New stuff...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

New stuff...

Todays posted interview with Rick Hall (up at the News Comments or Games comments section) had some pretty good stuff in it. Keeping me excited about this game. A few things though I disaggreed about.

1) He mentioned that n00b characters will not be able to use the most powerful weapons in the game. - I disaggree with this design deceision. I think anyone in any situation should be able to weld any weapon or armor. But I also think that if it's such a powerful weapon it would be quite useless in the wrong hands...I'm hopeing this is what he meant but I just read it wrong.

2) He mentioned that there will be loot on critters, and he said that (or it seemed to me) that items that drop off mobs will again be the best in the game. That sucks. I for one hate questing and never find it worth my while, but to make it requied to do a quest to get that "HOLY NEEDED" item sucks. I like to play these games just to get out and run wild not follow a scriped path...thats why I enjoy these type of games better than Single player RPG's. Again I hope I am wrong.

3) Eariler it has been mentioned that the game will not be released with crafting but in the interview crafting was mentioned, but just briefly and pretty much ingnored by Mr. Hall, but it does leave me to believe there will be crafting in the game soon after launch, or maybe with the delayed launch, maybe crafting will be in at launch time.
Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:47 pm
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I don't particularly enjoy being the only one to converse with, but hey Kiff, did you see they have change the release date again. It's now Sept. 15th. Oh well...guess I'll see you in beta (hopefully)
Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:25 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

sorry didnt reply earlier, been busy with Gothic2 and X2 demo

probably beta will start during the summer then! hopefully, by that time, we might be in Darkfall beta, Dragon Empires beta, playing EQ2, WoW (doubtful), and Guild Wars. I had an actual dream about Guild Wars this morning, it was strange. I dreampt that they released so many expansion packs for Guild Wars that i couldnt keep up with it financially so quit the game! LOL. If only.
Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:37 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

ah crap! they moved EQ2 back to 10-1-04. guess no EQ in the summer now...

(i really hate this genre for that.)

that means EQ2 wont be out before Dragon Empires, and therefore,

the games likely to be in BETA now during the summer are:

-- Dragon Empires
-- Darkfall Online (hopefully)
-- Guild Wars
-- Ultima X Odyssey (unless cancelled)
-- World of Warcraft (good luck getting into this beta!)
-- Everquest2 (heck, we can at least hope for summer beta)

<sigh>
Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:43 pm
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

How are you dreaming about GW when beta isnt' even started yet? You must have had some bad taco's last night.
Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:03 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

My mind must have taken all the Guild Wars screenshots ive seen and conglomerated a game out of it, heh. I woke up a few seconds later, thinking "i cant afford the next expansion pack! NOOO !!!" lol

Last edited by Ammon777 on Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:31 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

i think im gonna get Lineage2, im so tired of waiting. Ive waited for a decent MMO for a year and a half damnit! and when i see a half-naked dark elf female im gonna try to ignore her as much as possible bcuz its against my religion to fornicate mentally...
Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:42 pm
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Why don't you try FFXI. It's been rated very well by almost everyone who as rated it. But LII is the new one.
Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:38 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

never did like Final Fantasy stuff. too japanese-cartoons-like. besides, Lineage2 has PvP !!!
Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:09 pm
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I'm back in UO, it has PvP. I started a new character on a new server so I know no one and have nothing. I'm having a blast. At least it will fill the void until my beta disc comes.
Post Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:06 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

im playing AC right now, waiting for <shock> my beta disc too. AC is pretty fun, its nice to go back to an old game and find that its even funner than before. I did try the Darktide server (open PVP), but found its way too lawless; i mean, its total chaos, nobody is responsible for what they do. Thats why Darkfall et cetera are good games, because they allow players to make laws to counteract the griefers. On Darktide there is NOTHING stopping anyone from just killing you for no reason. I mean, they arent roleplaying, they are just doing what they are best at naturally, which is being a pain in the ass. So i moved to the non-PvP server called Frostfell and am having a blast since i dont have to worry about losing everything i worked for the last 5 hours by going to town.
Post Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:01 am
Kaniver
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

back to AC

I too rejoined AC shortly after the Horizons beta ended..heh heh. It's been alot of fun...yes the graphics are dated but the gameplay is quite good. Turbine is making alot of changes that are interesting to say the least. There is alot of freedom in AC to play your own way. There trying to bring in new blood and a new server is to be released soon. For a game thats over 4yrs old it is still one of the better MMORPG's in my estimation.
Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:08 am