Planescape torment
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeons and Dragons General

Author Thread
Secret Agent Lawanda
The last thing you see...

Planescape torment

Okay, so I got the game and I've started playing. I'm a bit confused over a couple of things and I hope you guys can answer my questions. My version came in a jewel case without a manual.

1. I can tell that this game doesn't use the 3rd edition rules, so can somebody tell me what a thaco is?
2. Where can I get some armor? And what does my AC go down when I put on a tattoo that is supposed to improve it?
3. How do I get another class? I'm suck as a fighter and I want to try out thief.

Other than that, I'm having fun. Morte is hilarious! I love him! =D

Edith: One last question. How can I make it so I don't have to keep swapping out CDs?
Post Mon May 10, 2004 6:07 pm
_gator
High Emperor
High Emperor

Re: Planescape torment

quote:
Originally posted by Secret Agent Lawanda
My version came in a jewel case without a manual.

The manual is on the CD in PDF form. I have it in my "C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Planescape - Torment" folder. I do not remember if it was put there when I installed or if I manually copied it there, but regardless, it's on the CD.

quote:
1. I can tell that this game doesn't use the 3rd edition rules, so can somebody tell me what a thaco is?

THAC0 = To Hit Armor Class Zero
So if you have a THAC0 of 13 and you are trying to hit an opponent with an armor class of 4, then you will need to roll a 9 (13-4) or better on a d20 for a successful hit. So the lower the THAC0, the easier it is to hit an opponent. The higher their AC is, the easier it is to hit them.

quote:
2. Where can I get some armor? And what does my AC go down when I put on a tattoo that is supposed to improve it?

I do not believe there is much in the way of armor in the game. I haven't finished the game, so don't quote me on that. And yes, there are tattoos that will affect your primary and secondary stats.

quote:
3. How do I get another class? I'm suck as a fighter and I want to try out thief.

You will have a find a teacher......ask again if you want more than a hint.

quote:
Edith: One last question. How can I make it so I don't have to keep swapping out CDs?

Do you mean to play different games, or swapping between Disc 1 and Disc2? I have Disc 2 in the CD drive to play the game, but I have not had to switch to Disc 1 at any point.
Post Mon May 10, 2004 9:09 pm
Secret Agent Lawanda

Cool, thanks! I found the manual. This should help me out.

Thanks for the explanation of that thaco thing. I was scratching my head over that one.

There's no armor? That sucks. Do you know of any mods that add armor?

I found a guy who can teach me to be a thief. Can you tell me where to find someone that can teach me to be a mage?

No, when I got to the underground village place that Pharod is at, it asks me to swap to CD 3. Then I have to swap back to CD 2 when I go back to the Hive.
Post Tue May 11, 2004 6:35 pm
_gator
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
There's no armor? That sucks. Do you know of any mods that add armor?
Someone else will need to answer this. I do not know.

quote:
I found a guy who can teach me to be a thief. Can you tell me where to find someone that can teach me to be a mage?
There is a woman in a hut in one of the areas of the Hive. She will ask you to do several errands.... (I hope you don't mind me not giving the answers straight out. )

quote:
No, when I got to the underground village place that Pharod is at, it asks me to swap to CD 3. Then I have to swap back to CD 2 when I go back to the Hive.
Sorry, I guess I can't help you there. Mine only came with 2 CDs.
Post Tue May 11, 2004 6:49 pm
Secret Agent Lawanda

She's in one of the huts? Okay, I think I know which one you mean.

2 CDs? Crap, figures I'd get the one with 4 CDs that I'm gonna have to swap constantly. :p

Edith: stupid spelling :p
Post Tue May 11, 2004 6:54 pm
Schattenherz
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

A Mod that adds Armors to the Game can be downloaded here:

www.sorcerers.net/Games/Torment/index_editors.htm

It's made with TeamBG-Tools, so there might be conflicts with other mods. It needs a full Install to work.
Post Wed May 12, 2004 2:26 am
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

Well, there is actually no armour in the game, the only characters I remember being able to use one were Annah and Fall-From-Grace and that can be bought in a tailor's shop somewhere in the district you fing Fall-From-Grace (I am sorry, but I don't remember the name).
I think you will not have to swap CDs, SAL, if you copy the CDs on your hard-drive, and then edit the path to them in the torment.ini file in the directory of the game (for example if you copy the 3rd DC in C:\PS - T\cd 3, then in the ini file you will have to write that instead of D:, where I assume that your hard drive is volume C, and that your CD/DVD rom is D).
Post Wed May 12, 2004 3:08 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

You don't need armor. You're immortal and you regenerate nicely (I regenerated insanely, heh). Your followers do not require armor as you can raise them at will (if you did a quest in the first area properly).

