Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Elder Scrolls 3 - Morrowind (PC, Single-Player RPG)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Games Comments

Author Thread
Kliven

Morrowind NPC flatness, Editor, etc

Greets. A long post 'bout Morrowind's flaws vs. advantages:

NPC "flatness" Yes all the NPCs say the same things, and it really does detract from the game; this is something which absolutely needed some further addressing in a RP-oriented game (not so much hack-n-slash), especially when you consider that they took 6 years to make MW! Scripting exists for certain NPCs, but usually only in very limited situations. Even character actions are not always recognized by NPCs (like certain bugs in the dialogue of the main quest). Mods that affect NPC dialogue often reproduce in every NPC too, which is REALLY bad.

The initial MW Journal system was WAY unwieldy, but Tribunal reigned it in somewhat with a Quests / Topics parsed search-by-name list; it still gets confusing at times if you forget the actual title of the topic/quest, which is usually a dialogue reference such as "little secret" or "latest rumors". And yes, this means that you have to buy Tribunal or Bloodmoon for the fix. Agreed with prior comments: you shouldn't be expected to remember every last detail of the game! To be fair tho, other game's journals have this issue too (BG/IWD come to mind).

To the RPGDot Editor: The MW editor does steer clear of modifying the basic game package, but it does NOT ensure that its changes don't adversely affect your SAVED GAMES, as game-world objects are stored in the saves (!), so object duplication is a real problem if you start modding a lot. Frame rates can plunge if the game renders things twice or more!

On a related issue: NEVER RESTORE DRAINED/DAMGED ATTRIBUTES WHILE UNDER THE EFFECTS OF AN ATTRIBUTE BOOSTING ITEM OR SPELL!!! The drain will become PERMANENT if you do due to an error in the way MW handles stat modifcation: this is the BIGGEST flaw in MW, as far as I'm concerned, as it is a coding-level error that should have been fixed years before the game world itself was ever created.

Travelling for hours on end: Yep. Them's a heap o' runnin'. Don't like it? As has been commented upon already, use silt striders, guild guide teleports, or boats. If you're in Pelegiad, get hoofin' as none of the above exist locally. You should NOT be "dropping" into walk mode when you get tired. There are no apprent mechanics to make this happen, unless you install a mod that enforces "reality" into the game's fatigue system (these do exist). Personally, I LIKE the running, as it makes the game more "real". The first time I played, I stopped to rest, and looked up. The moons were out in the night sky as the clouds moved, and it felt like I was really there; I could practically feel the night air. The "hiking" across country angle isn't for everyone, but it's very cool if you're into that sort of thing, and there ARE shortcuts if you look carefully and have decent acrobatics (climbing) skill. Again, if you don't like it, take the darn bug-bus.

Better climbing mechanics would have been nice, and the fighting sytem is not as deep as most folks would like. This is especially true if you generally play Japanese games with the fifty million "Specialo-Maneuva Haduuuken!" combo moves. There ARE tactics in MW, but they mostly come down to weapon choice and how you use each weapon (slash/thrust/chop, and quick weak strikes or slow hard hits); sneak attacks are often crits, as well. Using a spear, for instance, means no shield to block with, but can keep you out of range of most enemy attacks so that you won't need to block. A little more variety MIGHT be nice, but remember that this is a OCCIDENTAL-ish sort of game, not generally Oriental. Martial arts in the west were always more group-formation and strategy/tactics oriented. Even the Oriental martial arts really only started to look like they do now within the last five or six hundred years.

Yes, the game crashes a lot. Aargh. Usually this occurs in-between game areas/cels, especially if you move very quickly, or are using 1st person perspective. Intense combat can do it also, especially if you use flashy spells.

As has been stated by others, you really CAN do just about anything. Playing a different character can alter things considerably, the time I played an Orc fighter and had folks ignoring me and insulting my intelligence (with actual dialogue sound file insults to boot) was quite a change from my Dunmer thief/mage type (who was generally respected and received quests and gold far beyond the Orc's ability), or my (personally created) super-high-charisma race, whom everyone loved. Some quests will simply not be open if someone doesn't like you, or if you're in the wrong guild or house.

Even better, mods (there are too many to count; I've got Gigs saved) add IMMENSE re-playability to the game. "Total Conversion" mods, such as "Sword of the Perithia" have you playing a whole new game! For free! The "newness" factor is a big plus.

The graphics are pretty darn good. No, it's not FFX, but FFX didn't let you do anything but push the main char in a line every now and then; even the combats were scripted. Yes, games newer than MW have better graphics: DUH. Some of them DON'T have better graphics, BTW, which is really funny.

I just wish MW could go MMORPG. It looks a helluva lot better than EQ. Sigh.

Been playing this game on and off for a year, and it just keeps getting better.

Hasta
Post Sat May 29, 2004 12:28 am

Amok
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I must say morrowind was the first game I ever played where I got lost for 4 hours without finding a place I knew, doing numerous side quest concerning the killing of evil necromencers and falling down in a pit with very strong monsters and barely escaping with a fly spell which I "accidently" found :p
And where I had to look for deetail maps on internet to find my way back trough numerous mage guild teleportation systems and other strange means of transport. I was kinda knocked away by the endless list of possiblities, and quit playing it before it could ruin my exams
Post Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:50 pm
tolgerias
High Emperor
High Emperor

Talk about necromancers, you just re-animated a dead thread
Post Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:34 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7