Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Games that have scared you
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Which games have had you on the edge of your seat?
Silent Hill Series
23%
 23%  [ 4 ]
Resident Evil Series
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
System Shock Series
17%
 17%  [ 3 ]
The Undying
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Alien VS Predator Series
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Other (do tell!)
35%
 35%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 17

Author Thread
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Undying (outstanding sound)
Realms of the Haunting
System Shock 2 (again, outstanding sound)
Thief 2 (those robots creeped me out, talking about Karas and whatnot)

But the all time scariest moment (this goes WAY back) was in a game called Rescue at Fractulas by LucasArts. You'd land your ship to rescue a downed pilot, only to find out it was an evil alien, and he'd jump up into your window. The first time that happened I almost hit the roof.
Post Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:40 am
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

Oh, I almost forgot to mention that I was completely creeped out by the mental asylum mission in Hitman: Codename 47. You have to walk through a bloody mental hospital and talk to patients who act like little kids (playing around and such), and there are corpses nearby! It's just so creepy!

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:23 pm
ShadowWolfe
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Location: In the northern mountains of the western continent.

@ Mageoffire

really??? *whips out copy of Hitman and starts installation*

I dont remember that!?! I just remember going through a small asylum level ... this i gotta see!? is it the first mission?

@ Topic

Quake 2 had some creepy stuff in it aswell, like the soldiers in the mental block... "Let me out!!" *bashes head against wall*
Quake 1 had a nice scary atmosphere too

.: Amd XP 2700+
.: Geforce FX 5900 Ultra
.: 1024mb DDr pc2700
.: 120GB UDMA 7200 RPM 2MB WD
.: 2 LG LCD Screens @ 19" Viewing
Post Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:05 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

@ShadowWolfe- No, actually, it's the second to last mission. Come to think of it, the last mission is pretty scary too, especially the ending.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:05 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

"Nosferatu" is a killer title! I tried the demo out last night after I got home, and regretted having to shut it down @ 1 a.m (school night='.'=) What atmosphere! Great horror graphx, need to get the full version asap

Does it live up to the horror crowd hype? Oh yeah. Well, the demo does, anyway ='.'=
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:30 pm
Mercenary
Helpful Friend
Helpful Friend

Bealive it or not ... I was scared when i played Gothic for the first time. I went out at night i got lost in forest and then wolfs came from nowhere it wasn't really a great meeting. It ended by me dying.

(I was Level 0 with an Old Sword.)

-=Captain of Militia of RPGDot Shadows=-
-=Leader of Mercenaries of Gothic Rogues=-
-=Proud member of NFG=-
-=Forever one soul of Seekers of Chromanin=-
Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:44 pm
dagoo7
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

System Shock 2 is the only game that I've truly found myself jumping and/or twitching. Played it again just recently after being disgusted with Deus Ex 2, still had similar effect despite the dated nature of the graphics. Probably a combination of the sounds, atmosphere, story line and unexpected respawns. "Jooiiin Us"

This game should be a mandatory seminar in game design school. Not only scary and great story/atmosphere. There was a palpable sense of tension that never left, all this stuff to do (research,upgrade, inventory mangagement etc.) and never at any point felt safe to relax and do it. Constantly on your toes. This is also enhanced by the Aristotlean unity of time and space. Not sure if it really works in drama but certainly worked in this game.
Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:05 pm
DarkWeaver
A Dark Prince
A Dark Prince

Re: Games that have scared you

The Resident Evil series....
I just can't play these games.....
Its not that i am scared, but the suddenly attacks of some creatures in the game realy gives me the creeps.
Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:45 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

I got really scared playing Gothic 2 for the first time. I went into the woods near the lighthouse in the dark, without any good armour or a decent weapon and was suddenly attacked by two wargs. I was eaten very quickly
Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:20 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Alien vs. Predator was scariest game for me.
I even could not play it and I did not try its sequel.
Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:12 pm
Graham 2
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Sem
I got really scared playing Gothic 2 for the first time. I went into the woods near the lighthouse in the dark, without any good armour or a decent weapon and was suddenly attacked by two wargs. I was eaten very quickly

The firs time I played gothic I had the crapest computer ever and I had to turn the vision sown to 20%, Imagine my surprise as I went into the valley of mines and ran into a big army of orcs.
Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:04 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Actually this one happened a few weeks ago, when I was playing Arx Fatalis @ about 2 am. It was during a pretty long gaming session, and I was quite immersed in the game, running around when all of a sudden..