In 2nd edition the lower the AC the better. A negative adds and a positive subtracts. This is why they changed it for third edition.

I think a full install will negate the need for CD switching... if not there's a way to copy all the CDs to the drive and modify a file to point at them for the source files they're looking for. I know I had it running without CD switching...

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Wed May 12, 2004 3:13 pm
Grolav
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I ripped all this from one of the Planescape Torment guides at www.gamefaqs.com Trimmed it a bit.
I just hope noone will sue me for doing this.

”FULL INSTALL

This is how I did it:

Install as normal. Next, copy the contents of disks 2, 3, and 4 onto your hard drive. Finally, edit the torment.ini file using Notepad and edit the file paths for the appropriate CDs (they are near the beginning of the file). Normally, the default file paths will look something like this:

CD2:=E:\CD2\
CD3:=E:\CD3\
CD4:=E:\CD4\

Depending on where you placed the contents of the CDs, you should have something like this (changes made are in lower case):

CD2:=c:\games\black isle\torment\cd2\
CD3:=c:\games\black isle\torment\cd3\
CD4:=c:\games\black isle\torment\cd4\

If you do the complete full install, you'll only need to leave CD 2 in your CD drive whenever you play.”

Hope this works for you.
Post Wed May 12, 2004 4:40 pm
servii
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ohmmmm, do not listen them!!! There is an ARMOR in the game. One of the best you can find in all of D&D games. The Living One! The Crushing One! The Final One!

"Justice is eternal!"
Post Wed May 12, 2004 5:29 pm
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
Your followers do not require armor as you can raise them at will (if you did a quest in the first area properly).

Boy did I kick myself the second time through the game when I discovered that quest - made the whole party a little less fragile. And was I the only one who forgot I was immortal until the first time I died and came back?
~~Champion of the (Unofficial) RPGdot Text Signature Contest 2002~~
Post Thu May 13, 2004 4:33 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

quote:
Originally posted by servii
Ohmmmm, do not listen them!!! There is an ARMOR in the game. One of the best you can find in all of D&D games. The Living One! The Crushing One! The Final One!

"Justice is eternal!"

An annoying piece of animated armor.

@Lawanda: Don't bother with armor, you won't need it.
Post Thu May 13, 2004 6:30 pm
servii
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Val, I don't know how to quote but I’m not going to quote you however
-The others will not see this WRONG, WRONG opinion regarding one of my favorite NPCs.
The Living One is pure fanatism, the one side of the coin...

Btv did you prefer
"...a great Injustice has been done!"
Or
The Final fight with Him???

I'm interested in your intentions for the Living One in the second part of PS:T (yours).
I've always dreamt not for the next but for the previous
Post Thu May 13, 2004 8:50 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

quote:
Originally posted by Kendrik
Boy did I kick myself the second time through the game when I discovered that quest - made the whole party a little less fragile. And was I the only one who forgot I was immortal until the first time I died and came back?

I mostly kept my party out of sight, out of mind near the middle to end part of the game. I liked the characters and felt bad every time one of them dirtnapped, even for a second. They are pretty fragile when compared to the Nameless One... but then again, they're mortal.

Except Vhailor. Vhailor I used to beat most of the magic using bosses in the later part of the game (my video card at the time couldn't handle intense magical displays very well, so I'd send in Old Rusty and wait for the sound effects to become a steady thwaking of an axe in flesh before moving in).

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri May 14, 2004 3:44 pm
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
quote:
Originally posted by Kendrik

I mostly kept my party out of sight, out of mind near the middle to end part of the game. I liked the characters and felt bad every time one of them dirtnapped, even for a second. They are pretty fragile when compared to the Nameless One... but then again, they're mortal.

Except Vhailor. Vhailor I used to beat most of the magic using bosses in the later part of the game (my video card at the time couldn't handle intense magical displays very well, so I'd send in Old Rusty and wait for the sound effects to become a steady thwaking of an axe in flesh before moving in).

Ah Vhailor - I never kept him long as after THAT fight (you know the one I mean) I always felt guilty keeping him so I always convinced him to rest (never killed him in a fight though). Hmmmm I think I may have to go reply this game again - it really was very good. I really wish I could roleplay back in Sigil again - once did it for one campaign and really enjoyed it - my half celestial paladin always enjoyed giving away hi share of the loot to helpless berks - much to the chargrin of the rest of the party . Unforunately I don't have much time and when I do my friends are playing a Delta Green game atm. Ho hum
~~Champion of the (Unofficial) RPGdot Text Signature Contest 2002~~
Post Fri May 14, 2004 6:06 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next