Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
What engine would you use to remake a game?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Gabboflabbo
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

What engine would you use to remake a game?

Simple question =), If you were to remake an old game, what engine of today would capture the atmosphere best of that game.

I'm gonna say remake Betrayal at Krondor with the Gothic 2 engine.. simple reasons being Midkemia was full of forests and the towns have a similar look and feel. There were zones in BoK but they were big enough that it wasn't a feeling of enclosure.

I would love to wander around the Krondor city in the G2 engine.

Anyone else?
Post Wed Jul 30, 2003 1:27 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

My answer will be also an obvious one. NWN Toolset to remake most classic D&D games. As it was succesfully done with Eye of Beholder and Pool of Radiance. I love NWN Toolset abilities and planning to work on "Savage Frontier" series myself.

R.A.Salvatore The Cleric Quintet. Canticle
Post Wed Jul 30, 2003 1:33 pm
Nocturnal
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

i think the best one is NWN because is simple, and you can create an independet mod every time, thing that sucks in the morrowind editor in wich to create a new world u have to work in it for months and months.

but also if u´re remaking a rpg where u ave a party im more inclined to the Siege engine (dungeon siege), the copperhead mod shows the versatility of the engine, and with some work u can make something that its not so straight forward as the ds game

so the best= NWN Good= DS POS= Morrowind
Post Sat Aug 02, 2003 6:17 am
Lord_Brownie
High Emperor
High Emperor

I love a Daggerfall remake, with the Morrowind Engine. Morrowind lacks the scope Daggerfall had, but Morrowind does have all the nice graphics!
Phantasy with NWN engine would be interesting, and seems like a good fit.
LB
Post Sat Aug 02, 2003 11:41 am
Nocturnal
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

yeah! im treal fan of Daggerfal, i still play it in a regular basis, and i got way dissepointed with morrowind, im not saying MW is a bad game but after an incredible ambitious game like daggerfall (for its time) i think MW is nothing special for today.

A Daggerfall remake can be very challenging, because in Daggerfall the developers only designed a few town squares and the main dungeons in modules, then a computer got all of that and puzzled the enrire world.

u can see this clearly in dungeons, if u know how to read the minimap, and i mean the yellow squares in the automap
Post Sat Aug 02, 2003 3:58 pm
Parcival
Rightful Heir To The Throne

What engine you should use depend mostly on the amount of time you want to spent, wether your alone or have a team working on it and hwo close you want to stay to the orriginal.

- The Aurora toolset (NWN) is a perfect tool if your working on you own or in a small team. For a party-based games or if you want to add a lot of custom made features, there are better options.
- Most mod making teams with proffessional aspirations seem to choose the DStoolkit (Lazarus, Elemental). I thinks this is because DS offers a solid base for game-builders, but offers the most flexibility to create your own features, special effects and give the game its own ´look and feel´.
- TES (morriwind) is slightly more difficult to work with than Aurora of SDTK and you´ll have to put in a lot of effort to build you own world and not an Morrowind expansion. For 1st person games hower, this is still the best choise by default. A ´Barts Tale´ of Land of Lore remake using Dungeon Siege would be silly.
- There is af course the option to buidt your own engine, like the ERA team of the Enilno team. If youve got the time and the skills, this bringst the best result by far.
- There many more options available. Runesword2, Crystalspace (http://crystal.sourceforge.net/drupal/), the Unreal Enige (use for Ultima Unreal).

Just out of curiosity: are you planning to do a remake of any kind...

Parcival
Post Sun Aug 03, 2003 12:55 pm
ShadowWolfe
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Location: In the northern mountains of the western continent.

i tried to use the aurora engine (nwn) to make a world similar to the one found in the narnia books (lion witch wardrobe) ... i succesfully completed the lighted path and got stuck making some of the more complicated terrains ... all in all though its a wicked editor ... very intuitive ... i wish they would release the editor for Gothic ... since its very difficult scripting (atleast i hear from interviews), though it would be nice to have a simplified version

.: Amd XP 2700+
.: Geforce FX 5900 Ultra
.: 1024mb DDr pc2700
.: 120GB UDMA 7200 RPM 2MB WD
.: 2 LG LCD Screens @ 19" Viewing
Post Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:54 pm
Parcival

In fact, they did release the editor for Gothic I. Main problem is (apart from the scripting and the lack of tutorials) that you need a copy of 3d studio max ($$$) to build the actual world. No Gmax here .
Most effective for modding gothic is to make a new story in the existing world. There is mod avilable called visigoths. I didnt try it.

Yours

Parc
Post Wed Aug 06, 2003 11:27 am
ShadowWolfe
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Where can i download it? I own a copy of 3d studio max 4 ... and where is the tutorials(for gothic editor) are they in english or german? thanks in advanced

Last edited by ShadowWolfe on Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Aug 07, 2003 12:55 am
Iron Man
Dazed and Confused
Dazed and Confused

Auora Engine. I just dabble in it every now and then and its quite suprising what I can knock up in a few hours.

This box secretly turns into a picture and laughs at YOU personally when you're not looking.
Post Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:59 am
Ariel
Harmonious Angel
Harmonious Angel

Regardless of the time you need for remaking an old game with the various available toolsets, I would choose the one that fits the original's atmosphere and gameplay best.

I actually started with a remake of Ambermoon in the Morrowind Engine, because they have lots of similarities, like races, skills, overall feel. The party from Ambermoon might be a problem, and the fact that there aren't any real mounts (horses, ships etc.) in Morrowind. Wouldn't have been too bad though, but the thing that stopped me early on was the fact that while you can make really large interiors with the TES Construction Kit, you can't make them have the same structure outside. For instance, the tavern in Spannenberg is rather large inside, but if I wanted to recreate it outside, I'd have to use like 10 normal houses next to each other, and that looks stupid. Really a pity.

€: Yeah, Midkemia with the Gothic engine would be marvelous!
Post Thu Aug 07, 2003 4:36 pm
ShadowWolfe
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

you run into that problem in aurora aswell... if you take a look at the barracks in each town ... from the inside ... then move out of it and its a generic block building no matter what the inside is like ... i found that quite corny ... as well as some of the other maps in game that just seemed to be huge from the inside and small on the outside ...

Post Thu Aug 07, 2003 4:55 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

quote:
Originally posted by ShadowWolfe
where can i download it i own a copy of 3d studio max 4 ... and where is the tutorials? is it in english or german

You shouldnt ask for warez here, you wont get a very nice response.
Post Thu Aug 07, 2003 5:16 pm
Ariel
Harmonious Angel
Harmonious Angel

Chekote: I think ShadowWolfe just forgot a question mark or a comma : "where can i download it, i own a copy of 3d studio max 4 (..)"

As for the Aurora Toolset, yes, that one has even more limitations as far as designing the actual world goes. Only generic and too big tiles IMO. Might be easy to use though, haven't tried it myself.
Post Thu Aug 07, 2003 5:44 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Ah, you are correct.
Post Thu Aug 07, 2003 5:52 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next