View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Beardy Geek, Role Playing Freak!

Hi Morrowind peeps

Still lurking around the forum. Tuning in at lunchtimes to get my Morrowind fix. Until Friday! When It finally gets it's UK release! (Huzzah!)

But I wanted to ask you something. Throughout the forum I read a lot of posts from people talking about levels. My character is such and such a level, or my magic user levels more slowly than my fighter. Or Skills, I've maxed out on this skill or what are the best skills for playing the game.

I had fully intended to create a character from the heart and then play them warts and all. Dealing with whatever limitations my initial choices cause, as and when they crop up. Like life.

But now I am worried. If play this way... is there a posibility that I will be labelled a Beardy Geek or a Roleplaying Freak and chased out of town?
Do I need to become stat obsessed if I am to stand any chance of enjoying Morrowind?, and if I don't will I still be invited to social functions?

Yours concerned from the UK

Badger
Post Tue May 28, 2002 4:32 pm
Dave
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I think you will have fun regardless of the limitations caused by your choice in playing style. I haven't played with a pre-made class yet, and I'm still having a good time. No matter what you style you choose, you'll most likely find something to excel at. Good luck...
Post Tue May 28, 2002 5:15 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Playing for maxing purposes is fine. If you do a great job you might remember the game in a few years.

Playing for style is fine. You WILL remember your character in a few years.

Play however you want. You can't really screw up the game (though you can make things... interesting... for a thief character if you go up too many levels due to thieving skills and your combat skills are still really low).

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Tue May 28, 2002 6:04 pm
SirVincealot
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

A thought

Mayhaps thou shouldst keep this in mind: MORROWIND doth give back what you do put in!

The deeper thou dost plunge into the wonders of Vvardenfell, the more heartily it shall embrace you. The sheer beauty of this here game is the capacity it doth have to let you *adventure* As the cleric doth say: "God is in the details!"

'Tis much like life: if thou takest the highways, they will take thee where thou dost want to go directly and quickly. If thou meanders through the byways, the true heart and soul of the land doth lay itself at thy feet and no'ne knows where they may take thee...

I daresay thou hast embarked on a grand adventure: savour it! Piece by piece, town by town, quest by quest...

Fare thee well, traveller
SirVincealot
Post Tue May 28, 2002 6:22 pm
Warmaster-Horus
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

SirVincealot said it best (Sort of ) Morrowind is what you make of it. It is an almost unique game in that it can actually be fun to be a powergamer or actually roleplay (unless you roleplay a powergamer )

=Leader of the Horus Heresy=
=Champion of Khorne=
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD SKULLS FOR THE THRONE
Post Tue May 28, 2002 6:37 pm
Morandil
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I'm not sure what you want to hear, but Morrowind is a sufficiently "forgiving" game (read "easy") that you can have a good amount of success with most characters. I'm sure that people can find ways to mess up the game, but I haven't really seen one yet. As long as you have some kind of combat capability, you should do fine (whether this is magic or weapons or both). After all, there are many quests (main and side) where you just have to be able to kill some things. After that, you can approach quests and problems in different ways.
Post Tue May 28, 2002 11:13 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Thanks for the replies guys. Particularly SirVincealot with his brilliantly written advice forsooth

I do owe those of you who gave ernest advice a bit of an appology though.

Although new to the Morrowind page, I have been kicking around RPGdot forums for a little while now, posting my rantings and ravings on the world in general for Gothic, Dungeon Siege and M&M, and while on the first two title forums they are quite used to my babblings, I seem to have forgotten that you folks here on the Morrowind forum won't be.

For the record. I am not actually remotely concerned with how I am going to play the game. It's going to be great however I go about it. The humour is pahaps a little on the dry side

I was actually holding up our seeming obsession with levelling and stats so that we could have a bit of a laugh at ourselves. I was remarking on how, in our rush to reach the destination, we often forget to enjoy the journey.

So, please accept my appologies. I see that this is a very serious forum and I promise to behave myself in future.

(Beware though... because I might have my fingers crossed as I type this)

Thanks again Morrowinders

Badger
Post Wed May 29, 2002 8:16 am
bpdlr
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Badger,

Should have ordered the game from the states like I did. Been playing it for two weeks already m8!!! :p

My views are changing radically about levelling. I thought I was going to get heavily into the roleplaying side, but then got really frustrated with how weak my thief character was. I've also made the mistake of signing up for every guild I could. Now I'm starting to think that I should have stuck with the roleplaying more, and left some of the game for a replay or two. After I finish it this time, I might have to wait a while before I replay it as it will all still be fresh in my mind.

Don't listen to the power-levellers: play it your way, and stick with it. If you power-level you will find the game becomes way too easy, whereas proper role-playing will bring you challenge and satisfaction.

