Squash mines make me go squash
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > X2 / X3

Author Thread
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

Squash mines make me go squash

I just started the game and am on the third mission. The mission involves getting a good look at a destroyed gate, but the gate is surrounded by squash mines, if I get close then I got BOOM! So how do I get rid of the mines?
Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:00 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

There's a couple ways to tackle it: fighter drones and missles.

Get close (5-7km), target the broken gate, and hit the page down key repeatedly until you get back to the gate. This will mark all the mines on your sector map. By picking your targets carefully, you can clear the entire minefield with 4 drones.

You're not the only one to get stuck there.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:20 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

However, if you're unlucky like me, you won't be able to find any drones, so you'll have to use mosquito missiles. Then, if you're REALLY unlucky, like I was, you'll miss one and go BOOM anyway. Advice, get salvage insurance first and save.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:32 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

At that point in the game, the pirates were still friendly so I'd land there and save before tackling the mine field. I'd revisit before and after the spacewalk, for that matter.
Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:36 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Also, it takes 2x Mosquitos per mine. A chain-reaction should result that takes out more mines. You'll need to do this 3-5 times IIRC.
Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:40 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Or you can hire the Mammoth in Argon Prime and tell it to follow you to Brennan's triumph (better idea is to tell it to move to sector Brennan's Triumph and trade or run courier missions/taxi missions until it gets there) ... once it's there enter the sector and tell the captain to move to position: damaged gate.

*krakakaaaathoooooooooooooom*

It can take a squash or two and it's so big it will probably set off the entire field.

Sure, mosquito missiles or drones are cheaper... but I think this would be cooler. I'm pretty sure it would work (though you'd want to save before hiring the mammoth in case it doesn't) and it would be funny to see.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:39 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Considering the theory... I wonder what would happen if 16-20 mines turned out to be enough to make the Mammoth go "poof". Would a new one spawn, or would there no longer be a TL available in Argon Prime? Hmmm.

I had similar thoughts a few sessions back. I had a Paranid TL carrying a shiny new SPP thru a few sectors. A Khaak cloud (M3 + 4-6 M5's) spawned near the TL. They ended up going the other direction, but it got me wondering what could happen. Could they overwhelm the TL? Would my SPP go "poof"? Would the TL respawn?
Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:50 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

quote:
Originally posted by Dhruin
Also, it takes 2x Mosquitos per mine. A chain-reaction should result that takes out more mines. You'll need to do this 3-5 times IIRC.

The only times it took more than one missile for me to destroy the mine was when I missed, and it very rarely missed.

The whole field was removed with about 3-5 missiles.
Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:49 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Chekote, I'm guessing you were using a different type of missle. It's definitely 2 mosquitoes to kill a mine. Perhaps you were using wasp missles?
Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:35 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Quite possible. You know how I am with the names
Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:18 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

I had an odd experience with the squash mines. After trying it and figuring out what the basis sitch was (2 reloads *grin*), I decided I'd put the story on hold for a while.

Many moons later I go to the gate, armed with my Nova and about a dozen of the small missiles. But I can't target anything. "Huh? What gives here?" I cry as I slowly nose forward. "Why can't I target the mines? I can SEE these red pyramids, but I can't hit them, and they WONT show up on my targeting computer".

I resist the urge to start putting head dents on the dash board of my new ship, however, and I target the 'Nodule' or whatever that is on the other side of the mines from me and fire off 4 or 5 missiles, figuring the proximity might set them off. Nope. But they made pretty explosions when they hit the gate *grin*

"Okay mission control, I'm going in", so I steel myself for the inevitable destruction of my Nova and carefully nose in. After 15 nerve wracking minutes I get out and do the space walk thing, get the info downloaded and jump out.

So, what the HECK happened to the mines???? Why no go boom?
Post Mon May 03, 2004 3:07 pm
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

quote:
Originally posted by dteowner
Chekote, I'm guessing you were using a different type of missle. It's definitely 2 mosquitoes to kill a mine. Perhaps you were using wasp missles?

Maybe it was a patch thing, it only took me one mosquito per mine. However, they didn't chain detonate as well off of the missiles as they did off the drones.

-vaticide
Post Tue May 04, 2004 11:24 pm