Usergroups
Ghost in the Shell - Innocence September 17th US Theaters
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Books & Movies

Author Thread
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well, the movie was OK, better than the first (how could it not be?), but way worse than the series. The 3D was sleek and well-made, as expected, but the whole what-is-life thing is just tiresome.

Plus, Batou and Togusa are the most interesting of them all.
Post Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:57 pm
Amelia
City Guard
City Guard

I saw it a couple weeks ago and I wasn't that impressed. The animation is wonderful and I don't mind the pseudo philosophy; I just found myself losing thought in other things than the movie. It was tired. I might watch it again a year from now...
Post Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:26 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Hands down one of the greatest movies I have EVER seen. The best animation ever put to cel.

My optics, spinal-cybernetics, auditory-receptors, and core processing units melted into a pool of MERCURY after viewing this film.

Oishi did not sell out with this dark, cyberpunk film. This movie goes right beside Blade Runner as one of the most mind-blowing pieces of film to ever grace the silver-screen. This is definitely not mainstream entertainment!!!

Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:17 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Well, the Japanese DVD of Ghost in the Shell: Innocence was out last month. No English subtitle though, must be due to regional market sharing, publishing deal, etc. But of course, there is illegal subtitle version floating out there somewhere.

The visuals in the film is outstanding, however the story, plot structure, dialogues are rather so-so; dialogues style trying too hard to sound like very intellignece. I'm worried the next movie (if any) would end up like Final Fantasy: The Spirit Within - all about visual, style but no substance, with story that only can be enjoy by most geeky fans. The opening is cool, make you think of Blade Runner, the skyline shots is beautiful, as so the futuristic Asian contructions, but some shots lingering too long; i prefer straight to real and better stuff (plot, story, cool action sequences) instead trying to make use gawking at building or scenery.

I like the original better, although the sequel isn't bad - i would rate it above average.

Reviews at RottenTomatoes
Post Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:25 am
Amelia
City Guard
City Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Remus

I like the original better, although the sequel isn't bad - i would rate it above average.

Post Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:11 am
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

If you bought the US DVD you probably think the close-captioned subtitles suck right? Well go to the official site....

http://www.gofishpictures.com/GITS2/main.html

Click on the red link that says "Questions about your DVD?"

Fill out the form and they will send you a pre-paid mailer to return your disc. They will send you a corrected DVD with smaller subtitles and no close-captions.

It was really annoying having the subtitles describe who is talking and ever sound....

"door---noise whirring sound"

"Batou--talking...."

Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:02 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Heh, I was wondering why the subtitles were wierd.

As for the movie itself, I was a bit disappointed. I think they wasted too much time on useless eye candy instead of making real content.
Post Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:15 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

quote:
Originally posted by Val
Heh, I was wondering why the subtitles were wierd.

Got my corrected copy in the mail. The subtitles are smaller, and the movie is now like the theatrical version. No more annoying close-captions!
Post Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:58 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2