Something missing?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Aram
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Something missing?

I've had this nagging feeling that G2 was different than G1. There was just something different about it that I cant really place, but it’s still pulling at me from out of reach.. G2 is still one of my favorites, but I still think the first was more enjoyable to me for some reason.

First off, I think G1 had a much more open beginning. When you start you have no real set goal and feel more open to just exploring. G2 starts you immediately on the main quest and seemed to loose some of the openness I loved in the original so much.

One more thing I think was different was the terrain. G1 was more open with fields and wide paths that felt very free and non-constricting. G2 had narrow paths, and seemed like everything was closing in on you, all on a subconscious level. Maybe I'm slightly claustrophobic, but it changed my level of enjoyment with the game. I think one of the reasons so many people preferred the Mercs was because of the open land and feeling of freedom you had, similar to G1.

Anyone else sense any of this? I just want them to be able to cover ever little area to make the best Gothic 3 (if they do) as possible.
Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:31 am
Everclearules20
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I never played G1, but I still had those feelings. I too hope G3 will be a little more open.
Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:15 am
EDV
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Everclearules20
I never played G1,

You should play it sometime, the colony is different in GothicI, also the story is nice and you will be able to take part in discussions about GothicI.
Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:17 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

ow yeah Gothic 1 was an absolute blockbuster for me best game ever
Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:18 pm
Ruslan Ismailov
Village Leader
Village Leader

It is TREES. In G1 all trees have no lover branches, so it does not hinder you view and made sence of "open" world. In contrary trees in G2 are more realistic, but now in forests you does not see fery far -- even ground are hard to search.
Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:23 pm
megadav
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Well. I think the reason is claustrophobia, but an other way. In G1 you were trapped in a colony fighting for survival, and you had to trust in others. In G2 you're a "simple" hero, something special, not a common convict.
Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:28 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

and the other thing that u were free and could do all paths by urself in G1 well its like The Matrix[G1] after there will be a sequel u allways are ordered to do something G2 Matrix Reloaded
Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:34 pm
Vival
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Well, I missed the unique atmosphere from the first Gothic. Gothic 2 still is unique in many ways but it is too much focused on the cliched fight of Good versus Evil. Especially toward the end it felt like I was playing Baldur's Gate instead of Gothic. I hope the 3rd part is more back to roots.
Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:18 pm
megadav
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

What's the problem of Baldur's Gate? I think that's a goooooooooood game!
Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:30 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

I think it was the atmosphere. Try as they might, Gothic's atmosphere can never be reachieved. The fact that everyone is a prisoner, and most are convicted, and that whoever you meet might try to pull a fast one on you, or just knock you down and steal your ore (money). If you haven't played it, you most definitely should.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:47 pm
goshuto
Wanderer
Wanderer

quote:
Originally posted by MageofFire
I think it was the atmosphere. Try as they might, Gothic's atmosphere can never be reachieved. The fact that everyone is a prisoner, and most are convicted, and that whoever you meet might try to pull a fast one on you, or just knock you down and steal your ore (money).

My feelings exactly.
Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:39 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

well unless the mighty Sleeper returns and creates the big barrier again and isolates many ppl again in somewhere and they will be almost the same like the convicts cos they cant go anywhere
Post Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:36 pm
Angelo
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I think Gothic1 was so interesting because the circumstances were so extreme. trapped in the barrier, 3 camps that fonćt like eachother, it was just so cool. In G2 itćs just so ordinary. An island full of monsters, its just nothing special.
Post Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:25 pm
titus
Survivor of Hell
Survivor of Hell

I agree that is what G2 was missing, but it was still great to play. But they can remodel that in G3. you land on shore nobody you know can't find any people you know, you have no clue about Xardas his doings or where he might be and no one knows you. Back to the weak stranger of gothic 1 in a world you don't know and a lot of new baddies from the start, total different creatures then in the first 2 except the orcs then :d or a different race of orcs . But the sleeper could come back, I wish he will come bakc in G3 or G4 but not the barrier again or it will be the same old in a new jacket
Post Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:03 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by MageofFire
I think it was the atmosphere. Try as they might, Gothic's atmosphere can never be reachieved. The fact that everyone is a prisoner, and most are convicted, and that whoever you meet might try to pull a fast one on you, or just knock you down and steal your ore (money). If you haven't played it, you most definitely should.

Too bad that not any shop has it available anymore. You can only wait till someone sells it, but that could take a while
Post Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:36 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next