RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
SlamDunk
Village Leader
Village Leader

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/front_index.php

Unbeliavable!

"VERDICT: You've seen it all before, but it does look good"

You've seen it all before? IMHO Gothic introduces many new things to RPG genre....
Post Mon Jan 28, 2002 1:56 pm

Such as?

Nonlinear point based character development? Fallout, Fallout 2, Arcanum... everything else...

Freeform first chapter? See above and add in some of the FInal Fantasy and Wizardries.

Food that gives you health? Oh boy... yeah... that's new.

Mana based spell system? Um...

Different factions to join? Planescape comes to mind... doesn't change the story any there (outside, of course, the gamers imagination) except to give a few faction quests (which Gothic does not), and it doesn't change the story here (beyond a RP political point of view).

Real time combat that didn't require super twitch reflexes? Probably the games strongest point from my perspective. I'm terrible at FPS, but I could dodge and slash with the best of them in Gothic because the combat pace is fast enough to be exciting, and slow enough to handle without being a kid from the Nintendo Generation.

Interactive thief skills? C'mon... they had the same lockpicking scheme back in the SSI AD&D game Hillsfar 15 years ago...

Graphics? Beautiful graphics for a fantasy RPG. Very pretty.

Sound? Sound is nice... very nice. Persistant but subtle, and the zombie death scream had me jump the first time I heard it (being 3 am after a twelve hour gothic session, the appearance of the first zombie and the sounds it made got my attention).

Overall, I'd have to agree with their blunt assessment. It has all been done... but that's the same for all things, really. Gothic did it very nicely. I loved the game. I took a chance on it and bought it without finding any information on it, and I didn't regret it. There are SO few games I can say that about.

Post Mon Jan 28, 2002 2:12 pm

SlamDunk
Village Leader
Village Leader

Good points but...

Well, hmmm... instead of "many new things" I should have typed "a new kind of atmosphere and mood". Oh, that sounds better And that's what really matters in games. As an adventure game Gothic has emotion more than I have felt in most games today. Outcast was very similar in that department.
Post Mon Jan 28, 2002 2:27 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

If I am looking on Gothic with eyes of "profesional game reviewr" (and I am not), I must say yes 80% (or semthing like that is alright).
If I am looking on it with eyes of normal player I must say this game is great and 95% or more...
Post Mon Jan 28, 2002 2:35 pm
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

It really doesn't matter what "reviewers" say (only lost revenue to the developers). You put down your money and you take a chance. In this case it was a good chance.

[ This Message was edited by: Max Killen on 2002-01-28 08:52 ]
Post Mon Jan 28, 2002 2:50 pm
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

Well said max..

Doesn't take a set to go to a website and praise the game represented..

Nor does it take a set to be 'anonymous' and go to the same website to flame the game..

Post Mon Jan 28, 2002 2:52 pm
wesmjohn
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

"Seen it all before" my a**! Where do they find these people? On the street holding "will review games for food" signs!?
Post Mon Jan 28, 2002 3:36 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

quote:

On 2002-01-28 08:12, Anonymous wrote:
Such as?

Nonlinear point based character development? Fallout, Fallout 2, Arcanum... everything else...

Freeform first chapter? See above and add in some of the FInal Fantasy and Wizardries.

Different factions to join? Planescape comes to mind... doesn't change the story any there (outside, of course, the gamers imagination) except to give a few faction quests (which Gothic does not), and it doesn't change the story here (beyond a RP political point of view).

Real time combat that didn't require super twitch reflexes? Probably the games strongest point from my perspective. I'm terrible at FPS, but I could dodge and slash with the best of them in Gothic because the combat pace is fast enough to be exciting, and slow enough to handle without being a kid from the Nintendo Generation.

Interactive thief skills? C'mon... they had the same lockpicking scheme back in the SSI AD&D game Hillsfar 15 years ago...

Sound? Sound is nice... very nice. Persistant but subtle, and the zombie death scream had me jump the first time I heard it (being 3 am after a twelve hour gothic session, the appearance of the first zombie and the sounds it made got my attention).

Overall, I'd have to agree with their blunt assessment. It has all been done... but that's the same for all things, really. Gothic did it very nicely. I loved the game. I took a chance on it and bought it without finding any information on it, and I didn't regret it. There are SO few games I can say that about.

all these games you named...which one of them is in 3D environment with 24hr timetable and free-moving NPC with scripted AI and speaking instead of text?
I mean which one of them did it like Gothic did it? All games you mention have 1 good point to them. Gothic is all of them in one...
I never been there done that till I played this game
Post Mon Jan 28, 2002 6:18 pm
statikcat
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

i must say gothic has a lot of emotion. of course some of the dialogue is pretty bad the fact that they talk instead of text really gives this game a real REALISTIC feel. which is why i was so adicted to it.
Post Mon Jan 28, 2002 6:54 pm
SlamDunk
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:

On 2002-01-28 09:36, wesmjohn wrote:
Where do they find these people? On the street holding "will review games for food" signs!?

!!LOL!! Funniest thing I've read in a while That must be the case for GameSpot,CVG and the like....
Post Mon Jan 28, 2002 7:05 pm

The CVG review is actually just the transcript from the UK magazine PCzone as they just post all their reviews. Also the UK's PCgamer also gave the game 74%. This may seem low, but they are very strict gaming mags, awarding 90+ very rarely indeed. I however still bought the game as it sounded just right for me, its just like my other favorite game of all time Outcast. Wide open areas, do what you want story but with the added twinkle of basic rpg stats etc... 74% is not a bad score especially for a game that would not generally attract the normal hardcore gaming crowd. Its does suffer slighty from sticky controls and takes a while to get into but when you do, it rocks! excellent game, according to taste!
Post Mon Jan 28, 2002 9:02 pm

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Yes,
I agree that it is important to know how high marks they ussually give.
Somewhere is 75 very good, somewhere it is average.
Post Mon Jan 28, 2002 9:09 pm
SlamDunk
Village Leader
Village Leader

50/100 is average. Or should be. 74/100, as in Gothic's case, is above average. But sometimes a 75/100 score is considered average. Confusing to say the least.
Post Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:50 pm
NecroDancer
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I am not offended that others do not like the game as much as I.
But it would appear people who first try the game find the controls cumbersome. It seems that if they can't pick up that first item they panic (as I did). But if you can read you can overcome it very quickly.
I have played many games where you would have to learn many controls.
I feel Gothic is far more easier than most games to control.
If Gothic 2 comes out I feel like I must get it. I don't know how you others feel.
Post Mon Jan 28, 2002 11:07 pm

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 2002-01-28 08:12, Anonymous wrote:
Such as?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:

all these games you named...which one of them is in 3D environment with 24hr timetable and free-moving NPC with scripted AI and speaking instead of text?
I mean which one of them did it like Gothic did it? All games you mention have 1 good point to them. Gothic is all of them in one...
I never been there done that till I played this game

Okay... Daggerfall did all this stuff about 7 years ago (not exactly sure 94-96 time frame). Stores closed at certain hours, people went inside at night. It was truly non-linear, you didnt "have-to" join guilds, but they were available. Weather changed depending on the seasons and location you were in. You were actually able to move around as you swung your weapons without needing a third hand. There were thousands of different towns and kingdoms to visit and adventure in. The graphics weren't as good as Gothic, but once again, this game came out about 7 years ago. Yep, The Elder Scroll series kicks ass, and you can bet that Morrowind is gonna wipe the floor with Gothic.
Post Tue Jan 29, 2002 2:57 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next