View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

A funny thing about armor class

Here is a fun one.

I am nearing the end of Chpt 3 and have a L16 Ranger with an adjusted Dex of 28 … that means my Dex bonus is +9. So I am wearing a set of +3 robes with a base AC of 0 (and some electrical resistance) since they allow me to use my full dex bonus and fight two handed. At first this sounds great, a base AC with only armor of 22 = 10 +0 + 3 + 9, sounds much better than the +3 studded armor where I only got 10 + 3 + 3 + 4 = 20. But what if some one gets behind you, all of a sudden that AC plummets! Or what if you get stunned? Or worst of all, knocked down???

So I have to take care to keep the bad guys in front of me … not always possible. Now I * finally * see the advantages to +3 plate mail. Or the advantage of a high level thief or barbarian where you always get the dex bonus – even when surrounded or flat footed.

However, with weapons finesse, improved critical in rapier and short sword, power attack and boots of speed I am getting an ungodly number of attacks doing a ton of damage duel wielding a rapier and short sword … so I guess going for the very high dex wasn’t such a bad thing (I am not even wearing Linu’s pendant of the elves (another +4 to dex)).
Post Fri Aug 16, 2002 5:59 pm