Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
new nvidia drivers v40.41 - performance increase?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Brenner
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

new nvidia drivers v40.41 - performance increase?

that is right. get them at www.nvidia.com. they claim up to 25% improvement in speed. i gues most of the optimizations are for gf4 owners, but i've been reading gf3 owners still get a decent boost.

i will try these with morrowind once i get the chance this evening.
Post Thu Aug 29, 2002 6:07 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Oh my - another update within one month!

it will be "dreadful download" with my 56k modem, *sigh*
Post Thu Aug 29, 2002 7:03 pm
Jung
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

I hope these don't cause ctd in MW like the 3. drivers.
Post Thu Aug 29, 2002 7:14 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Eh?? there is lines that said "...Detonator 40 is the beta graphics driver..." Beta? is it final version yet?

Also, under Release date it notify that: "WHQL Certification Pending" which mean......?
Post Thu Aug 29, 2002 7:39 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

I see a notable performance increase, however this driver has slight (not really annoying) problems with realtime shadows in Morrowind.

Make sure you deinstall the previous drivers with a utility before installing the new ones. And if you don't, yu'll remember my words *g*
Post Thu Aug 29, 2002 10:27 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

okay i answer my own question = "WHQL Certification Pending" which mean......? = "It happens all the time with drivers that haven't been submitted to MS for compatibility testing. They're fine."

here is some info/advise i got from technical website to share with you all =

"Couple things here.
One the performance gain claim of 25% in not across the boards but rather in certain isolated benchmarks. The 3DMark Nature test is a good example and yes there is a 25%+ gain there.
Two its clear that the IQ has been dropped in part to accomodate and facilitate these higher scores.
Three only the GF4 and to a much lesser extent the GF3's will notice this level of improvement. Most GF2 owners see virtually nothing in the way of performance gains.
Four the Win9x version should be out next week"
Post Fri Aug 30, 2002 5:32 am
Early Q
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

This is all to try and combat the Radeon 9700 .
Post Sun Sep 01, 2002 8:57 am
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

The NVIDIA upgrade 40.41 is very unstable. I'm speaking from my own experience of course. It caused my computer to crash and restart without warning whenever running any program which required a high performance video driver. I had to roll back to my older driver.
Post Wed Sep 04, 2002 9:58 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

quote:
Originally posted by SirDiety
The NVIDIA upgrade 40.41 is very unstable. I'm speaking from my own experience of course. It caused my computer to crash and restart without warning whenever running any program which required a high performance video driver. I had to roll back to my older driver.

The driver working fine on my system. Remember to uninstall your old driver first - although in my case sometime i didn't do that, i just overwrite my old driver and still cause no problem on my computer.

I use GF2, so there is not performance increase at all in Morrowind. In fact, my FPS dropped one point when i am at Balmore compare to previous driver, dammit....
Post Thu Sep 05, 2002 7:46 pm
SunSpot
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Rendelius
I see a notable performance increase, however this driver has slight (not really annoying) problems with realtime shadows in Morrowind.

Make sure you deinstall the previous drivers with a utility before installing the new ones. And if you don't, yu'll remember my words *g*

these drivers have an bugg/lowperformance for your gf3ti200 card my friend. try to go into your bios and turn of WS for the agp... But only if u have ur fastwrites enabled.

and also, u will get an vertex shader problem and shadow buffer problem.

I just bought an gf3ti200 and overclocked it to 240/540 so its running over the stock speed of the ti500 =)

I noticed when I installed 30.30 everything is fine, but less frames in areas when close to water...and the increase in fps is around 15fps near water with 40.41... went from 27fps to 48fps average in nature bench with the 40.41 =) but its to buggy for me, so im waiting for the whql release..

peace out
Post Thu Sep 05, 2002 10:18 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Yeah, wait for whql release. Actually 40.41 still have problem with anisotropic filtering (if you push the slider bar to 2 the functionality would stuck there even you push back to 0).

Anyway, i changed 40.41 back to 29.x driver = i noticed some minor performance increase in Morrowind.
Post Fri Sep 06, 2002 5:03 pm