Divine Divinity is Good???
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Divinity & Beyond Divinity

Author Thread
Gothic Soul
Master of Shadows
Master of Shadows

Divine Divinity is Good???

Is this game equal or better than baldur's gate.
Post Mon Oct 28, 2002 3:35 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Although there are some similarities there are probably more differences. I thoroughly enjoyed BG, so I'll say "equal". DD has better graphics with the best 2D art ever (simply beautiful), great action, good RP potential and a great sense of humour.

If you're trying to decide whether to play it or not (and you're not totally against 2D ISO games) - just get it.
Post Mon Oct 28, 2002 8:48 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

DD is good, but not for everyone...
Post Mon Oct 28, 2002 2:58 pm
Hexmaster
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I think that DD is an excellent game, but individually you will either hate it or love it.

If you enjoyed Baldurs Gate & Arcanum with a bit of Diablo thrown in thne this game is for you.

What ever you do though, do not rush this game or you will miss a lot of the subtleties that the developers have created. Play it at a sedate pace (except for combat obviously) and savour the atmos and the characters/storyline.

There are probably a few niggles that some people find annoying or could be improved, but that applies to every game.

I am a forgiving kind of guy and my glass is always half full.

Go buy it and enjoy.

Regards,

Hex
Post Wed Oct 30, 2002 9:00 am
Hagatha
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

I am a rabid BG fan, and I LOVED Divine Divinity. I loved it enough to get past the occasional technical difficulties. It is like a cross between BG and Dungeon Siege. Lots of fun, lots of dungeons, lots of story lines to follow.
Post Sun Dec 29, 2002 8:06 pm
txiabxyooj
Fox Spirit
Fox Spirit

okay, so every one here seems to be fairly postive. i am thinking about picking this title up...but i wonder about the gameplay. how long is this game? i found neverwinter nights to be a collasal disappointment, but loved the boulder's gate series. also, i hated diablo but thought dungeon siege was alright (i wanted to explore more & dungeon siege didn't allow for much of this). so given what little information i have provided, should i pick this game up?
"The origin of things, if things have an origin, cannot be revealed to me, if revealed at all, until I have travelled very far from it, and many revolutions of the sun must precede my first dawn. The light as it appears hides the candle." --Santayana
=member of the worshippers of the written word=
=member of the Non-flamers' guild=
Post Mon Jan 06, 2003 7:51 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Strange, I doubt we give you advice. You hated Diablo, but liked Dungeon Siege. Hm... Probably you will like DD. There is a lot of fighting - nearly as much as in Diablo or in DS. But there is far more side-quests, not so linear story etc.
Post Mon Jan 06, 2003 9:27 pm
Dybbuk
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I think its quite safe to say that you will like (prolly love) this game.

As for how long it is, well like Baldurs Gate it depends on you, how many side quests you complete etc. But I would definatly say that its shorter then Baldurs Gate 1-2. But still long enough to be very much enjoyable.

As for replay value I dont think its as good as BG series. But still good.

Humorvise this game is awesome! and its not corny humor which destroys the atmosphere or anything.

In a comparsion Id say, worse the BG series, better then ID series, Arcanum, Nox, DarkStone etc.

Comparing the game with Dungeon Siege is hard I think (I didnt like it very much either btw). Diablo II was ok when it was new, but I would never consider playing it again.

Edit: Forgot, I hated NWN aswell. DD is much better.
Post Fri Jan 17, 2003 9:41 pm
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Divinity is an awesome game, you absolutely cannot go wrong with that game, but take your time and savor the game, as someone already stated.

Just to mention it, if you haven't played Planescape Torment, grab that one. It's the best Black Isle title, and you can get it for cheap.

But Divine Divinity is a great, great title.
Post Mon Jan 27, 2003 2:59 am
puma
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Well, apart from technical problems I experienced with periodical crashes, I must admit the game is fine, not great for sure.

