Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Elder Scrolls 3 - Morrowind (PC, Single-Player RPG)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Games Comments

Author Thread
Simon

Ooops... I sure as hell didnīt do that on purpose. Hmmm... I wonder what happened, sorry guys.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2002 9:22 pm

Brytac

While I accept your wories concerning the low quality of plugins for the NPC's etc. <br> <br>But trust me my friend.....NPC dialogue written by a badger would be mor ewelcoem than the existing game NPCS after you have played the game for a few days. <br> <br> <br>No cut scenes...no long exciting quests. But if you yearn to talk to people who are ALL the same then Morrowind is for you. <br> <br>Revel in the journal they load you down with where you must look trhough 40 pages of it to find the name of a fisherman u need to ask about a missing cat. (yes u need to look through it endlessly thanks to poor design). <br> <br>The game sadly diosnt add enough on top of the DAggerfall II game(1996). Which in truth is a sad state of affairs. The GHX are nicer...so is the sound. The alchemy is nice too. But lets face it. NOTHING new is added from a 6 year old game. They did manage to make the world a lot smaller though, but somehow running round the HUGE DAGGERFALL never seemed as boring as Morrowind.....maybe thats cbecause in MW - EVERYTHING looks and sounds the same. <br> <br>It is a world generic both in terms of NPC's and the environment/dungeons. <br> <br>Simply not good enough. <br> <br>People who can defend this poor development surely havnt pleyed other games that are rich with design and communities.
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 9:47 am

Rendelius

The only thing I can see from your posting is that you have never ever played Daggerfall . <br> <br>Daggerfall was repetetive as hell - each and every village looked alike (regional variations), tombs looked alike (no regional variations), dungeons were built of six tilesets. Landscape variations? Nah. <br> <br>Yet the game was fun all over the place - because it was freeform and nonlinear. As is Morrowind. <br> <br>People who played both Daggerfall and Morrowind easily recognize your posting as what it is.
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 10:30 am

Rendelius

Simon - the quality of the plugin varies. Some are inferior, some are excellent. There are app. 200 plugins out now, and you can choose from a variety of game alterations/enhancements. <br> <br>Here are my favorite ones: <br>The "less generic NPC" mod adds excellent dialogue to Seyda Neen. About every character there got its own background story with this plugin, and there are a lot of new topics you can choose from. <br> <br>The official "Bitter Coast Sound" plugin adds swamp sounds to the Bitter coast, as well as Dragon flies. Very atmospheric. <br> <br>"Mega Morrowind" tunes gameplay for characters above level 30. It#s a massive plugin collection that alters game balance and gameplay a lot. I don't use it myself, but have heard nothing but praise. <br> <br>There are several nice house mods that offer you new homes to live in. <br> <br>One mod makes wooden items craftable. You can no chop wood from the trees. <br> <br>The "Pack Guar" mod allows you to buy a pack guar which will be like the mule in Dungeon Siege. <br> <br>In the near future, there will be mods with new factions and new quests. Since this takes more time than the ones mentioned above, they haven't really popped up yet.
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 10:37 am

Timothius

Err... Brytac - this is complete nonsense what you write. <br> <br>Ether you haven't played Daggerfall for once, or youīre suffering from a serious amnesia. Hell, does it get any more repetative as Daggerfall? Everthing was build of the same tilesets, in a few verations (mostly different colors) generated randomly without any structure or identity to it. And now compare with Morrowind! There are dozens of different architectonic styles, each town, each place has is very individual identity. Honestly there isn't any game that contains just nearly as much visually diversity as Morrowind does. And still - still it looks a little repetative in some parts - but what a progression compared to Daggerfall! <br> <br>No, you haven't played the game ever, haven't you? That's ridiculous!
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 10:53 am

Jung

"After that, i will go for a character that is totally non combat and has high social skills." <br> <br>Are you going to sweet-talk all those cliffracers? <br> <br>
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 2:38 pm

Jung

Oops, I knew I shouldn't have hit refresh.
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 2:43 pm

Brytac

Haha. <br> <br>Sure daggerfall was repetative....it was also HUGE. Sure Daggerfall is prob just as repetative as MW is. <br> <br>GOOD GOD. <br>6 years have passed since Daggerfall was born. I dont know about you peopel defending the game, but I certainly would have expected a lot more than 'Daggerfall was made from 6 tilesets.......MW is not so its much better'. <br> <br>Hmmm even the guild quests are a copy ie- go kill rats in sonme blokes bedroom. <br> <br>Hehe 6 years on and you peopel are happy with some prettier graphics. <br> <br> <br> <br>Nice
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 2:56 pm

Brytac

Comment on Morrowind for thosewho have played Daggerfall in the past and are thinking of purchasing Morrowind. <br> <br>This game advances nothign exept graphics from where Daggerfall left off 6 years ago. <br>6 years for better graphics and smaller dungeons, which in turn contain less surprise and depth to the old dungeons. <br> <br>
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 6:06 pm

Simon

Ok just one quick question... <br>Is playing a social character any fun? <br>I mean sort of a real sweet talking character with lots of personality and that skill err... what was it called... persuation? I mean is it any fun being a noncombat character? I donīt mean a striclty noncombat character but perhaps a character with less emphasis on the combat skills.
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 10:53 pm

