View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Books & Movies

Author Thread
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

quote:
Originally posted by xSamhainx
I really like Anne Rice. Any of the "Vampire Chronicles" is a great read for me.

Sam - If you like vampire books have you read Brian Lumley's Necroscope series. Well written and well thought out vampire mythos, mixes real world history with psi powers .
~~Champion of the (Unofficial) RPGdot Text Signature Contest 2002~~
Post Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:23 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Koontz was mentioned? Heheh, neat, I love his stuff, Midnight was my favorite Koontz book. I once interviewed him for some 'fantastic literature' magazine, he's also a very nice guy.
Post Wed Oct 29, 2003 5:39 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
Koontz was mentioned? Heheh, neat, I love his stuff, Midnight was my favorite Koontz book. I once interviewed him for some 'fantastic literature' magazine, he's also a very nice guy.

Heh, lucky for you to actually met him. I read most of his earlier books. In fact sometime i felt his books is better than what were wrote by Stephen King. But the more and longer i read a works by particular author, there's tendency their works becoming more & more cliche' and cheesy. Books by John Grisham still taste good though - my favorite.

Just recently i went to bookstore and found new books by Michael Crichton - Prey, and Scott Turow - Reversible errors. Interesting stuff. Anyway i end up with Soul Mountain by Gao Xingjian, to see what's this "winner of the nobel prize for literature" capable of, and Memoirs of a Geisha - last i heart someone at Holloywood trying to make a movie based on it...
Post Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:49 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

quote:
Originally posted by Remus
But the more and longer i read a works by particular author, there's tendency their works becoming more & more cliche' and cheesy.

One gets used to their style and content - authors tend to repeat themselves, so the first books by a certain author one actually reads usually are those one remembers the most fondly.
Post Wed Oct 29, 2003 7:51 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

@Kendrick
Yes, Lumley is a great author! I had kinda forgotten about him, it must have been at least a decade since I read some of his great Cthulu-inspired "Titus Crow" tales. As far as Necroscope goes, the only one that I read was in comic book *clears throat*excuse me, graphic novel form. It wasnt particularly memorable because it was like #4 of 6, and I was joining a story well under way and wasnt sure of all that was going on. Thanks for reminding me of Lumley tho, I need to start out at the very beginning with Necroscope that one just kinda faded into obscurity for me.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:46 am
Jung
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Clive Barker's "Weaveworld" is what I am reading now.
Post Wed Oct 29, 2003 5:31 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I started to read "The Battle of the Bulge - then and now" by Jean Paul Pallud today. Basically 544 pages of pictures.
Post Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:19 pm
NidPuterGuy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Fav books

I've forgotten a lot of books I read when I was younger but Dune is my number one favorite. I didn't like the rest of the series though but the first is really good.
Post Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:29 am
Bartacus
Il Buono
Il Buono

Today and the past few days and most likely the next few days: Executive orders (Tom Clancy)
NFG member
Post Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:10 pm
Neo_Genesis
The Assassin
The Assassin

Artemis Fowl: The Eternity Code

i just finished the other 2 parts...
Post Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:15 pm
Toaster
Bread Alert
Bread Alert

I'm currently reading a Swedish detective novel taking place in the year of 1977.

Tabbrowser Extensions
DictionarySearch
Post Tue Nov 04, 2003 7:53 pm
Krzychu
Hidden Character
Hidden Character

I dont read a lot, (I dont have time, I think...) but when I do I enjoy it.
I like Stephen King, last I read "Dreamcatcher". Right now I'm reading an old book by Henry Kuttner, unfortunately I dont know the original title.
Post Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:07 pm
cptmaxon
High Emperor
High Emperor

mostly sci fi and fantasy
my favorites authors

David Weber
Terry Parchett(diskworld,good omen,the carpet people)
R.A salavtore

I alsoi will alwyays have a special place in my heart for catch 22 bu Josep Heller one of the best books I read
Post Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:30 pm
Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I grew up on a lot of classics. Alexandre Dumas, Charles Dickens, C.S. Lewis, etc. In junior high, I started my science fiction addiction (Asimov, Clark, Bradbury, etc), which worsened into a fantasy addiction when I found J.R.R. Tolkien in the school's small library. In high school, I started to read more Shakespeare, Tolstoy, Dostoyevsky, some Joyce (though not willingly--for some reason, I cannot bring myself to read more than a few pages of Ulysses, even if I enjoy his short stories). I don't read as much fiction as I used to. Just not enough time while going to college. When I can, I read short stories favorite authors, like Nabokov, Andre Dubus, and others. Umberto Eco, James Clavell, Margaret Atwood, Jorge Borges, Gene Wolfe, Dan Simmons, George R.R. Martin, and others come to mind. I also read books on history, religion, archaeology, anthropology, and philosophy.

And more recently, I find myself reading a lot of scientic research articles for my major. I just started Eco's Baudolino.
Post Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:50 am
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Just started "Hagakure", The Book of the Samurai by Yamamoto Tsunetomo.
Post Thu Nov 06, 2003 7:40 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next