BaZ
Boycott Shampoo!
Demand REAL poo!
Post Wed May 29, 2002 1:38 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

One warning though, MW is great fun, but don't expect the non-linear masterpiece that Bethesda promised. The main quest is completely linear, you can't even find out what the next quest is until you finish the previous one. The guild quests provide distractions from the main quest so that it seems less linear, but it really isn't. If you focus on the main quest for too long you start to realize just how very linear it is.
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Wed May 29, 2002 2:14 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

[quote="Gig"]The main quest is completely linear, you can't even find out what the next quest is until you finish the previous one. The guild quests provide distractions from the main quest so that it [b]seems[/b] less linear, but it really isn't. If you focus on the main quest for too long you start to realize just how [b]very[/b] linear it is.[/quote]

The game is freeform. The quests [b]are[/b] linear. Bute the game itself is VERY freeform. How can you make a quest non-linear unless you just say something like: "Go and find a way to kill the evil guy" and set yourself off on your own... That's not very much fun, and very frustrating.

The game IS non-linear because you can decide to forego these linear quests and just wander around the world and plunder all the dungeons on your own if you so wish! You can make it your trade to travel from village to village to steal the living off of everyone if you so wish. You can decide that you should be the only person that is worth living on this island and start rampaging everyone you see. You can decide to climb that mountain and watch the moons roll by in the sky all night if that's what strikes your fancy.

But yes, the quests ARE very linear. Do not confuse the game and the quests, because the quests do not make the game here, in my honest opinion. The quest complement this game, but it's not it's heart and soul.
Post Wed May 29, 2002 3:06 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

quote:
Originally posted by Ekim
quote:
Originally posted by Gig
The main quest is completely linear, you can't even find out what the next quest is until you finish the previous one. The guild quests provide distractions from the main quest so that it seems less linear, but it really isn't. If you focus on the main quest for too long you start to realize just how very linear it is.

The game is freeform. The quests are linear. Bute the game itself is VERY freeform. How can you make a quest non-linear unless you just say something like: "Go and find a way to kill the evil guy" and set yourself off on your own... That's not very much fun, and very frustrating.

The game IS non-linear because you can decide to forego these linear quests and just wander around the world and plunder all the dungeons on your own if you so wish! You can make it your trade to travel from village to village to steal the living off of everyone if you so wish. You can decide that you should be the only person that is worth living on this island and start rampaging everyone you see. You can decide to climb that mountain and watch the moons roll by in the sky all night if that's what strikes your fancy.

But yes, the quests ARE very linear. Do not confuse the game and the quests, because the quests do not make the game here, in my honest opinion. The quest complement this game, but it's not it's heart and soul.

I understand all this and the directionless (freeform) nature of MW initially made me feel like the game was pointless. After all, I can wander around directionless in real life, I certainly don't need a game to provide that. Once I got used to the open nature of MW, though, I began to really enjoy it. As I started to get bored with wandering from town to town, stealing everything I could steal, (I play a thief too) I started to pursue the main quest.

I disagree with you completely, in my honest opinion the quests are the game, I'm not confusing anything with anything else! After a while, just wandering the country side stealing and selling (or whatever freeform thing you do) just becomes work. I know that because I started to find myself not wanting to go to work today--in a game! No thanks, I'm having more fun following the main quest.

As for as the example of climbing the mountain and watching the night sky... so what? The real sky is prettier and the weather in MW is so bad that you can't really do that anyway. I realize you were just making a point about the depth being there if you look for it, but that comment just reduces Morrowind to a glorified lava lamp.

I don't mind the linear nature of the quests either. I'm not one of those people who is married to the idea of non-linearity. This game, however, isn't non-linear just because Bethesda included an overwhelming number of distractions. If you follow the game story MW is very linear--which is all I said and I was right. There are other games where you can just wander around not following the story, MW is just large enough to support it. To me, that isn't non-linearity, it's volume.

I'm also not bad-mouthing Morrowind! I said in the first sentence that MW is great fun and I meant it. I'm absolutely not attacking the game, I like it very much! I was just pointing out that it isn't what was promised (when is it ever).

As a side note, Badger and I have been on these forums together for quite a while now. I do searches for his posts every day because I think he's funny and sometimes he tells great stories. I was sharing with him something I thought he might find useful because I feel like I have an idea of what he expects from MW (sorry if I'm wrong Badger--stay stripey! ).
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Wed May 29, 2002 4:20 pm
Sand

quote:
Originally posted by Gig
This game, however, isn't non-linear just because Bethesda included an overwhelming number of distractions. If you follow the game story MW is very linear--which is all I said and I was right

I think the line that got people's dander up was:

quote:
...but don't expect the non-linear masterpiece that Bethesda promised.

I think that Bethesda was pretty up-front about the fact that the main quest was, in fact, a relatively linear and straightforward quest. The non-linearty was always described as the fact that you didn't have to follow that quest; you could go off and explore the world, brew potions, steal stuff, etc.

The game's far from perfect, but at least IMO it was described accurately ahead of time.
Post Wed May 29, 2002 4:36 pm

Dave
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I'm completely, totally, head over heels in love with Gig! She rocks!
Post Wed May 29, 2002 4:39 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

Sand--you're probably right, although I didn't think I was being inflamitory. I just made a statement the way I see it. I even made a point of mentioning that I like MW so that people would know I was a fan and not just a basher (Ekim just edited that sentence out of the quote). Liking Morrowind and liking Bethesda are two completely different things, however.

Dave--... Uh... Thanks.
Post Wed May 29, 2002 5:19 pm
Dave
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Don't worry Gig, I'm not a freak or anything. I sincerely do love your posts.
Post Wed May 29, 2002 5:37 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next