Finally completed Gothic I, think it's better than Gothic 2
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Kranky
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Finally completed Gothic I, think it's better than Gothic 2

I completed Gothic 2 first and found a copy of Gothic 1 minus the box/instructions on Ebay for $25. Pretty pricey for an older game but it was well worth the money. I had just as much fun with Gothic 1, perhaps more, than I did with Gothic 2. I thought the old camp, new camp, sleeper camp concept was really cool! I think I enjoyed the personalities in Gothic 1 better than Gothic 2. I also thought the final battle was much better in Gothic 1, especially with the way the programmers designed the Sleeper's Temple. Very cool looking architecture. i prefer the skill system in Gothic 2 and the more polished gameplay, but Gothic 1 was definitely a treat! I guess I'm going to have to find the Gothic 2 German expansion and download the English mod. That or find a mod in English. I'm running out of Gothic games. This series is terrific! If the designers for the game ever read this message board, I just want to say kudos to you! Great job! I haven't had this much fun with an RPG in a while. I wish they were all like this.
Post Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:54 pm
Paul999999
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

"it is" better then gothic 2

I was kinda disapointed with 2 they shoulda kept it like gothic 1 style 2 felt too i dont know clean and fancy , im glad 3 will be more like 1 dirty gothic style
Post Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:30 pm
LocoBaxter
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Aye i have yet to see someone say G2 was better than G1
Post Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:57 pm
Talox
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

It is true the G1 is better then G2 but not by much, they are both great games and I feel privileged to have had the pleasure of playing them
Post Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:49 pm
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

A difficult question.

The mood in gothic 1 is definitely a winner, but the second gothic certainly has a richer gameplay.Also the controls seem to more fluent. In addition to those, the AI is a far smarter and there is no need to mention the craphic-aspect.

But you are darn right, the mood in the first gothic was a killer.I liked the dirtyness and hopeless despair more than the usual fantasy scheme with dragons and paladins.Gothic 1 unquestionably felt a lot darker.
Also the whole setting about three different camps was very orginal.I loved how developers managed to tell the main story via the camps relationships. The first time i heard my fellow magicians had been killed i was in shock! And likesaid above the orctemple was a blast! There were many other jaw-dropping moments.

The final trip to the beliar temple in gothic 2 was aletdown compared to the fantasticly designed orc temple from gothic.
Post Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:19 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by LocoBaxter
Aye i have yet to see someone say G2 was better than G1

G2 is better than Gothic, and with the add-on itīs much better!

Sure, the atmosphere and the NPCs arenīt as good, but the game mechanics are clearly improved. It simply holds the pace much longer while Gothic was obviously rushed in the 2nd half.
Post Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:55 am
X-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Unknown Destiny

Well, i liked Gothic I gameplay better. Until now i am still at chapter 1 in Gothic 2 and damn i dont want to go out of Khorinis. It is all too much colorful like we are in paradise
Post Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:31 am
Dogar
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Interesting how you played the sequel before the original. Heh, I would have found it cool to have seen the Old Camp as an active society and bustling with life in Gothic 1 after I had already seen it as a burned out keep filled with a few desperate Paladins and soldiers in Gothic 2. It probably would have worked better that way now that I think of it.
Post Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:12 am
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

I am VERY shy, so....

Sorry for upsetting anyone. The post was meant as a joke. I did not mean to offend anyone.

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.

Last edited by Uriziel on Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:06 am
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

I love G2....but G1 rules!

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.

Last edited by Uriziel on Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:24 am
Dogar
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Gothic 2 > Gothic

Post Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:16 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Gothic 1 is more fun that Gothic 2. Untill you get the add-on for Gothic 2. After that, there is no way back - Gothic 2 with all the new stuff from the add-on, the added story elements, the higher difficulty, and so on.. is simply amazing. If you haven't played the add-on yet, be sure to do so as soon as possible, it makes the game a lot better.
Post Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:24 am
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

ugg this would have been a cool thread if it hadnt been ruined by Uriziel's BS comments, no need to be rude.
Maybe Gorath will nuke Uriziel from this thread till he comes down off his caffinee high or whatever the hell it is

Being from the US I played Gothic 2 first and dont really like the controls in Gothic 1.
I hadnt been forced to use keyboard only for maybe like 5 years before, I realise that you can use the mouse but please dont act like they were planing to release with mouse support and when PB was finally convinced, they only partically supported it.

Its completly contrary to the whole desgin of Gothic, err and no I dont mean timing your swings

Here you have this huge wonderful open world your free to explore till you die from danger, free to join any camp and free to talk to or kill almost anyone.
You say you dont like killing well feel free to just knock them down and take all ther stuff
But what ever you do DONT expect to be able to use you personal pererence on key settings, especially if it is the industry standard for at least 5 years, no no no just dont even think it, stop it I said dont STOP ...IT

So my Gothic 1 expericene was severly diminished, dont get me wrong I think both Gothic games are great and some of my favorite games.
Post Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:27 am
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

Umm, dude.......my post was meant as a joke. Sorry if you did not get it or think it was funny.

Post Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:39 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

No, it was not funny. Sarcasm doen't translate well from real life to the I-net. So... if you want to be funny and it's not obvious from what you write, say so in advance.

Personally, I liked G1 better as well... it was something fresh. Sequels are rarely as fresh.
Post Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:12 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next