No support for evil characters?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Divinity & Beyond Divinity

Author Thread
Ioskeha
Village Leader
Village Leader

No support for evil characters?

I know I'm not that far into the game yet, but so far it's been zero support for evil characters. Every quest I have comes across so far has been for people that want to role-play good characters. So far I've had to turn down every single quest I've come across, besides one and I ended up killing the quest givers anyways (he caught my character trying to pickpocket him and attacked my character). It kind of sucks knowing that I'm missing out on a lot of EXP just because all of the quests so far are set up for good characters. Does the lack of support for evil characters change later in the game? Or is this a do-gooders game? Oh well at least I get to see Lanilor frozne everytime I return to Aleroth (if he wasn't such a cheapscape and offered my character a reward to saving him he wouldn't have to stand there until the end of time freezing ).

Well I'm heading back into the game. I gotts find a way to kill Mardaneus since my character told Joram she would since he saved her life.
Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:45 am
Aphazel
A Shadow of My Own Self
A Shadow of My Own Self

Most of the side-quest are for getting exp and be more powerfull char. But there are those quests where you can be selfish (like letting a boy die for your own good, choos wich persons side you're on). But I think mostly the side-quest in the game are not made for a good/evil char, but for a char with reputation.

Kill Mardaneus? lol, good luck with that.
Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:32 am
Ioskeha
Village Leader
Village Leader

Ah okay. I guess I'll have to change my mind set about this game then and try to play someone that's more neutral about the game world.

edit: It's kind of disappointing to find out that there's no real role-playing options in this game. The person that told me about it said it was a nice cross between Baldur's Gate 2 and Ultima 7 with a bit of Dialbo thrown in. It seems like, at least to me, that it's more or less a Diablo-like game with a real storyline (not that that's a bad thing - it's kind of a nice change from what I've been playing the last year).

quote:
Kill Mardaneus? lol, good luck with that.

Hey I came real close the first time I tried it. I got lucky and found a dagger in the catacombs that has +3 stun (my character also has +1 stun from levels) and +2 freeze on it. I got him down to 1/3rd HP before he zapped me and killed me.

Oh and thanks for single handedly answering all my questions here. I really appreciate it.

Last edited by Ioskeha on Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:43 am
Aphazel
A Shadow of My Own Self
A Shadow of My Own Self

huh? So you can kill Mardaneus? Umm..I would strongly reccomend not doing that.
Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:47 am
Ioskeha
Village Leader
Village Leader

Oh I'm not going to, now. I'm actually gonna start a new character and play the game more passively. This build isn't turning out as fun as I invinsioned it...the down time from sneaking is starting to get annoying (the time it takes for your stamina to regen, and I know to goes by fast but you gotta do it ALL the time).
Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:55 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

DD is definately geared towards playing a good character. You can get away with being neutral, but playing an evil character is just not rewarding at all.
Post Mon May 03, 2004 9:03 pm
Ioskeha
Village Leader
Village Leader

Yeah that's what I noticed. Hopefully BD will have support for evil characters.
Post Tue May 04, 2004 1:44 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I have noticed dialog options that would fall under the "evil" catagory in BD. But I'm playing a good character, so I haven't tried them.
Post Tue May 04, 2004 5:36 pm
Ioskeha
Village Leader
Village Leader

Now that's what I like to read. My last few games I playeed I either played a goodie goodie or was forced to. So I'm keeping an eye out of a game where I can play evil just for a change.
Post Tue May 04, 2004 8:00 pm
DruchiiSlayer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thinking about a evil char. Is/will there be a patch or whatever released for BD that allows you to be the Death Knight?
But on topic, killing Mardaneus is a bad idea, and the chars. tend to be goodie-goodie. (At least on the surface, my Survivor has just never been caught!)
Post Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:38 pm