Usergroups
English Subtitles text for German Gothic 2 Demo
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Srikandi
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Makri: LOL (and that's not an expression I use lightly!)

Temptress: http://hornox.bei.t-online.de/gothic2_english_text.zip
Post Tue Dec 10, 2002 9:57 am
ressu
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Heh, those machine translations are kinda funny. But seriously, when can we expect a first release from Xerxes? I hope soon
Post Tue Dec 10, 2002 9:34 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

Oh, soon. I just got really bored with Hex Editing a thousand lines of code.

Seriously, I am up through the Bandit dialog, as things go, I wonder if if it is really worth doing more considering the difficulty for a MOD that will only be good until the English Demo comes out; maybe close to release in two months. It is alot of work.

I am doing more, bear with me. It is more daunting task than I realized. I will try to finish Bandits Dialog for starters up soon, I guess.

First part to release is the bandit dialog, then people can see how well I translated it -machine autotranslator is very crude, that is why I did this. Please understand German is not my native tongue and they use slang. Also, it can be very nerve racking to figure out exactly what they are saying -and my translation must fit into the same space as the German text.

Sorry if I am a bit slow. A poster named Freakie gave me a ftp site to upload the text- almost the same size as HornOx.

PS for those you can actually speak German...this one really is getting me down...

What does 'reinzulegen' mean? I think it is slang for either getting "knocked out down clean on the ground" (beaten up) or "to put it more clearly" See how much slang is confusing?

Also, as Gorath said, will this ruin the game? Voice acting is very much important to the atmosphere and actually could ruin sales. Most English speaking people will not download a huge German demo if they can not understand it as it is; but if there was an English Mod made for it, they may go ahead and then base their evaluation on that. Never bothering to download the real English demo coming within two months, and not experience the full flavor and atmosphere of the game. It is a big concern of mine.
Post Wed Dec 11, 2002 1:06 am
Weas
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

No worries

I wouldn't worry about it Xer. Most of us will greatly appreciate your hard work. Nor are we thieves that won't buy the game because of a translation that may not be what Xicat expects.
Just keep at it. We support and thank you.
Post Wed Dec 11, 2002 1:19 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by Xerxes712

What does 'reinzulegen' mean? I think it is slang for either getting "knocked out down clean on the ground" (beaten up) or "to put it more clearly" See how much slang is confusing?

Itīs not even slang. Just a frequently used construct which moves the 'zu' (= 'to') into the verb because 'zu reinlegen' sounds bad.
http://dict.leo.org/?search=reinlegen

edit: My explanation is of course too trivial. This is the German equivalent to things like 'Somebody _verb1_ to _verb2_ somebody/something'. For example "Gomez tried to kill Lee."

Last edited by Gorath on Wed Dec 11, 2002 1:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Dec 11, 2002 1:19 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Re: No worries

quote:
Originally posted by Weas
I wouldn't worry about it Xer. Most of us will greatly appreciate your hard work. Nor are we thieves that won't buy the game because of a translation that may not be what Xicat expects.
Just keep at it. We support and thank you.

What has Xicat got to do with this?
Post Wed Dec 11, 2002 1:21 am
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

Thanks Gorath, I was using "rein zu legen" = (to clean, clear, pristine) (to go into) (to lay down). So I thought it was either 'beaten clean down' or 'to put is more clearly'.

This did not make quite sense, since he was trying to get in good with the bandit. The hero response was (2) "Es hat schon mal einer versucht mich reinzulegen..."

Now it makes sense! (2) " He has already at one time tried to hoodwink me..." and that peaks the interest of the bandit to want to hear more, instead of attacking him.

Curious about reinlegen = hoodwink, among other things. How does that come from the root words: rein legen. Literally " to put it down clearly" it seems the exact opposite of what it actaully means 'to hoodwink'.
Post Wed Dec 11, 2002 1:50 am
TheCleric
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

My thanks in advance to Xerxes

I would like to offer my sincere thanks to you, Xerxes for all of the hard work you're doing on the english sub-title conversions. I've been dying to try the Gothic 2 Demo, but the fact that my German is limited to "Good Morning", "Good Day", "Good Night" and "Gezundheit" has kept me from trying.

I wish I could offer to help, (since it sounds like you're feeling a little overwhelmed), but I'm afraid all I can do is tell you how much your work will be appreciated by those of us impatiently waiting to try out this great game!

Perhaps you might be able to find a few other's who understand hex-editing, speak a little German and would be willing to offer their assistance? It seems as though this might be easier (and faster) as a joint project? Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I, for one, am anxiously awaiting your release and to offer my thanks for all of the hard work you're putting in on this. Thanks!
Post Wed Dec 11, 2002 3:05 am
Temptress
Purely Innocent
Purely Innocent

srikandi:

Thank you.
Post Wed Dec 11, 2002 4:01 am
Bobby
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

>> Curious about reinlegen = hoodwink, among other things. How does that come from the root words: rein legen. Literally " to put it down clearly" it seems the exact opposite of what it actaully means 'to hoodwink'.

Well, think of "jemanden rein legen" as putting someone into something; that something being a trap. rein = into; legen = put.
Post Wed Dec 11, 2002 10:35 am
Greb Jnnayr
Village Leader
Village Leader

Thank you for the Translation. It is great.
Post Wed Dec 11, 2002 11:23 pm
werpu
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Help is underway

Xerces for your translation of reinzulegen. It really depends on the context. If you take it literally, reinlegen (the base of the verb) means to trick somebody, or to frame/betray somebody. I think you get it.
But the conext might be different since you suggested a context of beating somebody down. I need the full senctence to have a clear clue. But since the game doesn't really use slang except for the sailor in the harbor area, merely uses a high german spoken in rougher action movies I think you would be better off with the literal translation of trying to trick somebody into something.

I think the sentence you have is something like:
"Willst Du mich reinlegen?" thjs roughly translated means:

"Do you want to trick me"
"Do you want to frame me"
"Do you want to betray me"
"Do you want to 'fuck' with me" in the slang sense of fuck is used in modern english as
a hard filler for everything which isn fuck in the literal sense.

"Do you want to beat me up"
Would have been called in german if I go the language route of Gothic
"Willst Du mich zusammenschlagen"
"Willst Du mich versohlen" (this one is really high german slang)
"Willst Du mir eine auf die Fresse hauen" (which is better translated into, do you want to kick my ass/butt) which goes into the same pseudo high german slang.

I hope this helps
Post Wed Dec 11, 2002 11:38 pm
werpu
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Sorry I forgot there is a differnt meaning to reinlegen as well.
Etwas reinlegen means to put something into something:

For instance

I lege das Schwert in die Kiste means:

I am putting the sword into the chest.

So it depends on the context of the dialog if you take the translation of put something into something or of betraying sombody. After a short thought I am not aware of a third meaning of the word reinlegen.
Post Wed Dec 11, 2002 11:42 pm
TheCleric
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Update?

Hi Xerxes, I haven't seen any posts in this thread in a while and was just wondering if you were still working on that translation?
Post Fri Dec 27, 2002 10:58 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

he is probably working like hell
Post Sat Dec 28, 2002 1:42 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next