RPGDot Forums > Ultima

Author Thread
Farrier
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Richard Gariott as Toto?

I was reading an old, old article, from back in 2001:
http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,47624,00.html

In it, EA "spokesman" Jeff Brown, says "As for Richard Garriott's approval, that's like getting permission from Toto to remake The Wizard of Oz."

[edit: expressions of irritation at that poor choice of words, and asking what the reaction had been at the time.]

Last edited by Farrier on Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:50 am
Withstand the Fury
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

While I will entertain no discussions in which Ultima 8 or Ultima 9 are derided or in any way treated as unworthy of their places in the Ultima canon, I do have to say that this is quite old news you've found. That quote has been and gone.

The comment was made, I believe, in response to Richard Garriot writing letters to a couple of remake projects in which he gave his approval and blessing to them. One such letter is featured on the Exult website, actually.

Of course, the community reacted with its predictable outrage, and of course EA continued to maintain its legal right to the Ultima IP, which it had of course purchased some years earlier.

I will remark only that in a forum in which Ultima remake projects are discussed, and given that you are yourself heading up a remake in close association with taC .rD, you might exercise a little prudence and not bad-mouth EA...at least not here. Yes, this man may have no tact - clearly, his statements demonstrate this - and yes, there is perhaps good reason to boycott EA games.

But this is not the place to talk about it.

WtFD
Administrator: The Orphanage
Post Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:17 am
Farrier
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yeah, you're right, and wise as usual: I kneejerked, and am sorry :)

Big businesses can't usually afford to be altruistic, since in a competitive market, they are constantly fighting for survival. A publishing house has almost no real-world assets, other than a few computers, possibly a few exclusive licenses, and its intellectual property. The last is by far their biggest asset, and it would be very unwise of them not to guard it fiercely.

As a programmer, so I should know all this: I was merely irked at the wording.
Post Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:38 pm
Withstand the Fury
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

It was not tactful wording, and you'd hardly be the first person to react to it in this way. Heck, I don't think you'd even be in the list of the first 500 people to react to it this way.

But yeah - lots of EA games covered on the site, probably some EA reps occasionally check the site. Especially as remake developers, we must exercise tact and restraint, even if certain company representatives don't.

WtFD
Administrator: The Orphanage
Post Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:24 pm
Razimus
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yeah I recently found the article myself, and it just proves what I always suspected, that EA has no respect for Garriott 2 t's, poor choice of words is an understatement, it's the equivalent of the producer of the movie the wizard of oz giving no respect to the author of the original book the movie was based on. Reminds me of that recent move, 'a sound of thunder', based on the short story by Ray Bradbury, the director had no respect for the genius of Ray Bradbury and wanted to remove the key element of the script the butterfly, Ray Bradbury being the originator of the theory known as the butterfly effect, anyway I recommend you don't watch the movie Mr. Bradbury said he wouldn't, I made the mistake of being one of the few that did and the special effects make an episode of stargate sg1 look great in comparison. Despite the dpecial effects, it's by far the worst time travel move I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot.

--- Razimus
Post Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:29 pm