Great game!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Leather_Face
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Great game!

I've been hearing so much about Gothic II that I decided to give Gothic I a try. After finding it on the "used" shelf at my local EB for $15, I haven't been able to stop playing it. I love the unique feel of the atmosphere. While Morrowind seems to have to much of the same (although it is a good game in it's own right), every place and person in Gothic seems to have been developed carefully by a caring team of designers. I can't believe it escaped my attention when it was first released.
Post Thu Apr 03, 2003 5:32 pm
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

Heh..that seemed to be the feeling of the majority of the people here when Gothic was hot. How can so many ppl MISS this game?? Several factors, most noticeably, the lack of mainstream advertising, contributed to many RPG fans overlooking Gothic.

I hope they avoid the same downfall with Gothic II.
Post Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:50 pm
GothicDrak
Village Leader
Village Leader

that's why some people say Gothic is one of the most criminally ignored games ever
Post Thu Apr 03, 2003 7:25 pm
Iron Man
Dazed and Confused
Dazed and Confused

and to think that i was going to buy quake 3 instead

This box secretly turns into a picture and laughs at YOU personally when you're not looking.
Post Fri Apr 04, 2003 3:22 pm
Delo
City Guard
City Guard

Hey we all make mistakes. With Gothic, it was a pretty big one though, just looking over it saying, "Eh, it's just some off brand game that nobody has ever heard of." And then get it and want to die for not getting it earlier. Let's just hope that Gothic II turns out better. But at this rate with this many people waiting for it, I don't think it will be a problem...
Post Fri Apr 04, 2003 9:07 pm
ShadowWolfe
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Location: In the northern mountains of the western continent.

I tend to not like games that are critically acclaimed such as morrowind. i hated it ... it was so empty and lifeless. I had heard of gothic early in its development and kept an eye out and was really really impressed by what I saw ... I didnt care the team wasnt so recognized as Bethesda or any other popular game developers it just caught my attention and its sad it got such horrible reveiws from big magazines... if i recall correctly pcgamer gave it 60 something and morrowind game of the month PSH! yeah right ... well thats my speil. and i think gothic II has a little more publicity but not enuff yet again lets hope it gets by better than its predecessor.
p.s for anyone who doesnt own it yet;
gothic is 9.99 in EB last I checked so if you dont have it PICK IT UP!!!

.: Amd XP 2700+
.: Geforce FX 5900 Ultra
.: 1024mb DDr pc2700
.: 120GB UDMA 7200 RPM 2MB WD
.: 2 LG LCD Screens @ 19" Viewing
Post Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:54 pm
GothicDrak
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
Originally posted by ShadowWolfe
and its sad it got such horrible reveiws from big magazines... if i recall correctly pcgamer gave it 60 something and morrowind game of the month PSH!

PCgamer gave Gothic 75%(http://www.pcgamer.com/reviews/archives/review_2002-12-30v.html) and Morrowind 90% (http://www.pcgamer.com/reviews/archives/reviews_july02_morrowind.html). It's a shame to rate games depending on how conversant they are!!
Post Mon Apr 07, 2003 11:36 am
ShadowWolfe
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Location: In the northern mountains of the western continent.

oops my bad, it still deserved better than morrowinds rating ...

.: Amd XP 2700+
.: Geforce FX 5900 Ultra
.: 1024mb DDr pc2700
.: 120GB UDMA 7200 RPM 2MB WD
.: 2 LG LCD Screens @ 19" Viewing
Post Tue Apr 08, 2003 9:15 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Great Game

I just started, and other than my terrible sense of direction, I'm loving it. I heard about it on the Arx Boards, and about GII, which sounded as good as Arx so I thought I'd try Gothic first. Can't save the world if you don't know how it got that way in the first place. It's much longer than Arx Fatalis, and has a different style, but I like them equally well. I think some of these guys that rate games don't take into account that it is possible for games with different approaches to skills, majic, level, whatever, can be enjoyed just as much. We buy the games because they are different, and to be entertained. If it does that well, it will sell and the word will get out. I've spent so much money on BAD games based on reviews by idiots I can't believe even open the box, much less played for more than five minutes. I trust the people on these forums more than any review written. I'm done preaching. It's a great game.
Post Thu Apr 10, 2003 1:09 am
Kabduhl
City Guard
City Guard

Gothic is woefully underappreciated. It is such an incredible game I hope Gothic 2 gets the respect it deserves and it spurs people to play Gothci 1 and enjoy one fo the coolest RPG's of all time.
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 1:18 am
Mike Rotch
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Gothic has never gathered dust at my house lol. I've bought four or five games since I bought Gothic and I always seem to come back to it. Actually I deleted all the games off my PC except Gothic. Now I bought Indiana Jones and the Emerpor's Tomb, a good game, and am now playing Gothic again. Gothic was the best money I've ever invested on a game.
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 2:35 am
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

now that ive heard of these mods for gothic it makes me want to plzy it again and ive beaten it 47 times, ive gotten a full game of gothic done to less than a week of play time yet i still want to play it, that tells you that im either a fiend or that the game kicks ass, i just hope that g2 has a better combat system
Post Tue May 20, 2003 11:43 pm
Exetor
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Gothic I vs TES3: Morrowind

quote:
Originally posted by GothicDrak
quote:
Originally posted by ShadowWolfe
and its sad it got such horrible reveiws from big magazines... if i recall correctly pcgamer gave it 60 something and morrowind game of the month PSH!

PCgamer gave Gothic 75%(http://www.pcgamer.com/reviews/archives/review_2002-12-30v.html) and Morrowind 90% (http://www.pcgamer.com/reviews/archives/reviews_july02_morrowind.html). It's a shame to rate games depending on how conversant they are!!

I first played Morrowind, and was fascinated with it, then I played the add-on "Tribunal" (a little disapointing, but STILL I considered Morrowind the greatest of MANY RPG's I've been playing since the 1970's).

Then I got an offer for Gothic I for $6, read a little on-line about it, found the web-sites, and SUDDENLY DISCOVERED how GREAT this game is!!!

KUDOS to the game makers!! I LOVE THIS GAME!!!

Everyone was raving about DungeonSiege, which I played, but was far more impressed by the gfx than the story or gameplay.

Gothic I HAS IT ALL!!!

I Love This Game!

BTW: I'm a 53-year-old man...a veteren of countless D&D-based (AND otherwise) CRPGs. Gothic has me by the balls. The most unfortunate aspect of the game is that there were NO WOMEN (worth mentioning) in tha game. I guess it was a MANLY game, in the German way....:=)

I'm almost done with it and am eagerly awaiting Gothic II.
BRING IT ON!!!
Post Thu May 22, 2003 3:56 am
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

exector its nice to hear that good rpgs can be appreciated by people older than teenagers or in their 20's
Post Fri May 23, 2003 10:37 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Well, many of us old geezers are playing games and haunt the RPGDot forums .
Post Fri May 23, 2003 10:51 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next