TFT Screen for games...??
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Hexmaster
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

TFT Screen for games...??

I was thinking about posting this in the off topic section, but it is related to CRPG's as that is what I mostly play.

My quick question is this.

I am getting a new PC in the next month. Most of the ones that I have looked at now come with a TFT screen.

Some time ago there was an issue with refresh rates not being able to handle some gaming situations.

Any of you guys running with a TFT screen and any issues with the display at all???

Regards,

Hexmaster
Post Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:54 pm
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Actually yes, its true that they dont work quite as well as regular CRT. The liquid crystals dont respond fast enough so some times it looks like youve got a bit of lag when youre playing a fast moving game. I guess its just a matter of you're patience with computers... if you can stand it then you might as well get one but otherwise id advice a regulare CRT.

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:38 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Check them out yourself and make sure you see some suitable games running so you can make the decision.

For my own personal perspective I'm not satisfied with an LCD for gaming. I don't have a problem with the response speed: all the current models should be <25ms and I can't see 'trails' on a monitor that's under about 30ms. Might as well get a 16ms model if you're going to buy one, though.

My issues are colour depth and resolution. LCD monitors are usually 16 bit colour and I left that behind long ago. It's particularly obvious in dark areas to me because the monitor can't distinguish as many 'shades' of black. When I tried Arx on several LCDs a lot of areas were just black but on a good CRT you could see more detail in the dark shadows.

A 17" LCD is designed for 1280x1024 and there's lots of games out there that are fixed lower than that. It varies with the monitor but generally 800x600 (like Lionheart for example) looks pretty ordinary on a 17" LCD. If you're still playing Fallout or whatever this is a real issue for my taste.

That said, I'm sure there's lots of gamers who are satisfied with their LCD.
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:23 am
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

The old Dual Scan screens used to have a real problem with that, but I have been using TFT screens now for about 4yrs and I have never noticed any ghosting or lag even in the fastest of games.

I would strongly recommend getting a screen with a native resolution matching the res that you usualy play in though. When playing at the native resolution, TFT screens look much sharper and nicer than standard CRT's in my oppinion. But try and play games at lower than native res, and it gets real ugly.

If you have a choice, I HIGHLY recommend the DELL ultrasharp line of TFT's. I had a 15" 1600x1280 TFT Ultrasharp and it was the most wonderful monitor I have ever used.
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:44 am
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

The game that comes to mind when compairing CRT to LCD is GTA3. That game runs and looks much better on a CRT. Ive never had a problem with 'ghosting' or even bad shades of black... In fact, its my personaly opinion that LCD can display a still picture better than CRT... but thats just me.

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:35 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Never actualy tried it with that game. The only system I have an LCD screen on at the moment is my old DELL Laptop, and that only has a 1Ghz processor with a GeForce2Go graphics card. I think the screen would be the least of my worries if I tried to run GTA on that!

The games I used to play on my LCD were stuff like Unreal Tournament, Quake, DVD Movies, etc. Pretty fast moving stuff.

I would guess it also has a lot to do with the quality of the screen you get. As they always say, you get what you pay for.
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:26 pm
Hexmaster
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Thanks for the responses guys....

As far as I am aware, LCD is a liquid crystal display and TFT is the Thin Film Transistor type.

I believe the TFT type is more advanced than the older LCD types..(?)

Still, as suggested, I may just go along with a game or 2 and see how it runs.

Thanks again

Hexmaster
Post Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:04 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

We have a TFT in the store for presenting games, and we're playing normal, fast-paced CTF or DM games on it without any visual lag. But it's a very new 17" TFT.
Post Fri Sep 19, 2003 5:10 am
Northchild
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I use a Samsung 191T for both gaming and 3D modeling - it's the best monitor that I've ever owned. Especially nice is the eyestrain reduction after long hours in front of the screen. Absolutely recommended.
Post Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:25 am
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

I use Samsung SyncMaster 151s. It's not exactly the top of the line one, and it's 2 years old already. But I never had any problems with games on this one. Everything - 2D, 3D, action, RPGs, videos in every format - everything works fine. No refresh rate issues, too, although again this monitor is not a new one.

And I also think that this monitor is the best one I ever had (I used Sony, Philips, ViewSonic and Hansol - all CRTs, they don't stand close to quality of this one).

R.A.Salvatore The Cleric Quintet. Canticle
Post Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:15 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

quote:
Originally posted by Hexmaster
As far as I am aware, LCD is a liquid crystal display and TFT is the Thin Film Transistor type.

I am not 100% clear on what they all are. But it seems to me that LCD is a general term for any flat screen that uses a Liquid Crystal Display. Both TFT & Dual Scan (Or any other new tech they've come up with lately) are LCD screens.

I've heard of some light emiting plastic type substance that they have started using for some cell phones, but I dont think they have made any monitors with it yet.

So pretty much all Flat Screens are LCD's.
Post Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:07 pm
NeverDark
Village Leader
Village Leader

I have ImageQuest Q17 from Hyundai, nominated as the best gaming LCD monitor by Tom's Hardware. I play FPS on regular basis (AA, RvS), as well as a couple of 2D RPGs, and never had any problem with this monitor.

Think about all the benefits LCDs deliver, such as lower radiation, slim size, etc. I strongly encourage you to go with LCD, but do an extensive research before you purchase one, as not all of them are suitable for gaming.
Post Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:16 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Ours is an Acer AL 732.
Post Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:27 pm
Hexmaster
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Thanks again guys.

The one that comes with my PC of choice just says its a Sharp TFT Flat Panel Monitor with built in stereo speakers.

Its a new system so the tech should be current.....

Anyways..thanks for the inputs...
Post Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:34 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by Hexmaster

The one that comes with my PC of choice just says its a Sharp TFT Flat Panel Monitor with built in stereo speakers.

Its a new system so the tech should be current.....

I wouldn´t draw this conclusion. Sharp is a big company. I´m sure they produce more than one sort of TFT. Why shouldn´t they have a line for business users who don´t need the latest stuff?
You should make sure what display exactly you´re gonna get.
Post Sat Sep 20, 2003 2:50 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next