the screen goes black. No cursor, no nothing. Then a voice booms out of my pc, something like "Come to meee.. I own you now" im paraphrashing of course, I dont know exactly what it said, but it was along those lines. While this creepy sounding entity is basically telling me that it owns me, It struck me more like the game wasnt even functioning anymore, and my pc was literally channeling some malevolent spirit or something. I was playing in the dark anyway, so the room is pitch black. All I can say is, I was sorta glad when Arx snapped back into where I was, and all was back to normal. "It was just a cut-scene, ThunderPaws", I said to myself, snickering at how the clever designers really got me on that one. Now I think about it and chuckle, but it did give me a moment of irrational, visceral fear there for a few seconds. Arx rules
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:49 pm
Iron Man
Dazed and Confused
Dazed and Confused

A lot of Gothic gave me the willies. The Zombies, he scream they made when you likked them, the Orc Dogs slowly walking towards you, the Minecrawlers.

This box secretly turns into a picture and laughs at YOU personally when you're not looking.
Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:12 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

System Shock 2 is the scariest for me. So well made - especially in the sound department. Also the Thief games (especially Thief2 - I thought the metal faces and chattering mechanical beasts were much scarier than the creatures in Thief 1 - although I did have some moments of panic and terror in Thief1, mostly in the cathedral mission).

I thought Resident Evil had a good foreboding style to it when it first came out (even though it "borrowed" heavily from Alone In The Dark), but IMO the series went way downhill quite rapidly, and relies heavily on short-sharp-shocks and wilfully unfair design to make up for a lack of genuinely frightening content (eg, awkwardly-placed and scarce save points & ammo, ridiculous camera angles that prevent you from seeing what you're shooting at, etc. It wouldn't surprise me if they kept the terrible control method deliberatley to make combat harder and therefore "more scary"). The complete redesign of R.E.4 looks promising.

Much better, IMO, is a game called Carrier (I played on Dreamcast, may also be available for PC). Still suffers some similar control issues as R.E. but a visible targeting reticule eases them slightly, and the game tends to avoid cheap tricks with camera angles (it's realtime 3D, but still uses mostly fixed angles; however there is a scanner which you can use at any time - it gives you a first-person view and can identify infected creatures/people ). Production values are much lower than R.E., it is obviously low-budget, but the setting, story and game are better IMO.

I really want to like Silent Hill; I love the artwork and direction, and the creepy atmosphere is fantastic, but I just don't like the games. I really like them at the start, but when I find myself solving puzzles without knowing why, or fighting more sluggishly than Frank Bruno after 10 rounds, my interest just evaporates. Annoying, because I would really like to see how the story unfolds and what disturbing sights are still to come, but I just find the gameplay itself illogical and unrewarding. Again, I will check out the 4th instalment and hope that it's an improvement.

I think the best R.E.-alike is Eternal Darkness, without a doubt. I wouldn't describe it as terrifying - it's disturbing and creepy, like a good Lovecraft story (and is clearly based on similar ideas to his) - but I do think it is a much, much better game than the others in almost every way. Kinda like xSamhainx's experience with Arx Fatalis, this game has plenty of tricks up its sleeve to depict the player characters' declining sanity (weird sounds & visuals, player actions having unexpected results, etc.) The first really strange thing I saw was when a mate was playing, his character had been through some seriously freaky business and was on his last legs - he was walking down some stairs and a couple of tiny zombies (about 6" tall) started climbing up towards him - he tried to attack them, then his character cried out "this isn't happening!" and he was right - next thing we knew, he was back at the top of the stairs (with no tiny zombies in sight). I won't give away any more, as the rest of the tricks are much better, and they aren't heavily scripted - stuff like that can happen anywhere and at any time in the game, depending on how intact your sanity is. The story spans centuries and you get to play as about 14 different characters throughout this time - so there's some variety and it means that each character doesn't necessarily have to have a happy ending! It's really well-written & directed, good voice-acting (for the most part), and has a very interesting magic system... if it had a bigger range of spells, it would fit perfectly into most RPGs (as it is, the number of spells is appropriate for the game, and the spell-building system rewards inquisitive players). But perhaps the thing I like best about this game is that it throws away all the cheap tricks of the genre (especially over-used by the R.E. series) - you can save when you like, you usually have plenty of ammo for ranged weapons, there are no dirty camera tricks, the combat controls are easy, and (depending on who you are playing at the time) you can actually be a pretty formidable fighter or spellcaster - and it still manages to work as a horror game (better, IMO, than any other game of this genre).

Wow... lot of prattling on about Eternal Darkness there, but I'm at work (apparently) and it gave me something to do
Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:09 pm
Joeman
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

When I was a young kid, I remember Eyes of the Beholder was the scariest game I played. You don't know what is waiting for you when you turn the corner.
Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:23 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2