Fight or Die *spoilers*
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Vampire

Author Thread
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Fight or Die *spoilers*

Well, the game is a blast... truly it is better than I thought it was going to be. I just got finished the plaugebearer missions in downtown and ... uh... well... the fight with Brother in the sewers (and even Jezebel in the hotel) was brutal on my character (Ventrue mostly focused on social and domination).

Even with Fortitude 3 I was taking so much aggrevated damage per hit it was horrible. After talking to Jack he did start to improve his combat skills ... but even still.

My malk doesn't stand a chance in that fight. Had a fun enough time beating that asian vampire in Santa Monica. Clans with no combat disciplines aren't as good in combat (shocking! ) but there have been times so far when combat has been the only option and I suspect there will be many more ... even as part of the main storyline.

Well, at least against humans Dementia 3 is brutally effective at taking out shotgun wielders at the warehouse (currently where my malk is sort of stuck ... trying to escape the warehouse and I've run into Sabbat gangrel who make quick work of him... any tips on that would be appreciated. )

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:50 pm
Naked_Lunch
Village Leader
Village Leader

Is it the first sabbat or the second one with the locked door? If it's the first one, just run right past him. If it's the second one, I climbed up the stairs till I got to the balcony and just picked him off with a gun. I don't think there's a way to bypass the fight but if you can't beat it, you can always just use the "noclip" cheat.
Post Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:47 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I ended up simply saying 'to hell with it' and hacking my way through the first Sabbat (the one at the back door of the warehouse), taking 90% aggrevated damage in the process. The second one I obfuscated past by climbing the stairs and going between the trains.

Then I spent points all over the place. My poor Malk has one or two dots in practically everything now. All physical stats are still one which means I have to use the blood boosting power a LOT... but hell... in combat what else is a malk going to use it on? As far as I can tell NO level of Dementation works on ANYTHING serious (just like Dominate doesn't... they're basically the same power, after all).

Auspex? If I leveled it up it would be great for using a gun... but guns at this point, even the shotgun, don't really bug vamps much (fun to use the shotgun point blank and watch Jezebel fly down the hall... pity she's back in my face and killing me in six hits before my character recovers from the recoil).

Obfuscate? Doesn't work in combat ... even if you get around the corner and use it. Well, doing that works on police ... but again not on anything serious.

So might as well blow the blood on pumping the physical stats as a Malk. As a Brujah it would be better to have kick ass physical stats so you could use the blood activating ALL of your disciplines.

Not sure how well Animalism works on supernaturals as my Nosferatu. Early game you just sort of scramble to raise defense, hacking, and lockpicking before worrying much about disciplines.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:14 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

My Toreador is a lover not a fighter, but Ive been sure to pump up the melee and defense anyway because combat is literally unavoidable. Dont ever neglect melee and dodge in this game, every character should have a strong core of at least 3+ pts in melee and dodge if you want to survive. Having some muscle to back it up doesnt hurt as well, so dont forget a couple points of strength. Unfortunately, this way of assigning points puts a little bit of a damper on the political skills of the diplomatic and seductive types, but you can catch up later after the foundation of kickass is first built.

Those Sabbat that ambush you on your way out of the warehouse should not be any problem, if they are there are rough times ahead indeed ='.'=

You already know that firearms are pretty much a waste in this game for anything other than humans, and even a human can take multiple shotgun blasts and keep coming (which is ridiculous btw, one of my big complaints with Redemption). The only advancement I use in firearms are purchased tomes.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:22 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I have to agree with the above advice. Firearms are worthless (shocking!). The only firearms worth getting are the Spaz shotgun and the Desert Eagle. Pump up the melee skills and you should be fine. Once you get a katana, you can really go to town.
For a Malk, the sooner you get 5 in Obfuscate, the happier you'll be. You can just turn yourself into a ninja at that point. Just sneaking up behind people and snapping their necks. You'll have to change that strategy in the Hollywood Sewers, but it's usable through most of the game.
Post Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:14 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Yes, I know the glory of ninja-dom from my Nosferatu ... every experience point in the game went into it from the tutorial on. I ended up with 45 experience sometime near the end of the downtown missions. I was very dissappointed that obfuscate 3 was broken and that obfuscate 4 was only good for getting slightly more distance covered per bloodpoint (and was still broken). Obfuscate 5 though... ah... sweet vengeance.

(Obfuscate 3 doesn't work: It says you can make stealth kills while invisible if you're crouched and don't bump into the guy ... but in fact if you watch the upper left corner of your screen it says 'obfuscate 3 broken: using' when you stealth kill. Only 5 which allows you to 'use' items stops you from decloaking.)

I don't know... those gangrel sabbat pack a mean punch. It is true that my characters SUCK at combat at that point with no exception ... my first 50 xp went mostly to disciplines with my Malkavian, Tremere, Nosferatu, and Ventrue. My gangrel, however, just popped fortitude, blood buff, and wolf claws and tore his Sabbat counterparts to bits. Is it just me or do those claws really suck at protean 2? Barely add any damage at all... and enemy vampires don't seem to care that they're taking non-soakable damage (guess they all have fortitude... yes, the Sabbat gangrel types should ... the plaugebearers should NOT have.)

Tempted to make a Brujah for blitzkrieg combating. I imagine the early game would play out a little different if you walked out of the tutorial with strength 3, dodge 3, celerity 2, and a wits of 2... but I already have 5 vampires on the go. (Nosferatu is farthest because he went on a ninja power-trip and is about to head out to hollywood chasing a box ... everyone else is about to go into Graul's mansion.)

Post Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:03 pm