Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Wheres the dang shields?(Or: Whats the point of 1-H weapons)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

quote:
Originally posted by Ragnar
Dez, BoD will be next on my list…After G2 of course. If you like object interaction with the surrounding environment, you just have to check out Splinter Cell. It is simply amazing…

Yeah i know Splintter Cell, i even tried demo of it(amaizing looking game!).I'll probably buy it next fall after i have upgraded my comp a little
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:13 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Gothic III will have a new graphics engine, so everything will look different. Including the hero. Now if you add a lot of things to game itself as well, you have an intirely different game(why only add shields, and why shields in specific? There are plenty of other things which could be added as well, like spears, gauntles, dual-wield, dividing armour into different parts and so on).That's what I'm afraid of.
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:22 pm
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

What's the matter with having armor broken down into parts and having helmets?

It'd add a lot more variety imo.
I'm not talking doing away with the armor like it is now.
But allow people to mix/match different styles of armor.

So this will still allow everyone to have the same whole complete suit of the same armor like now, while letting, if you want, to have a more personalised look to yourself.

Dual weilding and shields would be a plus imo.
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:39 pm
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

ok, please read this one cause i know most of you are sick of my constant ramblings that make no sense but this one will or at least i hope so...

i think that you should be able to buy 'sets' of armor like you can now but it should be broken down into pieces like helmet, chest, greaves, boots, arms, and overgarment (like a robe or a cloak) and be able to mix and match them for example in gothic 1 the sect camp had skirt looking things and the digger's pants probally gave more protection than them or the novice's robe in gothic 2 same prospect leather armor pants would probally award more defense

imo dual weilding would be a good thing but i wont ask for it because it would probally take quite a long time to incorperate it into the game
but the shields are still a big plus
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:31 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

ai ai ai i thought so allready u ppl wish to redo it like diablo 2 etc it will suck bigtime after it will be all in little pieces. dont u like gothic right now ?
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 3:34 pm
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

no some of us just would perfer individual pieces of armor over sets so that you could better customize your appearance as well as add some realism to the game
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:05 pm
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

i think armor system we have now in gothic is good, no its the best i've seen on rpg games.i just wish there would be more clothes and armors to buy if you are on lover lever.The way gothic handles armor is something very unique.It makes you actually feel,that you have archived something when you get new armor.HEll i worked my ass of to get accepted into an order of paladins.So it would have only felt silly if i could have bought armor like that from the merchant...Armor also repricents which faction everyone belongs.But i would like to see more neutral clothes/armors..And how about giving hero some new clothes for a change.
Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:01 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

i agree totally with Dez. the armor system right now is perfecto and indeed it would be cool to see more of armors and we probably will see more of them in addon and in G3
Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:54 pm
Nicolas
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

It wouldn't be Gothic

It wouldn't be properly "Gothic" if there where Shields and divided armor... it's like a mystery... don't ask why... it's just gothic... like that.

It would be nice to have new items... but it would lose all its Gothic quality... it's nice as it is...
Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:48 pm
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

I totally disagree…IMO, the addition of shields could only enhance the Gothic experience. The armor system, to me, is fine but the lack of shields makes the game somehow incomplete. If this game was set in the Stone Age it would fine, but it’s not.

Sylvio
Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:54 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

hehehe i think its very good right now too /me wants just more quests heheh
Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:34 pm
Nicolas
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I think it's complete as it is... it would be better to have shields... but it's completely "playable" or enjoyable this way... besides, without any shields the character looks MIGHTY... like he's too good to use any of them...
Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:01 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I personally think that in the hands of PB the sheild could be implemented very well.

I agree that it would take some work with balancing and so forth, but Gothic has always been about choice, and learning skills to build your own "Character Class", so just because mages or whatever wouldnt usually use sheilds, doesnt mean you shouldnt be allowed to do it.

I dont always agree with the typical stereotype/Tolkein type characters that everone insists that we HAVE to stick to. If you enjoy playing some kind of mixed up freak then I say have fun

Anything that adds depth to the world of Gothic is a good thing, and I trust PB to advance the game in the best possible way. They have done an amazing job so far...
Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 7:24 pm
Nicolas
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Chekote
I personally think that in the hands of PB the sheild could be implemented very well.

Anything that adds depth to the world of Gothic is a good thing, and I trust PB to advance the game in the best possible way. They have done an amazing job so far...

Not anything (in my opinion) is a good thing... just imagine if you add gunpowder in Gothic...

Generally, sticking to a "kind of world" like Tolkiens or Elder Scrolls, is good... it's like the basics steps of a story, I mean the enviroment.
Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:22 pm
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Let me ask a question...If the world of Gothic does not use gunpowder, just how would they launch projectiles out of those cannons on the galleon and others strewn about the Gothic world?

Sylvio
Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:06 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next