What is new with RPG's??
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
rambo
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

What is new with RPG's??

I have not been playing RPG's for few (3) years, not even visited this site but few times during that time. I am now totally out on what's hot what's not. NEED ADVICE

I like games like BG series; HOMM IV etc, that have strong rpg elements but less action and quick fingers (like Gothic). I like open ended stories, large worlds with lot to explore (like MW) I totally dislike internet gaming.

I have browsed through some sites and wow there are many, but whats `worth checking out. All suggestions welcome.

Btw, Gothic comment is for version 1, not sure if the combat got any slower (I do not like too fast action on combat with complicated keyboard combinations - turn me off).

Thanks folks in advanbce for your valuable advise.
Post Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:06 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

You call G1 fast-paced!? Well G2 isn't slower than G2, but not very complicated. The combat moves are very easy. you could check out the English Demo.

Another good game is Dungeon Lords. But whadever you do don't check out the demo. It was made from a beta from september 2004 and almost everything has changed in the meantime. It's supposed to be released medio May 2005, so I suggest reading some reviews when it's released.
Post Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:45 am
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

Sem, I have tryed out the Gothic English demo. I really wanted to like the game, and to some extend I did, but while I have nothing agains RPGs that have much action in them, as long as it is good action, believe me I was totally overturned by the bad action Gothic provided, even though it was not as much as, let's say Baldur's Gate, which provides a lot more action.
Post Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:59 pm
TrD
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Lady Armageddona
believe me I was totally overturned by the bad action Gothic provided, even though it was not as much as, let's say Baldur's Gate, which provides a lot more action.

I liked Gothic action very much, and I totally hate diablo-like action. I didnt play dungeon siege more than 2 or 3 days because of all the meaningless hacking and slashing.

Gothic2 is a very good game, it has the same ammount of action of Gothic1, I think. Only the necessary, and not at all boring.
Post Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:16 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Guys, letīs not make this a thread about Gothic. He played it and found it too hectic and thatīs okay.
Dungeon Lords is not out yet, so thereīs no way we can know if itīs good. Itīs Diablo meets Gothic, so probably too fast for you.

I would suggest KotOR. If you liked the other Bioware games you canīt go wrong here. The start is a bit slow, but when youīre past the first planet it gets better and better. The combat can be slowed down.

Freedom Force vs. The 3rd Reich is a new turn-based title you may want to look into. The reviews say itīs a winner.
Post Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:27 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Sounds like you lean more towards turn-based or semi turn-based combat, rambo. You might want to check out Wizardry 8. It's older, but it gets things right. Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2 would also fall into the semi turn-based combat catagory. The combat is straight-forward and easy to jump into. The Icewind Dale games are rather similar to BG 2 since they were made with the Infinity engine as well. At the current price you could pick them up at, they are definately worth it. Temple of Elemental Evil (patched!) is great turn-based combat that is a lot of fun. Neverwinter Nights with it's expansions is pretty good. Plus the mod community for it is constantly churning out new content.
I hope this helps.
Post Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:28 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Wiz 8 and TToEE are combat heavy TB RPGs. They have 90+% combat.
Icewind Dale 1 & 2 are the combat heavy brothers of the Bldurīs Gate series.
All mentioned games are good at what theyīre doing, but some of them are very hard. I still recommend KotOR because itīs rather easy and has good production values.

IMHO NWN is no longer an attractive choice as a single player game, especially if you havenīt played all the other great RPGs. There must be a reason weīre running our own multiplayer server, though.
Post Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:34 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

I don't know about Wizardry 8, but ToEE is one of the best, if not the best in TB combat (and thanks to that one of the most marvellous games I have ever played in recent years).

After playing ToEE I could not manage to get myself to play Icewind Dale or IWD2, as much as I wanted, which for a game that is as well 90%+ combat has a terrible combat system (in my own opinion). Anyway, and I don't see why or how is the story in ToEE worse than IWD, IWD2, or even Baldur's Gate. It may not be anything special, but it is classic (as far as I learned it was one of the first modules that went on with the original Dungeons'n'Dragons rules or something like that).

Arcanum is a great games, with switchable turn base and real time combat (though I prefer turn based combat - as much as I love the game, the real time combat is terrible) and has one of the best stories in RPGs in rescent years.
Post Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:00 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Being redudant (in no particular order):

KotOR 1&2. 1 is superb ... haven't finished 2 yet ... not quite as good, but still a big cut above average.

ToEE - I loved this game. Very good system.
Arcanum - Great.
Might and Magic VII - Great.
Wiz 8, also great.
Fallout 1 and 2 - both really top notch, with TONS of atmosphere.

And that is about it for turn based games that have really grabbed me recently ... oh yeah, Neverwinter Nights might be close to what you are looking for ... but I found the original campaign too long ... the two expansions were much better, and some of the mods out there are excellent.
Post Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:26 pm
rambo
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks guys for all the insight. I might ckeck couple of the ones you suggested. I played Wizardry 8, loved it, but I think it was little too combat heavy. Now for the embarrassing part ( I really have not been playing for a while...!!!)

What is KotOR `?????
Post Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:27 pm
TrD
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
What is KotOR `?????

Its an abreviation for "Star Wars - Knights Of The Old Republic"

Very good rpg, but very linear I think. You should check it out.
Post Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:42 pm
Grolav
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I belive KotOR stands for Knights of the Old Republic (I think Val mentiond it).
Anyway, I have not played it, so I really should not tell you about it. From what I've gatherd, it's a semi-turn based roleplaying game made by Bioware set in the Star Wars universe 4000 years before the movies, Bioware are the guys who made the BG-series and Neverwinter Nights...however, after playing Neverwinter Nights I swore I would never touch a Bioware game ever again (I only got partly into chapter 1...still trying..) And after seeing Star Wars Episode II, I swore I would never set my eyes on anything Star Wars ever again...so...I'm probably not the right guy to tell you all this...

Obsidian made a sequel to KotOR. And from what reviews are saying it's ok, but nr.1 is the best. (have'nt played that one either..)

Hope that helped.
Post Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:48 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

KotOR is a big budget production by Bioware. Very good story, quests and characters. The combat is easy.
Post Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:31 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Might and Magic 6-8 might also be considered, with 7&8 being the best. AVOID M&M 9!!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:43 am
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
Freedom Force vs. The 3rd Reich is a new turn-based title you may want to look into. The reviews say itīs a winner.

Are you sure its turn-based? The demo I played of it wasn't.
Post Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:41 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next