Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
What is your opinion of Icewind Dale II?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeons and Dragons General

Author Thread
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

What is your opinion of Icewind Dale II?

If you have played Icewind Dale II, I would appreciate your opinion of this game. The reason I am asking is that I am very confused (after playing it most of the way through) by all of the reviews I am reading. They are all (at least every one I have read) very, very positive (at least one giving it the vote for best CRPG of the year and maybe best game). Personally, I find it severely lacking in all departments - in fact, I find it so tedious and boring I will soon be deleting it from my HD. But I do want to hear your opinions since I value those who frequent these halls.
Post Mon Sep 23, 2002 2:03 pm
Kizmiaz
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I haven't played it, but your experiences seems like the one I had with the first IWD, so I doubt I will even bother to get it.
Mm, I didn't like Diablo either.
Post Tue Sep 24, 2002 6:09 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

I guess I'm going to largely agree with the reviews; I'm probably about halfway through and it's pretty much everything I expected and IMO the best IE game after PS:T

I can certainly understand that many people would see shortcomings: it's entirely linear and combat driven. However, I was expecting a traditional D&D dungeon-crawl and I think it achieves this goal with flair.

RPG of the year? No, not if you expect GOTY nominations to achieve a new watermark or break new ground. Still, I've had more fun with this than NWN or Morrowind (though I admire both for their achievements).
Post Tue Sep 24, 2002 9:20 am
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

I did play this game for some hours, and it is alot more better than IWD1, thats for sure! But still, I don't like to create a whole party, but thats up to everyone, some likes it, some don't.

I think the game is a little slow, and lotsa hack n' slash, whice can be very fun at times. If i would review it, and give it a score in %, it would get something like 70%...
Post Tue Sep 24, 2002 10:59 am
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

Moved it to the proper forum.
...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Tue Sep 24, 2002 12:11 pm
txiabxyooj
Fox Spirit
Fox Spirit

yek...that about sums it up.
"The origin of things, if things have an origin, cannot be revealed to me, if revealed at all, until I have travelled very far from it, and many revolutions of the sun must precede my first dawn. The light as it appears hides the candle." --Santayana
=member of the worshippers of the written word=
=member of the Non-flamers' guild=
Post Thu Sep 26, 2002 7:22 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

I like the new sub-race system, but the game itself is too linear for me.
Post Wed Jan 08, 2003 7:55 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I might have enjoyed it more had I min/maxed my characters. I didn't so I got mopped around the floor the entire game.

It wasn't a bad game... it actually surprised me, which is how it got an 80 when I reviewed it. I went in expecting to give it a 65 or so. But it does get tedious very quickly, at least for me. I had to force myself to finish it for the review.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Jan 10, 2003 2:57 pm
DemonKing
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I enjoyed it but not as much as the original.

It suffered too much from trying to be a linear dungeon hack (IWD), a puzzle based adventure game (PST) and an epic, sweeping CRPG (BG) all at the same time.

The strengths of the other titles were that they focused on one approach and did it exteremly well. The problem with IWD2 was that as soon as I really got into it I would suddenly get stumped by a ridiculous puzzle that botched the game's flow for me. I also thought the art wasn't as good as in some of the other IE games.

Saying that the combat was quite well balanced and extremely fun.
Post Wed Jan 15, 2003 5:02 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I really liked this game. It was not ideal, but I really enjoyed it.
I read only two reviews and I agree with them. But I know that it is just my personal opinion and that I am simply to simple to enjoy games like BG and BG2 and IWD and IWD2 are games that meat my requirements.
Post Wed Jan 15, 2003 6:58 pm
Desdicado
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Other than Planescape, it's the only BI game I didn't finish, I've actually sold it as I won't retry it, when I got to the hand and I'd had enough.

Pluses

3rd edition rules are great, control over character development is great.

Minuses

Too Linear by far for me, almost no side quests or chance to Role Play.
Too combat heavy, you are ambushed from all sides at every turn.
Too much "fannying around" as we say in the UK in the Hand area, go here, do this, talk to him, take this there, do this, talk to him again.
This sort of Fed Ex type quest thing can be done well but It was just a space filler in IWD2.

In summary, if you just want a hack and slash fest with not much thought needed, great buy it today.
If you want to role play, avoid it.
(I prefered IWD1).
Post Thu Apr 03, 2003 1:13 pm
ShadowWolfe
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Location: In the northern mountains of the western continent.

i love what they did with the original IWD and with IWDII and they made it more action oriented over everyday roleplaying plus the bullying options are fun. i dont generally like the party based rpgs but ice wind dale was always an exception.

.: Amd XP 2700+
.: Geforce FX 5900 Ultra
.: 1024mb DDr pc2700
.: 120GB UDMA 7200 RPM 2MB WD
.: 2 LG LCD Screens @ 19" Viewing
Post Mon Apr 14, 2003 12:04 am
Hagatha
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Way, way too much non-stop combat. Loved the character options, loved the interface, loved the graphics. Hated the fact that the entire game was combat oriented. IWD had the right mix of combat and story; IWD2 was just a hack fest.
Post Sun Apr 20, 2003 7:27 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

I didnt like it as much as the first one.
Post Sun Apr 20, 2003 7:28 am
Desdicado
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I played it up to "The Hand", so had nearly completed it, was given some Fed Ex quests in the hand and realised I just couldn't be bothered.

Not as good as IWD, not even on the same planet as BG1 and BG2. Also not as good as any of the M&M games.

What I didn't like was too much combat, far too linear, which I hate.

The 3rd ed rules worked very well though.

All I can say is, if this is RPG of the year it shows you how poor RPGs have become.
Post Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:59 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next