View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Oblivion - Spoilers

Author Thread
HoLoPo1nT
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

"Where Spirits Have Lease" quest possible corrupt

Hello folks,

In Anvil you hear early on that Velwyn Benirus is trying to sell Benirus Manor cheap because it is reputedly haunted. He wants to sell it for 5,000 gold. Once I had scraped together enough cash I went and bought it from him, thinking there was more to it than just a quick sale...and there is but this is not a spoiler.

Anyways, after progressing to the point in the quest where you no longer need Velwyn Benirus's assistance, the game Autosaves. At this point I also made a Quicksave to reflect the recollection of my used arrows.

I followed through with the next step of the quest and died. Not surprising given the powerful nature of the foe but I figured this was no problem since I had two backup saves to fall back to (the Autosave and the Quicksave).

I proceeded to load the Quicksave and when the game loaded everything was normal EXCEPT my character's model was still dead...prone on the floor, inert, inanimate, non-responsive. Everything else was fine with the character..Health, Magicka and Fatigue bars at full, all inventory, quest and map screens accessible, etc. but she was useless.

I then loaded the Autosave and the same thing happened. At this point I decided to reload the game to see what happened. This time the load screen appears for each save and when the Loading bar completes, the loadscreen remains but flickers, effectively crashing the game...those two saves are borked.

Has anyone else run into this problem with this quest?

Thankfully I had an earlier fallback save recorded just before I went to pay Velwyin Benirus the 5k gold so I didn't lose too much progress but still...this is annoying.

Very cool quest though and in general I am totally loving all of the scripted, variegated goodies the dev's have thrown our way with TES: Oblivion!!

Laters,

HoLo
Post Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:32 pm
argent1970
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

i'm at the point where you meet up again with velwyn to open the portal- i'll be sure to do a save before then and i'll report back what i encounter. thanks for the heads up!
Post Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:42 am
argent1970
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

okay, this was a tough fight, but i haven't experienced the bug you had. i died the first time but reloaded fine. p.s. look in the tomb at the back of the room, inside one of the sacks is a ring that might help. the only advice i can give is as he is appearing i got right on top of him and started wailing away and i also had a strong potion of reflect which seemed to help too. good luck!
Post Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:04 am
HoLoPo1nT
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Thanks for the reply argent, perhaps it was an anomaly with my system.

I will go back and try it again since I need the ectoplasm for a Fighters Guild quest anyhow.

Thanks for the heads up on that ring btw...since I had what I felt was an ironclad backup strategy with the Autosave and Quicksave before entering the room, I just barrelled on with the quest instead of exploring the room first thinking I could learn about the encounter and if I failed, always come back and go about it more meticulously (yup, I R run-on-sentence king sometimes ).

Looking forward to re-doing this quest when I get home from school

Laters,

HoLo
Post Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:45 pm
HoLoPo1nT
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Well, I went back and re-did this quest and everything worked fine!! The only differences between this time and last were the addition of that nice ring to my equipped inventory and the fact that I was a few levels higher than I was when initially attempting it. Oh, and I didn't die this time either.

I'm an Agent with focus on Missile Weapons so basically I kited the summoned skeleton around the chamber and shot an arrow into the Lich whenever I passed by him. The stats on that ring plus the inherent Dark Elf fire resistance really minimized the damage I took from his spells but it was still a tough, lengthy fight. Totally fun too!

At this point Im thinking the corrupt save games I ran into last time were a fluke.

Thanks for the tips argent.

Laters,

HoLo
Post Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:32 pm
Calavera
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I know this might sound strange but how do you get this guy to follow you ? My quest log says I need to get him to follow me but all he's says to me is "I'm sorry I can't help you with the curse. You bought the house; you'll have to deal with it"
I have excused all dialog options and my disposition is at 100.

I don't know what to do.
Post Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:28 pm
HoLoPo1nT
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Here is a brief synopsis of the quest as I found it:

1) Hear about Benirus Manor being on the market.

2) Go and speak with Benirus, learn the sale price, pay for the Manor.

3) Go to the house, sleep a full night in the bed until awoken by ghosts.

4) Kill the ghosts, find the broken urn, retrieve the journal piece and hand

5) Go to the 'Arms' and talk to the owner, he tells you where Benirus is.

6) Find Benirus in the Imperial City.

7) Meet Benirus back at the Arms in Anvil

AT THIS POINT, after you have spoken with him he should follow you to the Manor and until his part of the quest is completed.

I did find that if you try to exit the Arms after parts 7/8 while NPC's are entering the Inn then Benirus will exit out the back door and not follow until you go out back and get him.

Later,

HoLo
Post Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:06 am
Calavera
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

cheers for the pointers.
I figured it out last night, When you find the Skeletal hand and note in the broken jar, make sure you take the note with you. I didn’t and I had no evidence with which to convince the guy to come back to the house.

Great mission, I'm delighted with the new place.
Post Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:23 am
argent1970
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

the place cleans up rather nicely, doesn't it?
Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:35 am
Dark Phoenix
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ok, I need a bit of a push in the right direction here. I went to the emperial city and spoke to that dude that sold me the house, but he wont come back to anvil with me. My disposition is maxed at 100, so it's not like he doesn't like me. I've got the hand from the vase, is there something I'm missing?
Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:08 am
Calavera
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yes, There is also a note in the vase. You'll need that too when you talk to him.

Cal.
Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:18 pm
Dark Phoenix
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Oooohhhhh! I must take the note. I just read it you see.
Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:19 pm
IVIaster Andrew
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

where spirits have lease

hey everyone i'm new here (just signed up a few mins ago) but was hoping someone could help me.

i've bought the house in anvil and killed the ghosts that appear after you awaken.

i've looked over and over in the bottom lair of the basement and (i might just be stupid) i can't find the hand and scroll and was hoping someone could be a bit more specific. i would greatly appriciate it if someone could help me. thanks!
Post Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:39 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

The hand and the scroll aren't in the basement - but yeah, that's where I went looking as well!

Search the ground floor of the house instead.
Post Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:27 pm