Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
CANONS - Misplaced tehnology that would change the war?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 3 General

Author Thread
radamlje
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

CANONS - Misplaced tehnology that would change the war?

In g2 there is many cannons round Korinthis and on a ship. SO, historicaly when humans had such cannons as there, there were also muskets. But as there are cannons in g2, there is no mention about them. Imagine if orcs would attack a fortified fort, with a few cannons. I think they would not have for chips. So all that war with orcs which, as we know use meele weapons mainly, is pulling our legs!!
Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:54 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

Imagine an orc with a cannon that suddenly is attacked by a Fire rain spell.
The time of cannons and muskets is long gone in Gothic, firearms have made place for magic.
Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:21 am
radamlje
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

But still, many people dont know magic, and why then there are still cannons and ships with them. When you say orc attacked with fire rain, imagine how cvick can the same spell ruin whole fleet of fully armed ships. I think that magic in gothic is toooooo strrong.
Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:24 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

That all changes a LOT with the addon. Magic is less powerful because the rest of the world is much stronger and in my opinion more realistic.
Yesterday I was playing in chapter 3 and went for some bandits in the cave near Khorinis (near the forest where you go hunting with Bartok). I was killed by the bandit leader who apparently was a very good archer and shot right through my Heavy Mercenary's Armor.
Without the addon I would have laughed at him and blocked the arrows a la Matrix.

But back on topic: I think the developers didn't pay so much attention to the whole magic-firearms situation and just thought it was a nice detail.
Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:02 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yup, it is definetly a bit misplaced. Also, the classical pirates had handguns that fired one shot before you had to recharge it. Still, that one shot is WAY more powerful than any crossbow or bow, a typical 500 damage shot.

I really hope they keep them as a "nice visual detail", and not something that is actually useable. Orcs with guns are too much Warhammer 40K for me.
Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:53 pm
Paul999999
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

orcs with guns lol if that happend to gothic i'd never bother playing it.
Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:08 pm
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

hmm i would find it quite neat if the orcs had far more advanged technoly in their possession than humans.I like being the underdog

Like Xardas said their culture is acient or even older than human-culture.So it wouldn't be the most peculiar idea if Orcs have obtained this knowledge of how to make gunpoweder or even breed simple guns to shoot with..
Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:45 pm
LocoBaxter
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

But keep in mind, can you actually imagine guns being in G3. i cant, mainly cause it just doesnt seem fair if you want to go archer when using guns seems 5Xs better.
Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:38 pm
Paul999999
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

any kind of firearm or anything would ruin the game and turn it into a crappy mindless american game

stick to medieval weapons , or im outta here
Post Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:31 pm
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

yeah its not really gothic style .
Post Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:49 am
Bartacus
Il Buono
Il Buono

Why do people always think that when there's a canon, there should be guns too? The canon comes from the 12th century while the gun is from the 15th century. Gothic gives you a resemblanceof fantasy mixed with the dark ages, so guns are really out of place. The thing that disturbs me is that they are not used what so ever in the orc wars.
NFG member
Post Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:29 am
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

They had guns in circa late 1300's europe....

However you must remember, early firearms were crap, they couldn't aim at a distance worth a damn, and they took forever to get ready for a shot.

This is why bows/swords/armor and such lasted a little while after guns were first being used.

And why would it make it american?...Indians didn't have guns until the europeans and other people brought them over.

I, for one, wouldn't mind technology in the world moving to the point where there are very very very rudemintary guns.

They would NOT make bows/arrows obselete, as you'd have one shot generally and the aim would be crap unless you're close.

I always wondered why people are so against that happening in a series of games, they always compare it to an fps and say "it'll just be a generic fps then........instead of the general generic sword/magic/bow that about every other rpg does.

Name one rpg that used early firearms mixed with swords/bows/magic in a middle ages'ish type setting? There's not many if any at all...so how would it be "generic" to have? I think it'd be damn neat and logical to have as the series keeps progressing.
Post Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:18 pm
LocoBaxter
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

i guess it would make sense. but i hope they dont put rifles in, it would just seem out of place for Gothic.

not all american games are fps. All our GOOD games are fps, but we manage a decent rpg now and then.
Post Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:14 pm
Jazzy_s
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by Bartacus
Why do people always think that when there's a canon, there should be guns too? The canon comes from the 12th century while the gun is from the 15th century. Gothic gives you a resemblanceof fantasy mixed with the dark ages, so guns are really out of place. The thing that disturbs me is that they are not used what so ever in the orc wars.

Yes you are absolutely right cannons are mutch more older then guns.
And what guns are you talking about in gothic,you want guns play Counter Strike or something like that, guns ain't for gothic.
And to answer Stilers question, in Arcanum of steamwork and magic obscura they used early firearms and swords and the game realy stinked.
So cannons can just decorate gothic and nothing more.
Post Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:20 pm
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

quote:
Originally posted by Jazzy_s
quote:
Originally posted by Bartacus

Yes you are absolutely right cannons are mutch more older then guns.
And what guns are you talking about in gothic,you want guns play Counter Strike or something like that, guns ain't for gothic.
And to answer Stilers question, in Arcanum of steamwork and magic obscura they used early firearms and swords and the game realy stinked.
So cannons can just decorate gothic and nothing more.

Arcanum was more of a retro/industrial mixed with swords/guns, i'm talking about full on middle age'ish turn of the century type stuff.

And yea, I can soooooo see the resemblance between counter strike and a early firearm from circa 14th century....
Post Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:03 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next