TruchiSoft

When the idea of "cool game" was the one of a fat plumber rescuing <br>a princess, CRPGs had everything they had today, except of course <br>the obvious technical differences... <br>But when the idea of "cool game" is that of an evolving character, <br>with increasing powers gaining experience, joining forces with <br>partners (computer controlled or not), we have to start thinking <br>a little... <br> <br>Games nowaday are VERY similar to a classic CRPG, of course, you still <br>have some differences, but these are disapearing with time, and this <br>is normal, because the "ultimate" objective of Computer games (i want <br>to avoid entertainment, because that word is too open) is to replace <br>a role in a fantasy environment (ie:world) and roleplay it <br> <br>So you can say CRPGS are the ultimate computer game? <br>YES, but NOT the CRPGs we have seen so far, how come they are the only <br>genre that has not evolved? Take platforms for example, from mario <br>bros to Blade of Darkness (give or take, platform has evolved to <br>3D Arcade), but CRPGs have not, i see almost no difference from my <br>old Ultima V to Morrowind, excepting graphics, and that in Ultima V i <br>had a party... <br> <br>And im not saying Bethesda is to blame, they are not the ONLY CRPG <br>producers. <br>Thats probably why Morrowind is so flamed, its a perfect "classic" <br>CRPG, but, alas, this genre is yelling to evolve, the users "feel" <br>the urge to go to the next step, because, friends, the rest of the <br>game genres are stepping our ankles, and if we dont climb up, if we <br>dont... <br> <br>Remember what happened to Graphical Adventures? (Larry, etc?) <br> <br>Just my 2 cents
Post Sun Jun 16, 2002 5:00 am

TruchiSoft

When the idea of "cool game" was the one of a fat plumber rescuing <br>a princess, CRPGs had everything they had today, except of course <br>the obvious technical differences... <br>But when the idea of "cool game" is that of an evolving character, <br>with increasing powers gaining experience, joining forces with <br>partners (computer controlled or not), we have to start thinking <br>a little... <br> <br>Games nowaday are VERY similar to a classic CRPG, of course, you still <br>have some differences, but these are disapearing with time, and this <br>is normal, because the "ultimate" objective of Computer games (i want <br>to avoid entertainment, because that word is too open) is to replace <br>a role in a fantasy environment (ie:world) and roleplay it <br> <br>So you can say CRPGS are the ultimate computer game? <br>YES, but NOT the CRPGs we have seen so far, how come they are the only <br>genre that has not evolved? Take platforms for example, from mario <br>bros to Blade of Darkness (give or take, platform has evolved to <br>3D Arcade), but CRPGs have not, i see almost no difference from my <br>old Ultima V to Morrowind, excepting graphics, and that in Ultima V i <br>had a party... <br> <br>And im not saying Bethesda is to blame, they are not the ONLY CRPG <br>producers. <br>Thats probably why Morrowind is so flamed, its a perfect "classic" <br>CRPG, but, alas, this genre is yelling to evolve, the users "feel" <br>the urge to go to the next step, because, friends, the rest of the <br>game genres are stepping our ankles, and if we dont climb up, if we <br>dont... <br> <br>Remember what happened to Graphical Adventures? (Larry, etc?) <br> <br>Just my 2 cents
Post Sun Jun 16, 2002 5:21 am

Mephisto

Comment on Morrowind for thosewho have played Daggerfall in the past and are thinking of purchasing Morrowind. <br> <br>this game advances a lot, not just the graphics. The game is handcrafted, so every single square inch is interesting. The quests are handwritten, and much more fluent then the random DF ones. Travelling to other towns by foot is finally something FUN. No more endless hills with a tree every now and then. <br> <br>But enough of this. Every Df veteran clearly sees that Brytac is talking out of parts he shouldnt talk out. Why he tries to confuses newbies is beyond me, but I cant care that much. Millions of gamers found their perfect game, but you cant satisfy them all.
Post Sun Jun 16, 2002 8:59 pm

D00D

Alright, I just bought it on XBOX and there is going to be some obvious differences to the PC version, but basically i have no idea what you all are complaining about...the character creation is about as good as you can get on an RPG (See Asheron's Call) the depth is insanely...deep. Hell what game can you pick up a fork off a table. Or take a piece (blank) of paper off a desk. Come on, explore the game before you critique it. Y'all bore me. Why critique a game you don't like anyway? <br> <br>
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 3:02 pm

PsyJam

Well, I don't know about you guys, but the game developers aren't getting enough credit here. Plus, people who are saying that the NPC's lack individuality have obviously never written any long papers or scripts. <br> <br>First, I like this game alot. I didn't limit myself to a 'theif', 'fighter', or 'mage' class, but instead, followed the path of the pilgrim - and it has been very rewarding, indeed. To add, it's nice to take a path less traveled. A great RPG game, and that's all there is to it. <br> <br>Granted, there are bugs, but that's practically the industry standard for newly released games no matter what genre. <br> <br>RE: NPC's who don't say different things: It would have taken the game another 4 months (at least) to be released if you wanted every character to say something 'different'. But what's the point? It would boggle down the journal (which IS useful, if you bother to use it wisely) and confuse the majority of players with endless rhetoric. My advice: if you want NPC's to say and discuss topics differently, then YOU write the mod to help the develpers who have obviously been working hard to create this excellent story/game/world.
Post Fri Jun 28, 2002 4:28 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next