E.A.: A Spouse Speaks Out
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

E.A.: A Spouse Speaks Out

There's an absolutely incredible article written by the spouse of an employee at gaming giant Electronic Arts at <b><i>Livejournal</i></b> . Here's the introduction:<BR>
<BR>
<!--StartFragment -->
<BLOCKQUOTE><i>
<BLOCKQUOTE><i><i>EA's bright and shiny new corporate trademark is "Challenge Everything." Where this applies is not exactly clear. Churning out one licensed football game after another doesn't sound like challenging much of anything to me; it sounds like a money farm. To any EA executive that happens to read this, I have a good challenge for you: how about safe and sane labor practices for the people on whose backs you walk for your millions? <BR></i></i></BLOCKQUOTE></i>
<BR>

<P align=left>She then goes on to discuss the insane hours expected of the developers there and the attitude of the company.<BR></P>
<DIV><!--StartFragment -->
<BLOCKQUOTE><i> EA's attitude toward this -- which is actually a part of company policy, it now appears -- has been (in an anonymous quotation that I've heard repeated by multiple managers), "If they don't like it, they can work someplace else." Put up or shut up and leave: this is the core of EA's Human Resources policy. The concept of ethics or compassion or even intelligence with regard to getting the most out of one's workforce never enters the equation: if they don't want to sacrifice their lives and their health and their talent so that a multibillion dollar corporation can continue its Godzilla-stomp through the game industry, they can work someplace else. <BR><BR></i>
<BR>
The article is an absolutely fascinating read. Catch it all <A href="http://www.livejournal.com/users/ea_spouse/" target=_blank>Here</A><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE>
Post Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:14 pm
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

Doesn't surprise me in the least. EA's attitude as described by the writer of this article is prevelant in numerous other actions (and inactions) by EA since about 1995.

She may be a disgruntled wife-of-an-EA-employee and so she has to be somewhat 'annoymous.'

I don't.

They are singularly responsible for destroying 3 long-term franchises that I had previously loved and enjoyed because upon acquistion of those properties, they found that they actually had to put real effort into them and real innovation-so they promptly dismantled those franchises. Somehow, for decades prior to EA's acquistion however, those franchises thrived.

EA is nothing more than a corporate bully who has crossed the line between the art of computer gaming and the money motive. They are the ring-leader of the dumbing-down of games on any platform in an effort to reduce development time to further increase their profits. When is enough, enough? Apparently nothing is enough for EA.

I have been boycotting EA for about a year now. While my lack of purchases will do nothing to stop EAs current growth, this kind of negative image will most likely mare their eventual decline.
Post Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:40 pm
TerminEAtor

Ea

Im brazilian, so forgive my english.

Im hating EA for sometime now, mainly because they shuted down some mods I was really looking forward to by threatening to sue the developers for using their licences (Ultima and Middle Earth).

Now I see they really are evil bastards.

Im not religious but Im beginning to think EA is THE DEVIL!

Ok sorry for the joke but maybe thats not very far from the truth.

I hope (and believe) Im not alone on this.
Post Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:50 pm

Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

That is certainly not unexpected. EA is by far, considered the major game publisher (and according to a recent article, is even way ahead of the publishing arms of giants like Micro$oft & $ony), but now we see at what cost.
Anyway, which is the 3rd francise, I am missing, TheMadGamer? I know they destroyed the Command & Conquer (I hate Generals. that game is so un C&C), they annihilated Ultima (I have never actually played an Ultima game, but still, these games just insipire respect). Oh yeah, I actually got some more - they absolutely devastated the Sim games, and termined one of the more interesting titles - SimMars & SimVille. Although I like the Sims & Sims 2, I still think that they are a typical EA game - nothing new, just same old thing. They are also (apperantly) just keeping the System Shock licence, just fot them selves, which is quite a mystery to me.
Btw, there are some good news in the EA - license series - it is apperently rumoured thet InXile has actually managed to get the Wasteland license out of EA "the Evil publishing Dragon"'s license hoard. After the not that bad Bard's Tale (were not EA the holders of that one too? If that'd be the case, it turns out that Brian Fargo is quite the hero and just for that deserves to try out InXile's games) I personally would be looking forward to that (and the PC version of the Bard's Tale, as I have not played it on console, but actually read quite nice reviews)
Post Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:31 pm

The Bard's Tale isn't an rpg, it is an action game with a good story and humor. I pray to god that inXile doesn't get the Wasteland rights and destroy any rpg chance of it being an actual rpg. As long as inXile doesn't have the rights there is hope.

Bard's Tale is a good action game, but I like rpgs. I'm sure action gamers wouldn't be happy if I bought the rights to Doom and made it into an RPG.
Post Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:03 pm

P.s. look at all the non-rpg console "rpgs" that get good reviews like The Bards Tale and LotR Third Age. Fbos, BG:DA 1 and 2, and all the fake rpg, action games all recieve rave reviews, but are still action games, not rpgs. Console gamers wouldn't know what a real rpg was if it flew up their asses.
Post Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:07 pm

TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Lady Armageddona
Anyway, which is the 3rd francise, I am missing, TheMadGamer?

The 3rd Franchise is the Lands of Lore series. The series took a downturn once EA purchased Westwood Studios.
Post Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:01 am
Jay
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Don't forget Privateer, Wing Commander, Dungeon Keeper, Syndicate, and many more classics are being totally neglected.
Post Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:30 pm
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Jay
Don't forget Privateer, Wing Commander, Dungeon Keeper, Syndicate, and many more classics are being totally neglected.

I was just referring to my own personal list of favorites acquired then snuffed out by EA. That wasn't to mean to neglect anyone else's list of EA KIAs.
Post Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:27 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
I pray to god that inXile doesn't get the Wasteland rights and destroy any rpg chance of it being an actual rpg. As long as inXile doesn't have the rights there is hope..

Dear Anonymous, I must say that you should stop (at least) stop praying, as that is a waste of time, as it is almost sure that inXile have the Wasteland rights.
Post Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:20 pm
abicus

nah...

this essay was stupid, ive been workin for ea many years, relax, well paid and many benefits. Long hours? Not much. I am pretty enjoy my life here.
Post Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:21 pm

Hydr0gen

re: abicus

Abicus: SO FUNNY, ROFLMAO!

Sry, I couln't react differently...
Post Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:16 pm