Usergroups
Wizardry 8 review
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

RPGdot.com have put up a review on Wizardry 8, and I wanted to comment the review, but somehow it don't accept my mail, so I'm forced to make my comments here:

The gameplay factor should at least cover 50% of importans, graphics max 20% and sound max 10%, for a CRPG.

Running the game in 1600x1200x32bit makes it one of the nicest games ever seen especially the NPC's and monsters. No boxshaped hands or faces like the most modern shooter games still suffers from. The outdoor enviroment is correctly lacking from polygons due to huge areas, but the indoor enviroments and monsters are top-notch graphics with a lot of light and transparant effects.

The game is dark at nights, and very bright at days, the way it should be!

With the possibilities to use teleporters combined with the magic means of transportations, you can get your party to any place of the gameworld within seconds if you plan your portals correctly.

There is a unofficial W8 patch who speeds up the combat significantly.

In outdoor areas you can avoid almost every battle if you keep an eye on your "radar". You can "outrun" anything if it come to close! But also certain potions and spells make you close to invisible for monster groups!

The map loading time is made shorter after the latest official patch (8-10 sec.) at the most.

These comments may make more sence, if you have read the review first!
Post Wed Feb 20, 2002 2:38 pm

What is the unofficial patch to improve combat speed?
Post Wed Feb 20, 2002 3:16 pm

Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Michael, I agree that we have to think about the weights of what comes into consideration with our reviews. We are currently doing that.

All in all, we deeply recommend the game to gamers - it has been our pick for RPG of the year and was awarded gold within the review. Not everything in Wizardry 8 is as it should be, and it would be a flawed review if the reviewer doesn't mention that.

Post Wed Feb 20, 2002 3:38 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I read several opinions that talked about "too long battles", so I set all "fast battle speed" options in menu on max. and waited for these "too long battles". I did not met them. At first it was important to have many battles (you needed to make more exp. points), then when it started to be frustrating to encounter all the time same groups of monsters I was able to start to use system of teleports, spells (set portal, return to portal) and quick moving with "eyes on radar" also helped alot.
So I did not met frustrating battles.

Graphics was main reason I choosed to play Gothic first. It took me some time to adapt to graphics so different from FPSs. But after that it was really OK. So I must say - there was nothing that was ugly and several places (indoor) were very nice. Though I think that Stilleto has true when writes "While the game engine is not state-of-the-art, it is very well good enough for a great RPG experience".

Map loading time was sometime very painful for me. Some areas loaded in moment, other did not (and I used alt+ctrl+del to exit Wiz8 and started it again).

To Rendelius: I think that this review is good and realistic, we just say our opinions that may be slightly different from Stilletos.

[ This Message was edited by: Danicek on 2002-02-20 09:47 ]
Post Wed Feb 20, 2002 3:44 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

By all means, I like to here about both the good and bad things about a game. But when I see some arguments about flaws in a game that really isn't there, just because the reviewer couldn't manage to find a solution on the problem, then it triggers me to comment such an argument. I don't blame the reviewer for not finding all the workarounds for his claims, because they are certainly not all easy to find.
I know some arguments is about taste, and they are almost impossible to discuss, but then again, more opinions makes a better material for the readers!
Post Wed Feb 20, 2002 4:06 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Sure. So is mine . In fact I LIKE slow battles, because I hate RTS *g*

Post Wed Feb 20, 2002 4:07 pm
Maggot
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Erm, Michael C, is that animated gif you have from Diablo?
Post Thu Feb 21, 2002 10:51 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

No, but I can see why you ask! Maybe a paladin!
Post Thu Feb 21, 2002 11:39 am
Maggot
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Well, it looks a bit like either a paladin or Diablo I fighter hitting something. To get this thread on topic: I think Wizardry 8 is by far the best RPG I've seen in ages. Any review giving it less than 97% is not giving it what it deserves in my opinion.
Post Thu Feb 21, 2002 2:59 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Yep, W8 is a gem also in my humble opinion!
But it has it's minor flaws, to be honest, but nothing that could spoil my interest for the game!
Post Fri Feb 22, 2002 9:30 am
Garrett

We have actually changed the review system now, which gives 50%to Gameplay now!
And with this system Wizardry 8 would have even received a Platin Award at 91%!

Reg the battles: Did you never encounter enemies you couldn't see yet?
Post Sun Feb 24, 2002 11:53 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Garrett: Yes, the "new" weighting system would serve W8 a more rightfull verdict IMHO.

Yep, there are a few camouflaged creatures who can sneak unseen up to a unprepared party.
But two things can prevent/reveal these creatures: A high "Scouting skill" from one of your party members can help, but also by magic means can you find help. "Shadow hound" and "X-ray" can reveal every enemy in radar range even those hidden behind obstacles!
W8 is really strategic advanced, with a lot of "find it yourself" solutions for many more or less annoying problems.
Post Mon Feb 25, 2002 9:35 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Ups, I overlooked a little poster with a request on the combat-speed up patch to W8.
Actually I don't remember where I did find this unofficial patch, but it's name is called "Wiz8fast.exe" and is only 24k big, and works fine. It tweaks the configuration files to reduce the delay between monster movements in battles!
Post Mon Feb 25, 2002 11:57 am
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

BTW - Michael, I don't thnik solutions that are unofficial and not supported by the company shouldn't make it as "solution" into a review. Whle this patch is there, it can't be considered when doing the rating, IMHO.

Post Mon Feb 25, 2002 12:08 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Rendelius: No, You are absolute right on this point! .
The speed patch is unofficial and I only mentioned it as an information for the impatient gamer. Personally have I no problems with the combat speed as it is delivered from Sir-Tech.
Post Mon Feb 25, 2002 1:25 pm