Stargate Worlds: Chris Klug Interview @ Ten Ton Hammer
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Inauro
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Stargate Worlds: Chris Klug Interview @ Ten Ton Hammer

Ten Ton Hammer interviews Chris Klug, Creative Director at Cheyenne Mountain, about his work on Stargate Worlds.<blockquote><em>What is the number one vision of Stargate Worlds? That is a question that has been flying through the community since its announcement. It's something that Chris Klug, the creative director, has been working on since his hire four months ago. After watching every episode thus far, he's decided that it's about living in the same world as the TV show. It's about the interaction of characters. Deep down it's about the relationships, the loyalty, comedy and the closeness that these people experience throughout the show. Groups that stick together throughout the game will benefit more because of this than people who jump from pick up group to group. Guilds will also have an important role within the game. Guilds will be your community, the squads, your family. When building technology such as ships like the Prometheus, there will be the need for many people. Those of you with large guilds rejoice! <br> <br>Thus said, Stargate Worlds is essentially a group based game. Can you solo? Yes, there will be solo tasks. However, the solo player will not get the full experience that this game is designed to give.</em></blockquote><a href="http://www.tentonhammer.com/index.php?module=ContentExpress&func=display&ceid=150&meid=78" target="_blank">More...</a>
Post Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:28 am
Sid Fynch
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
However, the solo player will not get the full experience that this game is designed to give.

The guys in marketing read this and screamed long strings of profanity at Chris Klug.

"%^%&$% dude, so what if it is true, don't alienate half our customers before the game is even launched."

Oh, and Chris, that is all nice and dandy if there are people playing the game. If populations are low, forced grouping is a no no.

"Nature uses as little as possible of anything.”
Johannes Kepler
Post Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:32 am
Inauro
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

While i agree with what you're saying about forced grouping being a no no, and i too can hear the howls of the marketing division over at Cheyenne Mountain, i think you might be reading too much into what Klug is saying.

It's easy to take that statement to mean that if you're not in a large guild, a significant proportion of the content will be off limits. But let's look at what he's really saying, "When building technology such as ships like the Prometheus, there will be the need for many people."

So basically he's saying that there will be some content that requires the co-operation of a large number of players to complete. If it's building ships, guild housing, huge weapons, and the like, then i have no problem with that. In fact, i would expect such content to be unacheivable by soloists. It just wouldn't make any sense if they could produce the same machines, buildings, or what-have-you as a large guild.

I see nothing in that statement which says, "If you're not in a large guild, you won't be able to go to Molten Core, and you won't be able to get the end-game raid armour."

My interpretation of the statement, "...solo players will not get the full experience this game is designed to give" is that content like that mentioned above (producing guild spaceships and/or housing) is not something that soloists will be able to achieve. Fair enough.

The only issue in all of this is if there are specific areas of the game, or specific quests/items that cannot be obtained/achieved by smaller groups or soloists. Content that is specific to large groups and requires the input and resources of large teams, well, there's a place for that.

I realise i am taking the optomists view and as someone who prefers to play in smaller groups i too am disappointed by the direction the genre is taking in this context. However, i'm going to reserve judgement on SGW until we know a bit more about it.

Inauro
Post Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:43 pm