Advanteges (as to me):
- real rpg quests (not like Diablo or Dungeon Siege)
- very nice graphics and sounds, nice climate
- fine sense of humour (like bonus area or some talks with NPCs)
- pause to give commands
- wide range of items, foods, drinks and potions
- night and day, hearing and seeing distance (of monsters too)
- limited stomach volume (cannot eat too much at once); limited gold and so amount of goods that merchants can buy from you
- individual attitude of each NPC (like Morrowind, Wizardry
- alchemy - creating potions from components
- charms to enhance items stats (like gems in Diablo)
- items movability (can move barrels, stones, etc.)
- more then one quicksave (like in Wizardry
- movable windows - map, inventory, equipement, stats (you can have them open while walking, and move to any position on screen)
- placing your own notes on map
- talking history (can recall every conversation)
- statistics of monsters killed

Disadvanteges:
- crashes, crashes and crashes
- one save takes about 15-60 seconds and 20-70 MB on disk !
- some skills are useless, some too powerfull
- for a challange in fight swith to hard difficulty
- some bosses are irritating (like Josephine); spent 1 hour to learn how to harm her at all; some are just too simple if you know what to do
- resistances are very strange; you can have them at level over 100, but some spells are effective on monsters with resistance below 20, etc.; there are monsters with 100 resistance to everything, so a mage must deal with them manually (not that it makes a big deal then)
- potions of healing and mana are not useful at higher levels - use restoration instead

If not for too frequent crashes, and Josephine, I'd tell it was a great game, but it was fine to play anyway.
Post Mon Mar 03, 2003 1:06 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Definately NOT equal to a gem like BG.

The story is filled with clichés and outright copies of other games.
They try to make a serious world, but ruin it with the overflow of bad jokes.
Bad controling.
You might think that movable objects are good, it does, however, it becomes a nuiscansse, since it often makes the environment messy, and cluttery.
Graphics are on a Diablo 2 level, your character looks good, the rest does not.
Not so challenging, at least not in the end.
Armors and stuff breaks FAR too often. Smithing is a must, since repairing good magical items is FAR too expensive.
Post Mon Mar 03, 2003 2:01 pm
puma
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Difficult it is indeed only in the beginning (if you are a seasoned rpg player), but after you aquire some items and skills (if you select the RIGHT ones) it starts to be just too easy. I had to swich to har at about level 15, then it was still a chalange (mainly due to high mana cost of some powerful spells I used and need for frequent resting). But it has a balanced mix of action and quests, so generally it is a nice game (let alone technical problems).
I really hated to fight one character whose name starts with J. but this was not the last boss as one could expect
As for costs and magical items, I finished the game with over 500 000 in cash and 10 unused skill points (on Hard), so I don't think cash is a problem in DD, rather it is difficult to find a merchant with enough money to buy your loot, but there are ways...
Anyway I would still recommend this game.
Post Tue Mar 11, 2003 11:31 pm
Oldwitch
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Divdiv -as I called it-was one of the most entertaining and easygoing RPgames I ever tried out. I loved its humourous undertone,not only the jokes but the whole atmosphere of being not quite earnest but addicted to the story and fascinated anyway.
The music is beautifully underlining the well painted landscapes and riddles and plots are just as heavy(and difficult) to keep you really interested (some frustrations included)
I was just a little taken aback not to be able to finish the game because of horrible Josephine whom I could not overome.
But more of the same or similar gameplay would be a good thing!
Post Mon Mar 17, 2003 3:14 pm
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

WEll joshephine was kind of the broken boss. You had to actually focus on one of the broken skills to kill her.

I would say if you want her to be dead and forget about her, put 3 levels into traps, go down the stairs, drop 3 or 4 scorpion traps and then wait for her to die. Then forget about scorpion traps for the rest of the game or the second time you fight her.

USe shadow potions and then use the fighters special move next to her and the dwarves you wont become visible.

K the main reason shes unkillable is she casts blind. You need to have lots of spell defense up, and then cast curse, and blind right back on her. You need enough hit points to survive a while while youre doing this.

Of course a frost weapon and not missing will off her very easily.
Post Tue Mar 18, 2003 1:23 am
puma
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Hey, we shouldn't discuss the matters of how to dispose of Josephine in this thread. It was about the game playability, remember? I mentioned her as one of the worst bosses as an example, which can make you irritated while playing. I indicated that there are ways to overcome it, but the exact methods should be included in "spoilers forum", shouldn't it?

As a matter of fact I spent about one hour just to invent my way for Josephine, including similar elements as described above, but no traps! So, killing her took me another half an hour, with frequent cursing (I mean no spell, but how I was talking to myself) and crying, but the moment she was killed was such a great relief, that now I think it was fun and I can say "I DID IT!"
Post Fri Mar 21, 2003 11:01 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next