Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
CANONS - Misplaced tehnology that would change the war?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 3 General

Author Thread
LordHagen
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

well....in warcraft 3, developpers managed to insert planes, guns and even mortars...I know warcraft is warcraft but if they can go so far without being a humoristic game, piranha bytes could do something.....And Myrthana's story is Myrthana story. I truly believe gothic feeling won't get hurt if in gothic3 we have the choice to specialize in bow, crossbow or gun. Gun being the more powerful but slower weapon, and the bow the faster and less powerful
I just imagine myself on a horse, shooting at an orc while galloping.
Post Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:08 pm
Bartacus
Il Buono
Il Buono

quote:
Originally posted by Stiler
They had guns in circa late 1300's europe....
However you must remember, early firearms were crap, they couldn't aim at a distance worth a damn, and they took forever to get ready for a shot.

And why would it make it american?...Indians didn't have guns until the europeans and other people brought them over.

late 1300's -> 15th century begins at 1401 and ends at 1500. Still says that a canon is approximately 300y older then a gun. and it was quite some time that the gun was one shot only. I think it just became more common and that the gun has the distance to conquer with it as an advantage.

That second remark is a bit weird about Paul99's post: He said american game, not game with americans in it. Now a bit generalization: If you listen to an American tourist in Europe, you will find out pretty quickly that he hasn't got any clue about history.
Therefore you can see still sometimes lots of mistakes in movies or games that are being made by uninformed Americans.
NFG member
Post Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:28 pm
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

quote:
Originally posted by Bartacus

That second remark is a bit weird about Paul99's post: He said american game, not game with americans in it. Now a bit generalization: If you listen to an American tourist in Europe, you will find out pretty quickly that he hasn't got any clue about history.
Therefore you can see still sometimes lots of mistakes in movies or games that are being made by uninformed Americans.

So "american's" are the only people that can be "uniformed" or "no clue about histories?"

It's always fun since i'm an american that somehow magically becuase some american's are seen as "dumb" that means every american has to be.
Post Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:43 pm
Paul999999
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

quote:
Originally posted by Bartacus
quote:
They had guns in circa late 1300's europe....
However you must remember, early firearms were crap, they couldn't aim at a distance worth a damn, and they took forever to get ready for a shot.

And why would it make it american?...Indians didn't have guns until the europeans and other people brought them over.

late 1300's -> 15th century begins at 1401 and ends at 1500. Still says that a canon is approximately 300y older then a gun. and it was quite some time that the gun was one shot only. I think it just became more common and that the gun has the distance to conquer with it as an advantage.

american game devs = mindless shitty shooters.

do some research and you'll see what i mean
Post Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:47 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
It's always fun since i'm an american that somehow magically becuase some american's are seen as "dumb" that means every american has to be.

Yes, and Dutch people are greedy, etc. You just have to live with it.
(Indeed, I'm Dutch, but not greedy, I'm just poor )
Post Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:14 am
Dogar
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by Paul999999

american game devs = mindless shitty shooters.

Perhaps, but games like Thief, Deus Ex, Star Control 2, Planescape Torment and System Shock 2 more than make up for the rest of the drivel. I'd also bet that the US produces more intelligent and unique games than any other country, despite the dross.

quote:
do some research and you'll see what i mean

Not sure that I do.
Post Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:12 pm
Bartacus
Il Buono
Il Buono

Oh it's so funny that all of you did read the words: "Now a bit of generalisation" in my previous post.
NFG member
Post Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:47 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

Do you know people that actually read posts??!!

Hmm, what was it, they always say about people from Belgium...
Post Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:19 am
Bartacus
Il Buono
Il Buono

That they are much smarter then Sem's comming from Holland! ( )
NFG member
Post Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:49 pm
Jazzy_s
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Hey what is this some kind of nationalism, it's not very nice I can tell you that for sure, and it's not very funny if it's a joke.
Post Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:21 pm
Talox
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Nah i'm quite fine with the way us Australians are portrayed..... Okay I lied

Back to the subject, I think guns could be good. (provided they are implemented in the right way.)
Post Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:41 pm
Bartacus
Il Buono
Il Buono

@Jazzy_s: We know each other from the usergroups and for us two, it's a joke.
NFG member
Post Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:46 pm
Jazzy_s
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Ok sorry it probably wasn't any of my business anyway.
But you know not only you are reading this posts.
Post Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:00 pm
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

First, on the topic, I personally think that the cannons in Gothic games should be useable. And no, just some cannons do not change the course of the war. Many here did remember the historical fact that the guns of the old time were one shot - reload - one shot - reload, so the best shooter was actually the soldier who could produce more shots per minute. Best of them managed to pull 4-6 shots per minute.. But, what many forgot here, as I mentioned, is the fact that the old cannons were just the SAME stuff. You shot it once, and then you had to reload it. And reloading a cannon was a difficult and a hard and long job, as you had to pull it back, then stuff it full of powder and ammunition, had to stuck it all deep and tight into the barrel, then push the cannon back into position, then aim and then shoot. So, basically, unless the fort first wall wasn't literally littered with loaded cannons, there would be no way to stop the orc army from advancing and getting close. So yeah, the cannons would be a nice bonus, but not enough to turn the tide of war. And yes, the cannon as a weapon is older then the rifles and muskets and so on, so there are no problems with Gothic having cannons in it.

Now, as for games, or american games, then I personally like what they make. There's cartloads of superb games from US and game developers in US, more then in EU. More then in EU because US is a big country with a big market and it is easier to operate in such situation, while in EU there are many different countries with different languages, laws and so on. I am not a fan of FPS games myself, though I have played quite few of them at least once, and some of them over the network with some friends. So some people here should drop the "stupid sucky american FPS game" talk, if these games were such sucky and so stupid, how come they return such great money? Beacuse they're not bad, at least not all of them. Sure there are developers in US who's products suck, just like in EU. It's not related to the country, it's simply related to poor - or out of date - product design.

As for history, then yes, it may be that most of US citizens are perhaps not that aware of the real historical facts about Europe, however it doesn't mean that they're stupid. Not all people have dealings in their life on international levels and most of them don't even leave US in their lifetime, so obviously they really don't need to all those facts. May seem weird to you, but look it at other side - how well do you know american history? Yes, sure, it's not a very long history since US as such is a very young country with short history, but it still has been quite tense history and with a lot of events, how well do you know it? I can bet that not well at all. It doesn't mean that you're stupid, it simply means that you don't need this information and thus never really learnt it.
Post Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:24 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

We should make a seperate topic about nationalism. It's great to read everybody's reaction.

@Bart: All those things you say about me hurt me a lot. or should it be
Post Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:30 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next