Crashing while Saving Game
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
OctU
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Crashing while Saving Game

For all the games I've played, it's been incredibly rare for a crash to occur while it's being saved (I save games often and frequently during game sessions). However, with NWN, it's becoming incredibly commonplace.

I sometimes save over an existing file, and sometimes I save to a new file. The problem has always existed for me, but it used to occur only occasionally. Now, however, during every 4th save or so, the game will freeze and/or crash to the desktop. And of course the file that I tried to save somehow gets corrupted and will no longer appear as a selectable file to load when I start-up the game again, forcing me to go back and load the previous saved file. I'm getting more and more frustrated with my character having to do the same things over and over again because of this problem.

Have the latest NWN patch and drivers for my system, and have experienced no graphics or sound problems at all with this game. I have never once crashed while PLAYING the game -- problem only occurs while in the process of SAVING a game.

Anyone have any ideas what is going on and how to correct this problem?
Post Fri May 02, 2003 8:45 pm
OhBrandi
The Pun-Slayer
The Pun-Slayer

Sorry for the drill, but you need to give all your system specs for help. I had several issues with NWN until I tweaked my system to support it. I had to use an older driver version for my video card (there are still some issues with some cards and NWN and with some of the newer drivers) and upgrade my ram before the problems went away.

=Member of The Nonflamers' Guild=
=Neverwinter Nights Co-Moderator=
Post Sun May 04, 2003 1:02 am
Pinnen
Wearer of the Hat
Wearer of the Hat

This happens to me only if a use a custom portrait that isnīt correctly done. Thatīs about the only clue I have...

CrossTopicBaner
Post Sun May 04, 2003 11:23 am
Taxen0
Higher Emperor
Higher Emperor

try to quicksave insted....itīs the G key

Try this great game now!
http://www.warriors2.com/default.asp?referedby=163834
http://www.regno.se/default.asp?bonusfrom=3111
Post Sun May 04, 2003 9:27 pm
OctU
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by Pinnen
This happens to me only if a use a custom portrait that isnīt correctly done. Thatīs about the only clue I have...

You nailed it, Pinnen. I've no mods or hacks implemented in my game EXCEPT a custom portrait. Replaced it with a default portrait and lo, the errors with saving games went away. I would have thought a bad or corrupted portrait would cause problems while PLAYING the game, not just when SAVING a game. Nice catch, my friend.
Post Wed May 07, 2003 4:31 pm
Pinnen
Wearer of the Hat
Wearer of the Hat

Always glad to help.

CrossTopicBaner
Post Thu May 08, 2003 10:09 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Always glad to help.

Lintra shakes his head in disbelief. He looks at his screen again. He checks the forum. He rubs his eyes and checks the screen again. He gets up walks around the office for few minutes, comes back. But the screen has not changed! "There can't be TWO Pinnens" he mutters to himself ....

@Pinnen, I didn't know you played NWN at all. Did you enjoy it? What did you think ... have you tried the mods.
Post Thu May 08, 2003 1:40 pm
Pinnen
Wearer of the Hat
Wearer of the Hat

Oh Iīve played it allright. And some modules too, Shadowlords 1-5 and Dreamcather 1-3 last. Very good, I must say. Now Iīm not sure if Iīm going to try Call for Heroes or Citadel of Blood.

I managed to finish the OC after four or so tries, then got caught in trying to mod the game to fit me. Now that I have it like I want (mostly) Iīm finally starting to try out some mods. Iīve downloaded Ekims Tower, but havenīt started it yet.

CrossTopicBaner
Post Thu May 08, 2003 8:05 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

I wish I had internet access at home ... There are a ton of mods I'd love to try out ... but updating to the latest version by downloading the update file and spanning disc's while zipping is a pain the you-know-what. Not to mention zipping the mods!

Anyway, I am glad you enjoyed it. The best part of the experience is the mods!
Post Thu May 08, 2003 8:15 pm
Pinnen
Wearer of the Hat
Wearer of the Hat

It sure is. Both a pain and about the experience, if you get my meaning.

Itīs good to see that there are so many talented people out there, many of the mods and haks are far superior to the original game. Just take Lady Bloods weapon models for instance. Great work if you ask me.

CrossTopicBaner
Post Thu May 08, 2003 8:31 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
It sure is. Both a pain and about the experience, if you get my meaning.

Itīs good to see that there are so many talented people out there, many of the mods and haks are far superior to the original game. Just take Lady Bloods weapon models for instance. Great work if you ask me.

Arg! You whet my appetite!! Anything concerning weapons by a Lady Blood is a must see. I am sorry I have no idea where to find it, or what it does. So...where do I find it? And what does it do?
Post Thu May 08, 2003 9:50 pm
Pinnen
Wearer of the Hat
Wearer of the Hat

Hereare liks to her weapons found on The Vault.Theyīre all hakpaks, so they can only be used in custom modules, unless you extract the contents of the hak into your override folder. That way you can make your own module, create Glamdring or Sting or a nice dagger, load the module with your favorite character, pick up the weapon, export character and bingo! weapon will follow. Beware though that if you play a module that uses other custom content, the weapon you just created mayget replaced by another.

This procedure goes for just about anything; heads, clothes, armor, swords, axes, bows. My character as of now are so heavily modifed I think itīs a miracle any module starts up at all. But she is a beauy...

CrossTopicBaner
Post Fri May 09, 2003 8:57 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Hereare liks to her weapons found on The Vault.Theyīre all hakpaks, so they can only be used in custom modules, unless you extract the contents of the hak into your override folder. That way you can make your own module, create Glamdring or Sting or a nice dagger, load the module with your favorite character, pick up the weapon, export character and bingo! weapon will follow. Beware though that if you play a module that uses other custom content, the weapon you just created mayget replaced by another.

This procedure goes for just about anything; heads, clothes, armor, swords, axes, bows. My character as of now are so heavily modifed I think itīs a miracle any module starts up at all. But she is a beauy...

Many thanks Pinnen! I will post these links in my favorites ... waiting for the time when I get an internet connection at home ... although that time seems far off. Mrs Lintra is concerned about our monthly expenses here in the land of volcanic rock, crazy beautiful beaches, and tourist driven prices.

Come to think of it, the tourists aren't the real drivers of price around here, it is the cash rich companies. Most execs that move here get a housing allowance to cover the high cost of rents ... the AVERAGE package for a high ranking official is $6,000/month!!! Talk about an artificial inflation!
Post Tue May 13, 2003 1:08 pm
Pinnen
Wearer of the Hat
Wearer of the Hat

Iīm not quite sure I follow you now. Does this mean well-payed citizen get more money to be able to afford to stay in their nice houses?

CrossTopicBaner
Post Tue May 13, 2003 1:56 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Iīm not quite sure I follow you now. Does this mean well-payed citizen get more money to be able to afford to stay in their nice houses?

No, it means that over paid ex-pats get even more money to spend on the limited supply of houses driving up prices across the board.

Ex pats can not own property on Bermuda, only Bermudians (for obvious reasons ... it is a small island), so all these guys RENT houses... nay, palaces in some cases.

A truly disgusting (only because I can't do it *g*) ostentatious display. Conspicious consuption at it's nadir!
Post Tue May 13, 2003 2:04 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next