light vs. heavy armor + some newbie questions
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
soltys
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

light vs. heavy armor + some newbie questions

I just started NWN (fighter, 2 weapon fighting, not standard; at "very difficulty" level). Few questions:

I noticed that heavy armor + eventual shield have quite a penalty to AC. So far it looks like light armor + 2 weapons work better. Will later they be some sort of heavy armors with at least lesser penalties ?
I have feeling, that ranger would be better choice for 2 weapon fighter than fighter himself.

Do weapons with the same size / damage equally efficient. I.e. two bladed sword and double axe (both exotic, large 1d8/1d8 damage) are the same (I don't count skills to this).

Is there cap for abilities ? What is the maximum if so ?

Is there a place to get some handbook or manual or whatever with detailed description on how all rolls/checks are made during combat, what affects them etc. etc. Original NWN manual is pretty long and imho pretty lacking in details.

Is this game completable at "very difficult" level alonely ? I keep seeing tip (during save/load screens) similar to: "this difficulty assumes you will hire henchmen. bla bla bla, game may be impossible to complete without one".
Post Sun Aug 04, 2002 11:35 pm
mikelhall
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Well, I'll try to answer all your questions...

1. The problem with heavy armor is that it has a lower max AC bonus due to Dexterity. So, if you have a +3 bonus to Dex, then wearing heavy armor may only let you have +2 or +1. This may look strange if you had on a lighter armor and switched to heavier with better AC only to find your total AC is the same. In that case, I would go with the lighter armor for dodge purposes and other uses of DEX.

1b. No, a Ranger is not necessarily a better choice. A ranger starts with 2 weapon feat, but it is only applicable when wearing Light armor. The feat you chose for the fighter is applicable in any armor.

2. I would say that the stats speak for themselves as far as total damage. Look for differences in critical threat (rapier is greater than mace). Also look for damage type. Against skeletons, bludgeoning is best. But to answer your question specifically, if I understand you correctly, the true difference shows up when you chose a weapon focus. At that point, if you chose longsword, then a longsword with the same damage specs as an axe in your hands will do more damage.

3. Define "abilities". If you mean abilities scores, then theoretically, there is no limit. But, there will be a max that you can boost a stat in the game. Every 4 levels, you can raise 1 ability score by 1 point, and you will also find rings, amulets, cloaks, belts, capes etc. that raise your stats while wearing them. So by chapter 2, you could have a strength of 25 or so...

4. You could buy the DND Player's Handbook and the Dungeon Master's Guide.

5. You can do it without henchman, but I haven't heard of anyone yet. If your character specializes in what he/she is good at (ie fighter only), then you will prefer help. There is PLENTY of experience out there, so don't worry about losing levels due to splitting the XP gained. Tomi is good for long range attacks and great at finding and disabling traps. Each henchman will help you in a different area. I found it easiest to grab a hench, go to the Recall stone return portal and drop them off. When all are there, I grab one, go adventuring, find I need another, Recall, grab the one I need, Return. Pretty easy...

Hope that helped..

=Member of the Worshipers of the Written Word=
=Member of the RPGDot Shadows=
=Member of the Sixth House=
=Member of the Alliance of Middle-Earth=
=Member of the Non-Flamer's Guild=
=Member of the Followers of Righteousness=
Post Mon Aug 05, 2002 2:51 am
soltys
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

yes, thanks a lot