Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
How many people think RPGs were better in the old days?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
DevilsBane
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I Enjoyed NWN...... it was my first ever RPG. And Morrowind was ok if a little shallow and buggy.

The game I have to recommend, I bought last week for £6 and its AWESOME is Baldur's Gate II.

I have never played BG I so I don't know what thats like, but I hear BG II is different in many way. But I have to recommend it because I think its 10 times better than both NWN and MOrrowind, for £6 its an absolute bargain. And to be honest the graphics hardly look that dated at all. Sure its different because its not 3d environment. BUT its all hand painted in the most excellent detail and has some trully beautifull backdrops

The first 30 mins of the game, in the dungeon is chapter 1 is slow, but thats just the learning curve chapter really. After that its just the best damn game around

The characters are as diverse and interesting as you could as k for. Theres variety and depth galore in this game.

Definately and absolutely the best game I have played in a LONG time.

Thats an honest recommendation from someone who was never really a big RPG player at all, but credit wher its due BG II could have cost £50 and I still wouldnt have regretted buying it

For £6 I feel guilty getting it so cheap!
Post Fri Nov 22, 2002 1:08 pm
FireAnt
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

What is the right Baldur's gate? Baldur's gate2 Shadows of Amn or Baldur's gate2 throne of Baal? I just checked furure shop.com and they where both there
Post Fri Nov 22, 2002 5:13 pm
goshuto
Wanderer
Wanderer

quote:
Originally posted by FireAnt
What is the right Baldur's gate? Baldur's gate2 Shadows of Amn or Baldur's gate2 throne of Baal? I just checked furure shop.com and they where both there

Shadows of Amn is the standalone game, Throne of Bhaal is the expansion.
Post Fri Nov 22, 2002 5:21 pm
DevilsBane
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by FireAnt

Yeah as mentioned above, Shadows of Ahn is the main game ToB is the expansion. I bought SoA originally, but m,y copy of ToB arrived today now , I bought that because I am enjoying SoA so much

BG II has finesse and quality written all over it
Post Fri Nov 22, 2002 5:42 pm
cecirdr
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by Val
You want an example of a game where one can influence the outcome of the game? Geneforge. There are several factions and based on what you say and how you act, those factions will react accordingly. As for the ending? You can help various factions rise to power or crush them under your boot heel. You can join the opposition, take power for yourself, or stay true to your original goals. You can kill everyone you meet or befriend them. Whatever you choose, you just have to be ready to face the consequences, and no, the consquences are not plot breakers.

Geneforge was released earlier this year. Don't expect any fancy-shmacy Morrowind graphics, just better gameplay and plot.

Ok...I'm coming in really late to this thread....and to top it off I haven't even read the latest posts yet, so this may actually be off topic compared to what's being discussed now. But I just felt I had to go ahead and second Val's opinion of geneforge.

I'm playing this game now. The plot so far is awesome, though for right now I'm staying clear of picking a faction to align with. I've been searching high and low for "the next great rpg" only to lately have them boil down to party management and battle strategy, not *role* playing. Now...I'm very limited 'cause I'm on a macintosh, but so far games like BGII and geneforge are still fantastic. I'm rediscovering them since there's no new titles out for mac. What at first was making me grumpy (no new RPGs on my platform) is now making me happy because I've found games I'd never have considered otherwise.

I had a PC for awhile and tried the single player campain for NWN, but got bored by it since it was (for me) basically battle strategy, talk to folks and get a mission, battle strategy, talk, battle, talk, battle. You get the picture. I think the multiplayer fuction of NWN might have brought alot more real role playing to it, but I never got to that point. I also twirled around in Dungeon Siege for awhile. For a romp, it's ok, but roleplaying it ain't.

Lately the games seem to be focusing on the mechanics of roleplaying....the leveling, the battle strategies, turn vs real time (for now turn based has lost out), and equipment. But a story that you really care about, that shocks you when you find out a consequence of a decision you or someone else made doesn't seem to be in any of them. A story that feels like it's really unfolding right now....and scripted to allow you many different ways to play the story out....that's missing too.

Great stories are hard to come by I guess, but battle mechanics, inventory management, and leveling strategies, don't make for roleplaying. Oh well, what was just going to be a plug for geneforge has turned into a rant. If you're willing to give up the graphics and fancy sound, you'll find an awesome gaming experience. As a matter of fact, you my miss the graphics a bit at first, but eventually I'll bet you get so sucked into the story that you don't even notice the graphics any more.

Ceci
(who's played geneforge in 6 and 8 hours stretches non-stop..I haven't done that since planescape:torment and back in the days of text based zork)

------------------
I am. Therefore I think.
Post Fri Nov 22, 2002 6:26 pm
Gothic Soul
Master of Shadows
Master of Shadows

My grandfather says in the old days everything was better. ANd Yes Super Mario RPG was a Great RPG for the Snes.
Post Fri Nov 22, 2002 9:45 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

quote:
Originally posted by cecirdr
battle strategies, turn vs real time (for now turn based has lost out)

Hehehe... Mind new Pool of Radiance and Wizardry 8. They were turn-based. Though, new Pool of Radiance sucked. In fact I have to say, that for me in computer-RPGs the difference between turn-based and real time battles is not so important as long as you can *space* to pause. See, in Wizardry 8 you have turn based combat and it works fine; in Bioware's D&D you can pause at any time and it works equally good. Sure, without an opportunity to stop battle and to think RPG will turn to arcade-kill-em-all. We're lucky to have very few such games. Even Dungeon Siege made use of spacebar. Not that it helped the role-playing side of it

...Just to comment on this particular issue. I don't think this thread needs any more nostalgia - we sure know that there are great old games, and there are quite nice new/recent games, and there will be great games in the near future (Lionheart, for instance). So that's it. CRPGs are not dying, thanx god. People, get a live!
Post Sat Nov 23, 2002 12:45 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5