today though is money and time. Can game devs really spare the time, money and resources to create all the pretty graphics, animation and AI for a believable mount? If they have a large company with expendable capital backing them, then yes. If not, well it probably won't be included because it isn't considered a requirement for a great game.
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 9:24 pm
TheLonePaladin
Mighty Warrior
Mighty Warrior

quote:
Originally posted by Val
I think the biggest problem today though is money and time. Can game devs really spare the time, money and resources to create all the pretty graphics, animation and AI for a believable mount? If they have a large company with expendable capital backing them, then yes. If not, well it probably won't be included because it isn't considered a requirement for a great game.

exactly what i was going to say
"Though the gates that stand between the mortal world and the immortal Realm of Chaos are now closed to me, still I would rather die having glimpsed eternity than never to have stirred the cold furrow of mortal life.
I embrace death without regret as I embraced life without fear."
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 11:38 pm
SuperCowMan24
Blademaster of the Moo
Blademaster of the Moo

if you have morrowind you could make a plugin for a horse, or a guar! YA! ride a guar!

Don't you feel better now?
Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 12:39 am
ButtOfMalmsey
Village Idiot
Village Idiot

GWAR!

-Homer Simpson

Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 12:49 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Daggerfall had horses and carts, and they weren't usable in a dungeon... but nowadays when pretty graphics are paramount including horses would just be too expensive in terms of development I guess. But I may be wrong.

GWAR are great by the way!
Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 1:55 am
Yog Sothoth
The All in One
The All in One

I think the developers gone frightened by the 3D... if you think, in the past games there were already horses: Darklands had them but they were "invisible"... if you was walking in the wilderness without them you walked slower, if you had them you walked faster... and also in the games like Ishar (game serie like Eye of the Beholder) there was a great external part to explore but the visual was first person so there wasn't the necessity of thinking of horses... DaggerFall is the last game in which you can ride a horse... then nothing... gone too complicated?
=Ex-Baron of the RPGDot Shadows=
Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 7:16 am
Thorvar
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hmmm, well EQ has them now (though not a perfect implementation by any means), DAoC has them (horse railroad hehe), and many of the next gen MMORPGS will have them (mounts of some kind, not necessarily horses). I would like to see them in games like NWN, etc... here's hoping anyway!
Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 2:46 pm
Yog Sothoth
The All in One
The All in One

quote:
Originally posted by Thorvar
Hmmm, well EQ has them now (though not a perfect implementation by any means), DAoC has them (horse railroad hehe), and many of the next gen MMORPGS will have them (mounts of some kind, not necessarily horses). I would like to see them in games like NWN, etc... here's hoping anyway!

oh! (never played that games...) but are they only objects used by the player or are they also part of the game? (so that you can look at them walking and they have a AI) Maybe Val is right telling that the possible problem is a believable AI...
=Ex-Baron of the RPGDot Shadows=
Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 4:05 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next