Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Actually, Goth 2 has freaking excellent voice acting...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Cold_Brains
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Actually, Goth 2 has freaking excellent voice acting...

That's right. The voice acting in G2 is excellent. Much better than the norm. It's just because it's American voices that people are complaining. And to a certain extent i don't blame them for that - who generally wants to listen to Americans?(deranged indoctrinated imperialists that they are) BUT...

I am really sick of 'reviewers' using the 'voice-acting' as one of their token negative comments about this game. The actor who plays Vatras - he is fantastic! Just listen to him speak to the crowd... And how many other games have you played with this many African-American (or African-anyone) voices these days?

And - at least the game HAS voices, unlike 'The Elder Scrolls: Boringwind'.

The voice acting, with all its many permutations (more than any other game ever) is seamlessly presented, and intelligent, coherent, believable, and NEVER FLAT.

This is a great achievement, and I am sick of reading fat, pale, weedy, acned loser 'game reviewers' slag off this game for the most token reasons.

PS anyone who desperately wants 'dual-wield' is obviously a male child with an undersize and under-functioning genital apparatus. I mean for christ saked GROW UP!!! Get off the RPG boards and onto the 'Fantasy Empowerment for Total Outcasts' site, will you???

please don't delete this thread Rendelius/moderator - okay so i'm ranting, but really, aren't you sick of the immature whining too??
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 4:33 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

heheh the voice acting is good it was good in german language and also in this english language only thing what was a little bit different was diegos voice cos he didnt had that voice in the first part every other thing was perfecto magnifico
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 4:45 pm
kugraw
City Guard
City Guard

And I didn't mind that some actors spoke several characters in the game either. Just for the sake of a little bit more realism it's not worth to increase budget and translation time for this game. But maybe the English version is not as good as the german. And when I played Gothic 2 the 2nd and 3rd time I really don't listen to most of the speech anyway.

Kay
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:04 pm
Kentamanos
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

It bugged me when the final confrontation was obviously using the same voice as Onar with a slight effect put on it (English version). Some of the voices are obviously over done a bit, but all in all it was pretty good voice acting.

Did anyone else notice a screwup on one of the voices. I can't remember where it was in the game, but I was talking to someone and they obviously went out of character and it sounded like they were talking to the board operator in the studio. Slight editing screw up there.
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:08 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Re: Actually, Goth 2 has freaking excellent voice acting...

quote:
Originally posted by Cold_Brains
...It's just because it's American voices that people are complaining. ... who generally wants to listen to Americans?(deranged indoctrinated imperialists that they are)

That statements will make a nice bar fight scene if put into Off-Topic forum.

Overall i think voice acting are okay, with some oversights & quality control problems.
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:10 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Kentamanos
It bugged me when the final confrontation was obviously using the same voice as Onar with a slight effect put on it (English version). Some of the voices are obviously over done a bit, but all in all it was pretty good voice acting.

Did anyone else notice a screwup on one of the voices. I can't remember where it was in the game, but I was talking to someone and they obviously went out of character and it sounded like they were talking to the board operator in the studio. Slight editing screw up there.

Yes, I reported on this in the Troubleshooting forum. It happens when you talk to Bengar for the first time. If you ask him "What do you think of Onar?", the voice actor slips out of character when he finishes the response and makes a comment. The comment should have been edited.

BTW Coldbrains -- I agree with most of what you said. Gothic 2 probably has the most voice acting of any game - ever. Considering this fact, they did a good job of keeping the acting interesting and never flat.
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:36 pm
Cold_Brains
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

okay, i feel bad - i take my back my comment about americans. i didn't really mean it - seriously, America is obviously an incredibly diverse country, with many different voices. My favourite musicians - pavement, Sonic Youth, Built to Spill, et al - all Americans. And Noam Chomsky - the most inspiring scientist ever - an American!!!
BUT - there is a frightening degree of indoctrination apparent in that country (and my own - Australia)......
anyway - getting off topic. see you at the bar, Remus. 100 gold if you help me out.
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 6:17 pm
Iron Man
Dazed and Confused
Dazed and Confused

The only voice actor I hated was Diego's. It was abysmal. The rest were great. Speaking of the Gothic voice actors. I was watching the history channel and there was an ad for one of theprogrammes coming on in the near future. The announcer/narrator sounded exactly like Xardas!

This box secretly turns into a picture and laughs at YOU personally when you're not looking.
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 6:25 pm
SheerWolf
Village Leader
Village Leader

At first I though Xardas had a wonderful voice, and he does, BUT... now I hate it. Every 4th character in Gothic 2 has Xardas' voice, including all the dragons. Xardas, Hyglas, Zuris, Ramirez, Cord, Ice Dragon, Fire Dragon, Rock Dragon, Swamp Dragon, etc... ack!
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:09 pm
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

OK...now I know the Dragons talk...

Sylvio
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:29 pm
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

you forgot the second fire dragon and the uddragon
and as for the guy that started the thread why dont you play gothic 1 and compare the voices of the characters from there to the ones that made an appearance in gothic 2 they horribly ruined deigo's voice lares was changed but not that bad, and i heard something about lee being changed but his wasnt that bad and of course there is all this british slang used in place of what was in the subtitles and even when it is the same as the subtitles its still annoying british slang that not a damn person out of the uk would know what the hell they were talking about

but its still a great game
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:00 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

Lee's voice is the same one that was used in G1.
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 11:24 pm
konny666
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

ColdBrains, you hit the nail on the head pretty much, more or less. Vatras' voice alone makes the game so much more atmospheric. Its interesting that sometimes games with low-budget no-name voice acting (Gothic 2, Vietcong) have much better voice acting on average than games made with big-budget voice acting (Microsoft's Freelancer for one example).

Also Xardas' voice was pretty cool. HOWEVER i don't like how they re-used that particular actor for other people, I wish they had left him unique to Xardas. If I'm not mistaken, the actor for Vatras was "unique" and wasn't re-used.

Of course I don't have any problems with the hero's voice. You would expect the hero of a game like this to have such a voice anyways.
Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:16 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

Vatras was indeed with a good voice acting so was Xardas imo
Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:08 pm
joshuax
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

The voices are interesting, but what's weird is the tones they use when they say things. Inflection is all off and so even a simple sentence like "What do you mean by that?" will emphasize parts of the sentence that have nothing to do with the context.

I don't mind this, really; it adds to the oddness of the setting.

I don't understand, though, why actors who have such rich voices aren't given a bit more feedback about why/when they're saying things so they'll know which words to stress and when.
Post Thu Jul 17, 2003 7:57 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next